Helmets, do you use one?

D

Dasmoeturhead

Like it says, do you use one when trail riding or street riding? Just wondering. I recently bought a Fly Treaker MX type, so if I need it for meeting the on road requirements of Tennessee I'll be covered . No pun intended. I also see the benefits of using one while trail riding. I've had a few full face helmets in the past for street riding when I rode my motorcycles. I always liked the comfort of a full face type, even when riding my old Harley. Never understood why someone would where one of those pudding bowl helmets. I figured if your going through the motion of putting a helmet on, why not use one that will protect your CPU in your skull.

Reactions: Tflynn
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
So, TN considers the SxS to be a motorcycle? Helmet is required on the road?

I'm not sure how La treats them, since mine is strictly off road and doesn't have all the stuff for highway use.

State Farm considers them to be an off road vehicle in the same class as a dune buggy.

Personally, I don't wear a helmet. I don't do a lot of things I should, like seat belts, door nets sway bar and church on Sunday.

Reactions: allgm1
D

Dasmoeturhead

I'm not sure how La treats them, since mine is strictly off road and doesn't have all the stuff for highway use.

State Farm considers them to be an off road vehicle in the same class as a dune buggy.

Personally, I don't wear a helmet. I don't do a lot of things I should, like seat belts, door nets sway bar and church on Sunday.

I'm still not clear on the regs. I've read every Tennessee law about medium speed vehicles, and the requirements and most of what I read said you need a helmet and eye protection, plus a dot windshield. As of yesterday though I read a law that I guess it passed in 2014, saying if you have the windshield you don't need the helmet or eye protection. Seriously though, if I'm on the road I'll probably where it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll probably wear one when I become street legal. Just so my daughter will wear hers. She's only 7 (birthday is today) but she has the reasoning ability of an adult. I told her to put on her seat belt the other day when she wanted to pop some wheelies in the p1k and she wanted to know why mine wasn't on. I put it on lol. Luckily she has enough sense for the both of us.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the southern humidity and the heat these pioneers can make with windshields it seems to me adding a helmet and eye protection would border on provoking heat stroke.:confused::)

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the southern humidity and the heat these pioneers can make with windshields it seems to me adding a helmet and eye protection would border on provoking heat stroke.:confused::)
You got that right!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Trail riding we always wear helmets and seat belts. But riding around home and the ranch no

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
D

Deleted member 3748

I bring skateboard helmets along when I go on group rides, just in case it gets a little rough, but I haven't worn it yet. But... I did wear it when I made my niece wear a helmet.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Normally I wear my seat belt. Except when jumping off creek banks lol. Which is totally not a good idea. (Not wearing seat belts I mean. The bank jumping is fun as h*ll).

advertisement
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
In CA wearing a helmet is the law (I know real shocker) but not in Nevada. Last time in Nevada wife asks why we still wear them there? I said what I've always been told, in a rollover the danger isn't hitting your head on the ground, it's hitting your head on the roll bar.

D

Deleted member 3748

I said what I've always been told, in a rollover the danger isn't hitting your head on the ground, it's hitting your head on the roll bar.
Or hitting the other person's head, which is why I have a little bit of a helmet with the skateboard helmet. I should probably start bringing motorcycle helmets too. Some of those rollovers look pretty nasty.

F

fish

May 20, 2016
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
Don't start it without putting a helmet on. One can't tell kids they need to wear them and then not wear one yourself, plus it just makes sense.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remember too, your brain doesn't heal like an arm, leg, rib.

I and my 2 kids wear them some, wife refuses. I am trying to make them wear them 1 hr a day to just get used to wearing.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Remember too, your brain doesn't heal like an arm, leg, rib.

I and my 2 kids wear them some, wife refuses. I am trying to make them wear them 1 hr a day to just get used to wearing.
Having dealt with someone that suffered a serious head injury I am all to happy to wear a helmet when I feel there is a slight chance I may need it. I hope your wife comes around. I like my mx helmet, it dulls the noise, gives me a visor that won't blow off, and I can wear goggles without looking stupid!

I mean we look like a factory race team right?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm one that hates helmets but I do believe in them. Sxs we don't use them but always on the dirtbikes and usually on the quad. ALWAYS seatbelts though! Idaho where we ride is a no helmet state and not required even on bikes unless under 18. I sometimes will ride into town on the slow roads without but very infrequently. What's weird is none of us over the last 15 years have ever screwed up our lids on a dirtbike but continuously hurt from knee down. From everything I've seen on a dirt bike from my family boots are more important then a lid so BOTH are required. At the point I've got to wear a helmet in a sxs it'll lose a lot of its luster to me. Open air is part of it. If I was going out in full dress I'd just ride my bike. Probably unpopular but that's me.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm one that hates helmets but I do believe in them. Sxs we don't use them but always on the dirtbikes and usually on the quad. ALWAYS seatbelts though! Idaho where we ride is a no helmet state and not required even on bikes unless under 18. I sometimes will ride into town on the slow roads without but very infrequently. What's weird is none of us over the last 15 years have ever screwed up our lids on a dirtbike but continuously hurt from knee down. From everything I've seen on a dirt bike from my family boots are more important then a lid so BOTH are required. At the point I've got to wear a helmet in a sxs it'll lose a lot of its luster to me. Open air is part of it. If I was going out in full dress I'd just ride my bike. Probably unpopular but that's me.
I got no problem with that. People shouldn't be forced to wear a helmet, it should be personal choice. We don't need the government telling us to be safe, we should make that decision for ourselves. You know what's best for you better than anybody.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I got no problem with that. People shouldn't be forced to wear a helmet, it should be personal choice. We don't need the government telling us to be safe, we should make that decision for ourselves. You know what's best for you better than anybody.
Well put sir! And I didn't say I don't believe in them. I do but I don't want to have to wear one in a sxs. Tflynn I do admire you for being able to wear one and think anyone who doesn't mind just should. Now for my family its kind of a relief not to have to all the time. We've been having to for thousands upon thousands of miles over many years. Never ever get on a bike without on trails! A seatbelt should always be worn so your chances of needing a helmet drops to a significantly lower number. One thing though that pisses me off is being required to wear one or a seatbelt. Imo that SHOULD be personal preference not government intervention.

Sent from iPhone

JohnNH

JohnNH

Aug 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
The kids always wear one my wife and I dont in the sxs we did on the ATV though we see it no more dangerous than riding in a jeep wrangler

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Dasmoeturhead

This MX /Dual sport/UTV Helmet is working out good. I've never had a MX type helmet before. I've had open face, and full face Street types but this is a totally different animal. I really like the field of view. So far it hasn't been hot or uncomfortable in the 80 deg weather here. it does have 8 fresh air intakes, and 8 exhaust vents. Oh and I think it looks cool. So far so good.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!