Talon Heeeelp me with this craziness

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a pioneer 700-4,,...2014. Was goin to step up to the pioneer 1000-5 deluxe , for the 6 speed trans, hp, ect.,
Well, that was before i saw the Talon 1000x4, OMG. Now i dont know what to do.
Its just me and the wife so i was thinking i can put all our gear we normally put in the bed of the pioneer between the back seats and bed of the Talon. Its just so bad ass. Please anyone let me know if they have gone through this and howw it worked out

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re looking strictly at trail use then you can probably make either work. The Pioneer gives more flexibility with utility and the Talon has more suspension travel if you want to push speeds higher.

Personally the Talon is still a little new for me still and some early model year stuff is still being discovered. The Pioneer’s shortfalls are more well known and its new model woes are behind it.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
If I were you, Go for the Talon and don't turn back! Although a turbo will soon be a option, you may want to wait for that.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Buy the Talon but keep in mind the Turning Radius and your driving style. Your 700-4 is 14.8 feet, the 1000-5 is an improvement at 13.8 feet. The Talon X4 is a whopping 21.3 feet! If that is not acceptable, go with the Pioneer.

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know , right. Need a city block to turn around, lol. I need the 4 seater to carry all our gear to our cabin, then unload and let er rip. I figure we could put all the stuff that went in the bed of the pioneer in the back seats of the Talon

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
As a Talon X (2-seat) owner, I can tell you that, although the Talon is a boatload of fun, it is certainly not the best choice for carrying cargo. It is my single biggest complaint about the Talon - I wish it had more cargo space. Of course, you're indicating that you'd opt for the 4-seat for more cargo-carrying capacity. While it might indeed give you that, it is simply too long in my opinion for tight trail riding. That's why we opted for the X over the R. Not saying it can't be done, mind you. I'm just saying that, just as the 2-seat Talon is not the best choice where cargo space is concerned, the 4-seat Talon is not the best choice where tight trails are concerned.

As much as we like our Talon, there is a part of me that wishes we'd opted for a utility machine over the sport machine (but my wife wasn't having any part of that).

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Steve

Last edited:
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I have the X4 and usually just me. It's awesome and there's plenty of room in the 4 seater for stuff. The pioneer is a big golf cart compared to the Talon

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know , right. Need a city block to turn around, lol. I need the 4 seater to carry all our gear to our cabin, then unload and let er rip. I figure we could put all the stuff that went in the bed of the pioneer in the back seats of the Talon
How far from trailer to cabin? Maybe a UTV trailer to get supplies to the cabin with your 2 seat Talon? fwiw: I almost bought a 4 seater to carry occasional overnight camping supplies - until I saw how long they are. :eek:

Dirt Road Fabrication (no connection) makes a nice bed extender with swing open tailgate. Note: this is on the 4 seater, the 2 seater is coming (they're different).

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Other than sharp corners hemmed in by trees, the x4 is better all around handling and hill climbing than the 2 seater. I ride with all my buddies with 2 seaters and only ocassionaly need to do a 3 point turn where they dont. These are slow sections where it doesn't matter. Being able to climb hills that flip the 2 seaters over backward makes up for any of that. Think of it like driving a crew cab vs single cab. No big deal.

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
13 miles to cabin, a trailer is something we utilize sometimes to haul more gear, i know it will work, just not sure we need this speed demon , but it sure is sexy

Reactions: CID and SpeedBuggy
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
13 miles to cabin, a trailer is something we utilize sometimes to haul more gear, i know it will work, just not sure we need this speed demon , but it sure is sexy
Sometimes it’s not what you need, it’s what you want....

Reactions: CID
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Had the 700-4, 1000-5 and now Talon X.

700 only had for 6 months before realizing it just wasnt going to be the machine i wanted it to be

1000-5 was a great machine. plenty capable and great for carrying a lot of stuff and decent enough at trail riding

went to the Talon for better handling and more comfortable/ better suited for the riding I do. If your looking to haul lots of stuff It sounds like you made the right decision. Congrats on the new ride

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes, this thing is nice, like a corvette compared to the 700-4, and i noticed the suspension is much nicer , was thinking bout buyin the fox shocks for it but might have to see if i really need em.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't know about you, but ride is more important to me. The X is nice, but the ride of the R is amazing. I would have bought it with the Fox Live Valve if it had been available. The pioneer and talon have the same engine and transmission. What allows the R to roll along the trail quicker, if you want to, is a smoother ride. In fact with the long travel suspension, you don't maximize it until you do pick up speed over certain types terrain. Accelerating to extend the front suspension prior to dips and other rough spots. Yes, turn radius is a bit wider, but in 1400 miles of all types of trails, not really a big deal. Only a coupe of 3 point turns, where my RZR friends can make it without. When you encounter whoops, this is where the long travel R shines. I would rather get a trailer in your situation to haul the stuff for camp and then have the right machine for riding.

Reactions: helimech
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
There's a 30 HP delta between the pioneer and the Talon. I have the X4 (non live valve) and am happy with its comfort. The longer wheelbase helps with that. Not sure if the Live Valve would be worth the extra money (for me) and the potential maintenance/costs down the road. Interestingly, the X4 and the R have the same turning radius. I went with the X4 for wheel base advantage on hill climbing. Any of the Pioneers will be adequate for anyone looking to get from A to B, even in very challenging terrain. I surprised everybody I rode with when I only had a P500. The short wheel base of the P500 let it crawl over rocks rather than highside and the narrowness of it allowed me to straddle one or the other of ruts that would have high sided it if taken like a bigger rig down the middle. But there was no fix for the ultra short wheel base compared to the X4 when climbing hills with big ledges. I love the X4. Just wish I had more time to ride it.

Reactions: HavasuDave

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!