NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
381C6EF8 C1B2 4711 9C76 73CA4C721D84
Avoid over tightening battery box cover. Thinking the Dealer over tightened mine. Top nut keeper broke loose and only spun when backing out, and could not remove. Had to remove entire battery box and fender to get behind it. Murphy's law! Modified cover bolts with new bolt and wing-nut.

Last edited:
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Same issue new from the dealer. Super glue it back in place and your good to go.

Reactions: Caper
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Avoid over tightening battery box cover. Top nut keeper broke loose and only spun when backing out, and could not remove. Had to remove entire battery box and fender to get behind it. Murphy's law!
Same problem
I posted about it earlier
You and I are not the only ones with this problem
Piss poor set up!!
Few fixes on my post

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Regular problem for many. I guess I got lucky because I've not had any trouble with mine.

C

Chooglin

This is what I did to keep the nut from spinning
Remove the nut and cut two small slots on each side of the nut !
20161118 120020
Now bend the little tabs towards the outside of the battery box , like so !20161118 120142 20161118 120105
Put the nut back on the box , inserting the tabs in the little windows on the box !

You will need to hold your finger behind the nut to start the bolt into the nut while putting the lid back on !

There is no need to tighten the crap out of them like they do at the dealership !

Last edited by a moderator:
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
This is what I did to keep the nut from spinning
Remove the nut and cut two small slots on each side of the nut !
View attachment 26759
Now bend the little tabs towards the outside of the battery box , like so !View attachment 26760 View attachment 26761
Put the nut back on the box , inserting the tabs in the little windows on the box !

You will need to hold your finger behind the nut to start the bolt into the nut while putting the lid back on !

There is no need to tighten the crap out of them like they do at the dealership !
Or just use Superglue!

Reactions: rocmar
K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
took me over two hours to get my bolts off and it was brand new. they both just spun in the back. I tie wrapped the cover back on when i finally got the bolts out.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yes both of mine were broke from the factory. I tried unscrewing them just to see the setup inside the box and they both spun because the nut was broke loose from the box. Its kinda a poor spot for the battery anyway. I may have to relocate the battery somewhere else one of these days and extend the wires to wherever it ends up.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
Same problem here... Fixed that by installing studs on top two. Those two are the hardest to access. Problem fixed.

D

Deleted member 3748

Once I got mine out, I threw it in the trash. A bungee holds the top of the cover on now.

Reactions: monaco
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Did the stud fix today, Thanks for the info all. While the box was off I re-ran the 6 ga. Wire out the open hole in the back and moved the switched Bussman breaker to the larger diameter frame bar behind the passenger. Nicely out of the way and still easy access. Now the wire run to under the hood is protected as someone mentioned on another post. Windshield arriving next week!

Reactions: HP5NC and trigger
T

TN8S

Jan 5, 2017
Hollywood, SC
Ownership

1. 500
EXACT same thing happened to me last night! Very poor design at best! I even had to cut the top of the cover off with a Dremel. Looks like cable ties to the rescue (on a brand new 2017)!

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I'm one of the lucky P5 owners. Bolts weren't over-tightened. The setup is alittle finicky but works ok. I accessed the battery box when the rig was brand new. With time the cover bolts might get more difficult to work with but that's when I'll get out the WD-40. Like Mudder above, I have my winch breaker on the outside of the battery box.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
EXACT same thing happened to me last night! Very poor design at best! I even had to cut the top of the cover off with a Dremel. Looks like cable ties to the rescue (on a brand new 2017)!
Hondas far from perfect. ;) I've never had issues with the bolts on my battery box, but I think you have plenty of company.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Ya same thing on my 15 (new)Nothing serious but you would think it's s simple thing to resolve..
Some members say it's the dealers that do it because the battery is installed at the dealer??
Seems to be always the top one..

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Its probably because everything gets put together now adays with a little battery impact gun. I use mine every chance i get too. I try to not use it on brittle things though.

J

JTW

Ya same thing on my 15 (new)Nothing serious but you would think it's s simple thing to resolve..
Some members say it's the dealers that do it because the battery is installed at the dealer??
Seems to be always the top one..
Yup.. was on my 17 too

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!