P500 Need some help

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Dont waist your time! Have it LOAD TESTED NOT SLOW CHARGED! Take it to the parts store if you dont have one. But its money well spent to get one for yourself.

The OEM replacement brand is good. Ive had good luck with the Duralast replacement from AutoZone also. Pick your poison!
Just make sure its the right group size and the battery posts are the same as the one you took out.
Again, work smarter not harder!
Alot of what I have read says that a battery needs to be charged before load testing.

I do have one but like so many things I have, I have absolutely no idea where it is at.

Appreciate the advice on a battery in case I need a new one.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Get a new air filter from the dealer. Start fresh and keep and clean the old air filter then reoil air filter put in a ziplock bag as a back up. IMHO
Good idea , will do that.

Reactions: HiFive
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well My neighbor came over to have a look see and I told hime about the Mouse nest and the wasp nest in theair intake tube and he I asked me if it would start and I said I didnt know but it would not so He went to take the battery cover off and the Top bolt would not come out But I manage to hold up on the cover and he put the battery cables on and hooked them up to my truck battery(not running ) and we jumped it off and he said hold on a bit and he drove across the road to his shop and came back and said that he hade blown it out with an air hose at his shop.

We then filled the Coolant reservoir halfway between the 2 marks in the reservoir with water and with him driving we drove about Half a quarter and Back about 8 times at 38-39 MPH and it did not run hot nor have any problem shifting.

It did have 7 or 8 times that it hesitated which we figured was Probably from year old ethanol gas that has just been sitting in the machine and mixing with the Non Ethanol gas he had recomended to use and I had already put in the tank.
He also reccomended to keep a Product called Sta Bil in the tank which I have not picked up yet.And to change the fuel filter.
The tank was at the first level on the fuel gauge when I filled it up the rest of the way to full .

I am going to get a new battery ,I called the local Honda Dealership and asked the price for a Battery and they told me a 140 bucks plus change.
I checked at Walmart.com and I can buy one for 50 bucks.
I also noticed after the High speed driving (for a 500 Pioneer at 39 MPH)that the temprature Display was showing the Second Mark.

So I guess my questions would be

How do I remove the top bolt on the battery cover ?

Where should I check for coolant leaks ?

Any Issues or potential issues with buying a Battery from Walmart.com?

Is the second Mark on the temprature Gauge "Normal for that speed" and duration ?
I assume that driving it a full blast down a road is not good for it so what speed would be considered safe for the engine?

By the way I checked the Hours on the Machine and it is showing only 54.4 Hours with 47 hours till the Wrench
And 64 Mile with 536 mile till the wrench.

(I had a nice guy explain to me how to interpret the display.)
So I do not have near as many hours nor Miles on the machine as I originally thought.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well My neighbor came over to have a look see and I told hime about the Mouse nest and the wasp nest in theair intake tube and he I asked me if it would start and I said I didnt know but it would not so He went to take the battery cover off and the Top bolt would not come out But I manage to hold up on the cover and he put the battery cables on and hooked them up to my truck battery(not running ) and we jumped it off and he said hold on a bit and he drove across the road to his shop and came back and said that he hade blown it out with an air hose at his shop.

We then filled the Coolant reservoir halfway between the 2 marks in the reservoir with water and with him driving we drove about Half a quarter and Back about 8 times at 38-39 MPH and it did not run hot nor have any problem shifting.

It did have 7 or 8 times that it hesitated which we figured was Probably from year old ethanol gas that has just been sitting in the machine and mixing with the Non Ethanol gas he had recomended to use and I had already put in the tank.
He also reccomended to keep a Product called Sta Bil in the tank which I have not picked up yet.And to change the fuel filter.
The tank was at the first level on the fuel gauge when I filled it up the rest of the way to full .

I am going to get a new battery ,I called the local Honda Dealership and asked the price for a Battery and they told me a 140 bucks plus change.
I checked at Walmart.com and I can buy one for 50 bucks.
I also noticed after the High speed driving (for a 500 Pioneer at 39 MPH)that the temprature Display was showing the Second Mark.

So I guess my questions would be

How do I remove the top bolt on the battery cover ?

Where should I check for coolant leaks ?

Any Issues or potential issues with buying a Battery from Walmart.com?

Is the second Mark on the temprature Gauge "Normal for that speed" and duration ?
I assume that driving it a full blast down a road is not good for it so what speed would be considered safe for the engine?

By the way I checked the Hours on the Machine and it is showing only 54.4 Hours with 47 hours till the Wrench
And 64 Mile with 536 mile till the wrench.

(I had a nice guy explain to me how to interpret the display.)
So I do not have near as many hours nor Miles on the machine as I originally thought.
Thanks to the cheep as design on the battery box bolt by some engineers to save Honda 13 cents you have a retainer clip spinning, will have to get something on it like vice grips to hold it in place while you undo it from the 300 ft lbs gorilla tighter on the assembly line. @lee should be intimate with this maybe he can shed some experience on this.

If you don't have physical dripping of coolant on a paved surface while running at operating temps, your low coolant was likely from overheating when you were running it with rodent condos in place.

Two bars is normal temps on Honda sxs gauges.

Running32 -35 mph approximately is a good cruising speed on the P500

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks to the cheep as design on the battery box bolt by some engineers to save Honda 13 cents you have a retainer clip spinning, will have to get something on it like vice grips to hold it in place while you undo it from the 300 ft lbs gorilla tighter on the assembly line. @lee should be intimate with this maybe he can shed some experience on this.

If you don't have physical dripping of coolant on a paved surface while running at operating temps, your low coolant was likely from overheating when you were running it with rodent condos in place.

Two bars is normal temps on Honda sxs gauges.

Running32 -35 mph approximately is a good cruising speed on the P500
I appreciate your input
Thanks

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Make sure the radiator is clean.
They have a habit of getting packed with mud.
I put a light behind the radiator to check- the radiator may look clean but if you can’t see through it will over heat.
Good idea ,I will try that

Got any idea how to get the top bolt out of the battery cover?

Thank’s

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Good idea ,I will try that

Got any idea how to get the top bolt out of the battery cover?

Thank’s
It's been so long since I had that problem with my 2016 P5, I have forgotten how I finally got it off. I do remember that I ran completely out of cuss words and started repeating myself. I replaced it with a stud after I got it off.
You are not alone on this problem.

Click on this thread for some help.

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
For the battery cover.
I do not think the bolt is over tightened, I think the plating on the bolt and the nut plate react (corrode) and that makes the nut plate turn.
I have no prof and even if I am right it doesn’t help you now.

The plastic holding the nut plate has been changed twice to try and hold the nut plate better but the issue still goes on.

On mine the nut plate has a square nut welded on to a small plate.
I was able to unbolt the whole battery box and turn it so I could see what was going on.
I have an antique tractor so a square socket was able to hold the nut plate.
You might be able to get small vice grips on it.

If you ever do get it apart, put anti seize on the bolt or use a stainless bolt.