BOX1

P500 Help Purchasing a swamped 500

K

Ktthomas

May 25, 2020
Brookville, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Need some advice. I am going to look at a Honda 500 today that has a "water damaged" title from Louisiana. I'm in Ohio. It appears it was bought through an auto auction with title in the name of insurance company. Current owner says he drained all the fluids multiple times and has had it for 6 months running with no problems. It's a 2016 with only 1400 miles on it. I like to think this machine has a lot of life left in it. Can you give me any tips on what to look for when I'm checking this thing over ?

thanks a bunch.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I would not even consider the machine unless you are prepared for any potential future issues. That means to me that you need to have the capability and knowledge to make repairs on any components of the machine. That also means the price tag needs to be significantly less than market value to ensure that any potential problems can be fixed and keep you under the price of a machine with a better history. Otherwise financially it's not worth your time.

There really isn't much you can do "look" and "confirm" no issue other than if the above mentioned concept is met and physically the machine looks good and mechanically runs GREAT then make the purchase and the moment it comes home drain ALL fluids and refill to confirm for yourself everything is good to go.

You can pull dip sticks and check for discoloration but it's not really going to guarantee anything until you completely drain it.

If there is a any worry about the machines longevity followed by any doubt in yourself of the capability of any repair then this machine is not for you.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
A water damaged 2016 with a price tag of $5,700? New, that machine was only a few thousand more.

It wouldn't be worth it for me... the risk of it failing would be too great. Damaged electronics or a mechanical failure could be right around the corner. Water does crazy things... I don't think I could with good conscience buy it for me. Others might be more forgiving.

Rob

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5700 feels fair for a machine in today's market. Is it worth that? That depends on the buyer. If I was standing there cash in hand I would offer 4500 and no more. Personally I would rather put the money towards a down payment on a new machine. Even if it was a new 520.

5000 down on a new 520 with a 3 year term should put you around 150 per month.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Most likely flooded in the Hurricane last year, my daughter was living there at the time and there was a lot of flooded cars/atv's, sxs's and boats on the market. Do you know what area it was in, fresh would be much less harmful than salt water on it. I would say $4K is a good price and be ready to work on things that pop up.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
All depends on length of time under water and salt or fresh. To be completely honest I wouldn’t worry a ton and probably get it myself if I was in the market. For a decent price though. But look at it, maybe pull seat and look for rust starting in, moisture in the instrument cluster and things like that. Make sure someone didn’t cover up anything with paint or undercoating, easy to tell around bolts usually.
If it was just sitting there and got flooded is probably easier on it then the guys constantly driving through deep water as bearings and joints aren’t moving which water would have a little more difficulty penetrating. Hell some of the machines that are road use only in high road salt areas I think I’d trust less. Look it over.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
$5700. I own a 700. It has served me well. I've replaced a few things on it but it really hasn't needed any work.
I pd that for a used 15’ P5 4yrs ago not swamped.
Thats great about you P7 but 2 differnt machines and not been swamped/flooded whatever u may want to call it. Id offer 3k u can always go up.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
As indicared by others Not Much to Check. ( Check the JD POWER<> BOOK VALUE )
" Good Price" <> would be <>" BELOW " LOW BOOK!!
Any vehicle with Tainted Title takes a BIG HIT in Value

When water is in the Mix <> True Details of any damagd Does Not Imediately Show Up
After some miles are put on Exspensive Problems May show up bearing / bushings / piston cylendar & rings to name a few.

Here in upstate N.Y. With Good Title <> 2017 <> 2018 <> 2019 sell for $ 7000.00 to $ 8500.00 depending on condition/ miles & accessories.

Last edited:
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No way, stay away. Way to close to new price. Even at $4500 it's not cheap enough. Put your money on a new one. Think about it. I know guys that have Honda 4-wheelers that are first ones made. If you buy new and sell it down the road you'll get good money out of it if you take care of it.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2022 PIONEER 500​

BASE MSRP: $8,599
Tooltip Asterik

Destination Charge: $685.00

Freight Surcharge: $200.00

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I bought my 2015 500 in 2016 and only paid $5901 for it. New 16 models were around $7500 at that time. Current value on a used 16 model is $7900 (Kelley Blue Book) to $8400 (NADA)

I definitely would not pay over $4000 for one that has been in a flood. I probably wouldn't offer $3000. Anytime you have a prior salvage title the price is a lot lower than one with a completely clean title.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Why would you consider traveling from OH to LA to buy a questionable machine with a salvage title and history of submersion in water and pay fair market value for an ordinary used machine with a clean title and no history of submersion in water?

An insurance company will only declare an insured vehicle a total loss and pay for replacement when the cost of repairs exceeds value of the machine. Insurance companies have long histories of experience with flood damaged vehicles. They know to cut their losses and move on.

Even if that machine is running good today all the mechanicals and wiring harnesses have been underwater. Future corrosion and related component failures is a certainty not a possibility.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!