P700 Help!! Fuel Gauge isn’t working and it sporadically dies

B

Bean90

Jul 4, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello everybody,

So a couple of weeks ago we trail ride for about an hour and my pioneer 700 did fine. Got home washed it with water hose. I never use pressure washer. Raised the bed and washed up under it. Let it set in the sun to dry for a couple of hours and when I got in it to put it under the shed, I noticed the fuel hand blinking. Killed it and crunk it back up and same thing. Unhooked the battery to see if it reset, checked fuses, checked where the connector plugs in on the fuel tank.All looked good. So I though no big deal, I’ll just check gas level with a rod. So I been checking it with a stainless tug welding rod. So ever since then it has also died at least 8 times sporadically. Cranks right back up. Any ideas on this.

Thanks for the help

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
How many miles? What year? Do you ride deep mud? Did you hose the seat? I would check all connections on the machine. Check the computer under passenger seat. Try moving around connections with it running. Check for broken wires. 😉

Reactions: Backwoods
B

Bean90

Jul 4, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
It’s got about 2,000 miles on it. I messed with the computer, but didn’t change anything. What is the easiest way to get to the top of the fuel tank. Looks like you have to remove all of the battery compartment

B

Bean90

Jul 4, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ve got the plastic out and checked the connection going to the fuel pump on top of the fuel tank. It looks good. Looked the wiring harness over good. Can find anything wrong there. Blew through the vent tube on the tank and it’s clear. The only other thing I know to do is unhook the fuel line going into the throttle body and see if it has good fuel pressure. Any other suggestions?

B

Bean90

Jul 4, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anybody know the trick to unhooking the fuel line from the tank. It’s got an orange retainer holding it.

B

Bean90

Jul 4, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well. I got the fuel pump out and the mesh filter on the pump was built up. Bad thing is you can’t just buy the filter. It’s made onto the pump assembly. So ordering a new pump assembly. I also found that the float for the fuel gauge is reason 10.8 ohms with float all the way up and when all the way down it will read 11.58 ohm. I don’t know if this is right but I also found a wiring diagram and it goes directly to the instrument gauge. I checked continuity and ohms there and it is good. I’m starting to think the instrument gauge is bad.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!