P500 Help/Advice needed on 520....Looking at buying

J

JessR713

Jul 11, 2022
Kentucky, USA
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
So I'm assisting my dad in getting his first sxs, the man still has a 1980's big red 3wheeler and is really interested in getting a 520 as a replacement for the 3wheeler as he said "he's getting old", he has been told that they have transmission issues and are super loud and have a horrible ride but no one around us has one. Another issue we are finding is pricing we've "built" one on the Honda site and it's not bad with all he wants on it but when priced at a dealer it's way higher. Is there anyone in the West KY area that can point us in a good direction? Any and all advice is welcome!

J

JessR713

Jul 11, 2022
Kentucky, USA
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
A friend who a member of their "riding group" always had these issues and it was in the shop a lot so they had to ride with other people all the time.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
So I'm assisting my dad in getting his first sxs, the man still has a 1980's big red 3wheeler and is really interested in getting a 520 as a replacement for the 3wheeler as he said "he's getting old", he has been told that they have transmission issues and are super loud and have a horrible ride but no one around us has one. Another issue we are finding is pricing we've "built" one on the Honda site and it's not bad with all he wants on it but when priced at a dealer it's way higher. Is there anyone in the West KY area that can point us in a good direction? Any and all advice is welcome!
The P500/520 has the same type of clutch/transmission as the old Big Red. Does he think that's noisy? The main difference is the P500/520 has an electric motor that does the shifting instead of a lever operated by your foot. It can seem crude to someone who doesn't understand how the system works.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Most find that it smooth's out and gets quieter after the break-in period & first oil change. The early "auto" models (2017's) were kinda harsh shifting but I haven't heard anyone complain recently, I suspect Honda made some program changes to the shift map.

J

JessR713

Jul 11, 2022
Kentucky, USA
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
The P500/520 has the same type of clutch/transmission as the old Big Red. Does he think that's noisy? The main difference is the P500/520 has an electric motor that does the shifting instead of a lever operated by your foot. It can seem crude to someone who doesn't understand how the system works.
No old Red isn't really that loud at all so that's good. The friend who was telling all of this thinks he should get a Ranger like they have and everything else is dirt in their opinion.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No old Red isn't really that loud at all so that's good. The friend who was telling all of this thinks he should get a Ranger like they have and everything else is dirt in their opinion.
Of course....... 🤦‍♂️

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Are there smoother riding buggies?......YUP
Smoother shifting?......YUP
Tougher?.......... NOPE!!!!

You have to understand, Honda built the P5/5.2 to a price point. They used the tried & true engine architecture that's been in their Foreman line for years and that sh!t just doens't break, PERIOD! It's a damn good platform to make it your own, a blank palate. As far as the price you're getting from the dealers, you'll probably have to search for a dealer willing to sell at MSRP. The market is hot right now and supplies are limited so sh!tty dealers are raping people on prices. Keep looking and you'll find one.

@HondaTech you guys have any P5.2's available for @JessR713 dad?

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Unless you get lucky with a Ranger, you are probably going to get to know the dealer's repair shop people very well from bringing it there so much. That's what I have heard from a few current Ranger owners anyway.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like a non Honda owner has his facts messed up..... The Pioneer 1000 had trans issues that have been fixed but I don't remember 500's having trans issues. @DG Rider had a 500 for a while and you'll get nothing but an honest opinion from him. I'm sure a few more will chime in soon but I'd suggest you try to find an owner near you and get him some seat time.

I'd be all over that big red if I was closer.......probably put a million miles on one of those 250 es's before I turned 16... LOL!

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
The 500s and 520 do shift a little clunky at first but after a while they smooth out and he'll learn to shift it so that it becomes a non-issue.
They are a noisy at wide open throttle, bouncing off the rev limiter.
They do ride rough but there are thing that you can do to help that.
I've had my 2016 since January of that year. I've got around 3000 miles, of mostly mountain trail riding, on it. The only repairs I've had to do, other than routine maintenance have been two universal joint boots. Yes they are a little slow, can be noisy at wot, and a little rough around the edges but they are reliable as hell.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Apples and oranges really. The popo is a little more refined with suspension and add ons available. But they're loud and belt driven which isn't a huge problem until you're thick in the sh** and the belt and clutch get wet. There's the chance it'll catch on fire and the maintenance on them is horrendous, always something that needs replaced. The P5's aren't real pretty, kind of crude and clunky and definitely not a plush ride. They'll fit where nothing else can though and they're closer to the Honda of old than anything else, bulletproof.

H

HondaTech

Are there smoother riding buggies?......YUP
Smoother shifting?......YUP
Tougher?.......... NOPE!!!!

You have to understand, Honda built the P5/5.2 to a price point. They used the tried & true engine architecture that's been in their Foreman line for years and that sh!t just doens't break, PERIOD! It's a damn good platform to make it your own, a blank palate. As far as the price you're getting from the dealers, you'll probably have to search for a dealer willing to sell at MSRP. The market is hot right now and supplies are limited so sh!tty dealers are raping people on prices. Keep looking and you'll find one.

@HondaTech you guys have any P5.2's available for @JessR713 dad?

I dont have any SXS available and don't know when we're getting anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: 906UP
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
  • Haha
Reactions: Farmer
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
All the points that you originally listed might or might not be a concern. With a windshield and roof the P500 is a bit noisy, especially if not wearing a helmet. I don't find it objectionable, even after riding 100 miles in a day, however I like it for what it is, a narrow cost effective ATV that the wife and I can enjoy together. The suspension is harsh, but I ride pretty slow and don't expect a Talon ride. The transmission can shift rough or shudder when out of adjustment, but an easy adjustment has always restored the P500 to a reasonable shift. Another issue is that for taller people the seat to pedal distance is kinda short, however a seat cushion fixed that for me. It comes down to what are you going to do with the UTV and what are your expectations. I really like mine and can't think of a UTV that fits my needs better, so I guess I have a bit of a bias.

J

JessR713

Jul 11, 2022
Kentucky, USA
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
All the points that you originally listed might or might not be a concern. With a windshield and roof the P500 is a bit noisy, especially if not wearing a helmet. I don't find it objectionable, even after riding 100 miles in a day, however I like it for what it is, a narrow cost effective ATV that the wife and I can enjoy together. The suspension is harsh, but I ride pretty slow and don't expect a Talon ride. The transmission can shift rough or shudder when out of adjustment, but an easy adjustment has always restored the P500 to a reasonable shift. Another issue is that for taller people the seat to pedal distance is kinda short, however a seat cushion fixed that for me. It comes down to what are you going to do with the UTV and what are your expectations. I really like mine and can't think of a UTV that fits my needs better, so I guess I have a bit of a bias.
His plans are to use it when picking up around our small farm, when cutting wood, pulling the wagon, pulling the wood splitter, spraying around the buildings/driveway, cruising around the neighborhood, to his other friends around the block, checking out the road work nearby, and hunting to go in and out, we might venture to LBL once in a while but that would be a big maybe basically just something easier for him to get on/off and will help him like the 3wheeler does now. All of his stuff is 3rd/4th owner if not further and he is a simple / easy to please guy so he doesn't want to go fancy and I'd love to be able to help him get something to be happy with as this per him, would be with him till he is done, he anticipates handing it down to me & my siblings. He takes very good care of his stuff and I'd love to help him get his "dream" machine in a way. Would he love something bigger more fancy...sure but as he says "I don't need it" and the man would help his worst enemy if he needs it so I'm scrambling trying to help him out lol I appreciate all of the advice I've been given y'all!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!