futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
The event:

P500 starting down a steep hill, an easy transition across it near the top, then deep ruts to the bottom.
Driver runs the transition, but ends up pinched in the right hand rut with the front wheels turned hard passenger. Right front looks further open to the right than the left.
Buggy would not move forward or back, front wheels won't move left or right, driver (strong sum b****!) perhaps muscles the wheel too hard, dunno. No luck. Passenger exits the buggy; buggy then can move enough to move tires to get un-pinched and proceed down the hill.

Symptoms:

Shortly thereafter, driver notices steering slop and perhaps a new noise from the machine. Right front is found to be definitely out to the right and there is extra play in the steering, and perhaps a bit of a notchy feel. Certainly the steering no longer feels the same as my 520, as it did before.

Pictures, steering wheel centered:

20230821 170009

20230822 100811

Thoughts? All I've done thus far is wash it.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any of your EPS connections have slop? Or a bend to the mounting plate?

And of course check tie rods not that they commonly bent on the P5’s but certainly could have happened.

That’s the two places I’d start looking at least.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The event:

P500 starting down a steep hill, an easy transition across it near the top, then deep ruts to the bottom.
Driver runs the transition, but ends up pinched in the right hand rut with the front wheels turned hard passenger. Right front looks further open to the right than the left.
Buggy would not move forward or back, front wheels won't move left or right, driver (strong sum b****!) perhaps muscles the wheel too hard, dunno. No luck. Passenger exits the buggy; buggy then can move enough to move tires to get un-pinched and proceed down the hill.

Symptoms:

Shortly thereafter, driver notices steering slop and perhaps a new noise from the machine. Right front is found to be definitely out to the right and there is extra play in the steering, and perhaps a bit of a notchy feel. Certainly the steering no longer feels the same as my 520, as it did before.

View attachment 400367
View attachment 400368

Ball joints would account for the sloppy feel, check both sides. A slightly bent steering arm would account for the alignment on the right side. Well that would be the first things I would check. Good luck,

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
1. tie rod. Impressive if you managed to bend one.
2. ball joint
3. broken tooth in the steering rack?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Everything seems to look normal to the naked eye (mine, anyway). Haven't jacked it up or pulled the tire yet. Gonna be a while before I can, unfortunately.

I took a short video of me working the steering wheel back and forth slightly with the key off. You can definitely feel the steering hitting detents at least once each direction; not smooth. In the video, I exaggerate it a bit to illustrate. I'll see if I can get the video up. Busy day today so we'll see.

So I seem to be dealing with two primary issues.

1. Find reason for wheel being out.
2. Find source of steering play.

Really appreciate the help guys! Thank you . . . keep it coming

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Any of your EPS connections have slop? Or a bend to the mounting plate?

And of course check tie rods not that they commonly bent on the P5’s but certainly could have happened.

That’s the two places I’d start looking at least.

The connections seem fine to me thus far. Mounting plate seems unaffected.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Sorry for your delima.

Hard Hit stop?
That sinario Weakest spot is A-arm attachment to Frame. ( Done One ) P.IA.
Worst :sinario bent frame hope NOT That one.
Plus any of the below mentioned.

Slow easy bind stop </> "strong sob driver" applying 2 much mussel
Could Definitely cause excessive strain on steering components

Weakest area of the Steering-rack is </>"In at Tie-rod </> 51% being the problem. ( various reasons done a few P5 & P7 ) P.I.A. but not bad

Check for play/ slop
Wheels / Ball Joints / Steering Rack & All Steering Shafts / U-Joints & Splines
( EPS mounting plate if you have ) </> put a bolt or self tapping screw through & where the mounting plate attaches to Frame <> takes the play out & Prevents Movement.
Everything seems to look normal to the naked eye (mine, anyway).

So I seem to be dealing with two primary issues.

1. Find reason for wheel being out.
2. Find source of steering play.

Really appreciate the help guys! Thank you . . . keep

After you found play/ slop
Separate Both " Outer Tierods at Spindle/wheel
Recheck all of the above for noise.

Good luck with the fix.
All is Good <> "No-One qot Hurt"<> Time & $$$$ only thing lost.

B3's Pictures look like<> Driver on tailgate for weight <> passenger driving may have ??

FYI : Humor
When my grandson became old enough ( 13yrs. ago) to ride ATV. N.Y. Certificate required. Went along with him & took the Honda sponsored Certification. Both Passed.
Now he is on <>Motor Cycle <> BMW <> Mustang
I'm on <>1cyl. SxS <> 4cyl. Hybrid's. & member of Sinor SOS club. ( OLDER <> SLOWER <> Smarter ) well on the last one "trying"

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The event:

Symptoms:

View attachment 400367
View attachment 400368

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Proxy image

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!