100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought an open face helmet GMAX when I got the machine. Its a decent helmet and has an internal flip down tinted visor. Being a taller than average person at 6'9" I fit snugly inside the cage. I still have space between my head and the roll bars but when I wear the helmet and get some air, my head has come in contact with the bar while flying through my trails a couple of times. I was concerned about having an open face helmet so I went and picked up a bit nicer Fox dual sport helmet and some goggles. I think that this one will give me a little more protection. I'll keep the open face for a guest.
IMG 0380
IMG 0379
IMG 0378

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
On the dirt bikes Helmets are a must....But On the sxs I only wear it if they require it.....And the full face for bike But on SXS I like the open face too.....

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the dirt bikes Helmets are a must....But On the sxs I only wear it if they require it.....And the full face for bike But on SXS I like the open face too.....

Helmets are important

A220e2af722995a30ee18f6bfa837ffd
Dedebfed3d7d435a52135ffc0267a2c8

That hurt woulda hurt a lot worse without it.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
maybe I should say When I don't have one on is when Im using it like a yard cart and around the property.On trails and rutted parks we always wear one....And that pic is not a helmet that was on the head of a Honda pioneer rider with his seat belt on,

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
maybe I should say When I don't have one on is when Im using it like a yard cart and around the property.On trails and rutted parks we always wear one....And that pic is not a helmet that was on the head of a Honda pioneer rider with his seat belt on,

Ha nope, motorcycles don't have seat belts.
High-sided while dodging a deer in a curve.

All trails I have my seat belt on and slack out.
Even riding around our place I wear it. I'm not riding like a madman, maybe I SHOULD wear a helmet in the SxS?

I don't know, I'll bet Honda has done some testing. Maybe they've crash tested a sxs?

Def be interesting to know outcome with vs without if they did.

Reactions: swsebek
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I don't know, I'll bet Honda has done some testing. Maybe they've crash tested a sxs?

Def be interesting to know outcome with vs without if they did.

Helmet offers more protection when you wear it vs when it is sitting at home.
I've banged my head (helmet) on the ROPS of my Odyssey so many times its starting to look red.
Admittedly I don't ride the SxS near as hard as the Odyssey - its just not as sporty.
I think its easyer to wear it and walk away than not wear it and look kool drooling all over myself the rest of my life.

riverat1540

riverat1540

Apr 28, 2017
Algonquin, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think it depends on the type of riding your doing that day? If your just putting around and not really doing anything that puts you at high risk I don't personally think its necessary, however if I'm trail riding or on risky terrain I wear one. Also you have to remember its not always you that is responsible for a accident, and you never know who is gonna come in hot around the corner. I wear a 3/4 open face helmet as I have a glass windshield on the machine. I wear a MX full face and goggles when Im on my atv

Reactions: swsebek and trigger
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Nope no helmet here, very rarely wear seat belts either. 99.9% of my riding is under 15 mph, and no adult beverages are ever involved. If I ever get to ride by myself, sometimes I'll buckle up and hit the trails a lot faster than normal, but that doesn't happen often at all.

Reactions: swsebek
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think it depends on the type of riding your doing that day? If your just putting around and not really doing anything that puts you at high risk I don't personally think its necessary, however if I'm trail riding or on risky terrain I wear one. Also you have to remember its not always you that is responsible for a accident, and you never know who is gonna come in hot around the corner. I wear a 3/4 open face helmet as I have a glass windshield on the machine. I wear a MX full face and goggles when Im on my atv

Me too, depends on the type of riding. I carry two in helmet bags in the toolbox, they stay with the machine. No goggles though, I wear these on every ride, helmet or not.
Toolbox full 3 PAIR COMBO Chopper Padded Wind Resistant Sunglasses Motorcycle Riding Glasses | eBay

D

Deleted member 3748

@trigger - with your half windshield, is there any concern over debris from the vehicle in front of you? I'm going to switch to a half windshield for the summer and I'm also thinking about a MX helmet with goggles to keep the rocks off my face.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger - with your half windshield, is there any concern over debris from the vehicle in front of you? I'm going to switch to a half windshield for the summer and I'm also thinking about a MX helmet with goggles to keep the rocks off my face.

I just try to stay off their bumper on speed runs, like you would on a quad. You do get peppered with some sand though. I always wear the eye protection.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!