P500 Help/Advice needed on 520....Looking at buying

J

JessR713

Jul 11, 2022
Kentucky, USA
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Apples and oranges really. The popo is a little more refined with suspension and add ons available. But they're loud and belt driven which isn't a huge problem until you're thick in the sh** and the belt and clutch get wet. There's the chance it'll catch on fire and the maintenance on them is horrendous, always something that needs replaced. The P5's aren't real pretty, kind of crude and clunky and definitely not a plush ride. They'll fit where nothing else can though and they're closer to the Honda of old than anything else, bulletproof.
Big Red has been through a bunch in it's life and still going strong lol

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from central fl. You've come to the right place for advice. The 500/520 is tried and true. It's not a smooth sports car it's a peppy work horse that's fun to drive. All sxs can be louder than car or golf cart but with Honda you get excellent reliability. Your dad will enjoy not only the reliability but fun in driving around in this well built compact machine.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
His plans are to use it when picking up around our small farm, when cutting wood, pulling the wagon, pulling the wood splitter, spraying around the buildings/driveway, cruising around the neighborhood, to his other friends around the block, checking out the road work nearby, and hunting to go in and out, we might venture to LBL once in a while but that would be a big maybe basically just something easier for him to get on/off and will help him like the 3wheeler does now. All of his stuff is 3rd/4th owner if not further and he is a simple / easy to please guy so he doesn't want to go fancy and I'd love to be able to help him get something to be happy with as this per him, would be with him till he is done, he anticipates handing it down to me & my siblings. He takes very good care of his stuff and I'd love to help him get his "dream" machine in a way. Would he love something bigger more fancy...sure but as he says "I don't need it" and the man would help his worst enemy if he needs it so I'm scrambling trying to help him out lol I appreciate all of the advice I've been given y'all!
I wouldn't think that there is anything performance or mechanical that would be a problem for your dad, however depending on his size and flexibility the ergonomics might be a problem since the seat and steering wheel are not adjustable. I would recommend you find one that he can sit in and test drive to see how he does. My friend swears that his ATV is easier to get on and off than an UTV, a lot depends on what your body is used to. One other consideration is that the P500/520 does not have turf mode so use around a farm is not a problem but it could be rough on yards.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I wouldn't think that there is anything performance or mechanical that would be a problem for your dad, however depending on his size and flexibility the ergonomics might be a problem since the seat and steering wheel are not adjustable. I would recommend you find one that he can sit in and test drive to see how he does. My friend swears that his ATV is easier to get on and off than an UTV, a lot depends on what your body is used to. One other consideration is that the P500/520 does not have turf mode so use around a farm is not a problem but it could be rough on yards.
That👆

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

Yep, going from a wheeler to a sxs does take some getting used to... with a wheeler you have way more visibility and you ride/drive by the seat of your pants. As far as turf mode goes...like @JessR713 said... his dad gets around quite a bit. Probably won't be long before he's got them tires worn down to nothing or they can always start with something more turf/pavement friendly. Us 500-700 owners would love turf mode but there's always some give and take.

Chard1

Chard1

Oct 27, 2021
Memphis
Ownership

1. 500
Big Red has been through a bunch in it's life and still going strong lol
Just want to add that they don’t come with power steering. You have to add it.
Personally, I would not own or voluntarily drive one that did not have power steering. It’s not pleasant at all.

Reactions: Farmer
S

Santa

Jul 30, 2018
Kimberly, WI
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2017 Pioneer 500 and recently turned over 10,000 trail riding miles, all here is Northeastern Wisconsin. The only problem I have had was of my own doing, not the machine. It is RELIABLE!! I do not use the automatic shift mode, as is it clunky. Paddle shifting is great. Ride quality was an issue for me until I installed Walker-Evans shocks. I noted that the 520 has better shocks than came with my 500. I can ride 120-180 miles in a day and not have a sore back or bottom. (I am 77 years young and am built like Santa Claus). Friends and family with Polaris Northstar Rangers complain of sore backs and bottoms. My son has a 570 RAZR and my cousin, a General. Those are comfortable, but both like to spend time in the Dealer's shop. My machine is noisy, but I wear custom made DB-Blocker ear plugs. You will not be unhappy with a p500/520. Good luck finding one at a reasonable price.

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
We're all different. Obviously. But from how you describe your dad I expect he'd be REALLY pleased with a 520. This is assuming he may be somewhat similar to me - age 60s, utv and cart background before the 520 instead of an atv, more concerned with practicality and $ efficiency than comfort and higher end performance. Fwiw, my needs/expectations are more related to hunting/land management than general purpose or playing. Since last Oct the 520 has met or exceeded all my expectations. Maybe my taste and expectations are more modest than most, but I don't find the 520 loud or slow or difficult to steer and maneuver. It's shifting is certainly noticeable but no problem for me. It's a basic, no frills vehicle (priced as such) that suits me really well and would seem to your dad as well. For my purposes it's been VERY capable and reliable. More importantly, for the purposes stated for your dad I believe he would be very well served by a 520.

When shopping I had to place a deposit and wait about 5 months for delivery. During that time I regular checked other dealers within a 200 mile radius. Never found another available until mine finally arrived. Was worth the wait. Good luck

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
We're all different. Obviously. But from how you describe your dad I expect he'd be REALLY pleased with a 520. This is assuming he may be somewhat similar to me - age 60s, utv and cart background before the 520 instead of an atv, more concerned with practicality and $ efficiency than comfort and higher end performance. Fwiw, my needs/expectations are more related to hunting/land management than general purpose or playing. Since last Oct the 520 has met or exceeded all my expectations. Maybe my taste and expectations are more modest than most, but I don't find the 520 loud or slow or difficult to steer and maneuver. It's shifting is certainly noticeable but no problem for me. It's a basic, no frills vehicle (priced as such) that suits me really well and would seem to your dad as well. For my purposes it's been VERY capable and reliable. More importantly, for the purposes stated for your dad I believe he would be very well served by a 520.

When shopping I had to place a deposit and wait about 5 months for delivery. During that time I regular checked other dealers within a 200 mile radius. Never found another available until mine finally arrived. Was worth the wait. Good luck
GPS- You described my situation precisely...although I am 2 years away from my 60's. 😜 If you want reliable, practical and affordable, then the P520 is for you. If you want to drive like a manaic and go fast, not so much. My 520 is perfect for me keeping up my properties and as a hunting buggy. It handles steep logging roads just fine. I widened the stance with new wheels and spacers, and I upgraded the tires and suspension. I plan to keep the buggy for 15-20 years, just like I did with the rancher I had prior to this. So I figured I would get the return on the upgrade costs over time. No regrets here.

J

JessR713

Jul 11, 2022
Kentucky, USA
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Unless he absolutely hates it once he sees it in person we are going to Paducah tomorrow (about an hour away) they have a 520 in stock...Red, his favorite color and we put a deposit down yesterday afternoon so we will come home with it. He is SUPER excited yet nervous as most are when making a big purchase like this. They are having to order all of the extra's he wants (windshield, axel shock boots?, hard top, back fabric and winch) and when they come in a representative will meet us closer to home with them. Thank you all for the advice and support! - The sales guy we spoke with priced it lower than the first one so he was happy about that.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Unless he absolutely hates it once he sees it in person we are going to Paducah tomorrow (about an hour away) they have a 520 in stock...Red, his favorite color and we put a deposit down yesterday afternoon so we will come home with it. He is SUPER excited yet nervous as most are when making a big purchase like this. They are having to order all of the extra's he wants (windshield, axel shock boots?, hard top, back fabric and winch) and when they come in a representative will meet us closer to home with them. Thank you all for the advice and support! - The sales guy we spoke with priced it lower than the first one so he was happy about that.
Just warn him that the red ones are a whole lot faster and more powerful than every other color.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!