Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 89618 Avoid over tightening battery box cover. Thinking the Dealer over tightened mine. Top nut keeper broke loose and only spun when backing out, and could not remove. Had to remove entire battery box and fender to get behind it. Murphy's law! Modified cover bolts with new bolt and wing-nut.
I had the same problem on my 17 p5. I never was a fan of the battery box placement or design.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Guess I got lucky, I've taken mine off and on several times and never experienced this problem. One factor may be that I've always done it manually, bolts are a feel thing and especially in plastic. Not everything requires a power tool or needs to be apprentice tight.

Reactions: Caper and Todd627
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Guess I got lucky, I've taken mine off and on several times and never experienced this problem. One factor may be that I've always done it manually, bolts are a feel thing and especially in plastic. Not everything requires a power tool or needs to be apprentice tight.
For me, I drilled a small hole into the plastic and the nut retaining plate and put a small screw in it to keep it from turning. Works great, don't have to worry about an over tight issue.

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
My granddaughter left the key on and the battery drained. When removing the cover bottom bolt came out but the top one was spinning like others have stated. I used this tool(radiator hose removal tool) to hold the back side and got the bolt out. Hop it helps others.

Honda P500 Battery tool

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The only way Honda engineers could have done worst was to use a crappy push pin. Speednut by @boatman22 is a good idea.

Reactions: rtn001 and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
The only way Honda engineers could have done worst was to use a crappy push pin. Speednut by @boatman22 is a good idea.
I was wondering if one of those inserts that you put in like a rivet.
It has a gun like a rivet gun and you drill the hole put it in and squish it in place. They work good. Probably better than what’s there.
:)
Caper

Reactions: rtn001
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven’t had the cover on mine for some time. It really does little in the way of protection except for sticks, all I get is lots of sand dust or mud, wether it’s on or off. My nut thing broke off too and I just never put the cover back on. Total PITA!

S

Springypond

Mar 22, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 89618 Avoid over tightening battery box cover. Thinking the Dealer over tightened mine. Top nut keeper broke loose and only spun when backing out, and could not remove. Had to remove entire battery box and fender to get behind it. Murphy's law! Modified cover bolts with new bolt and wing-nut.
Thanks for the info! Just had the same issue on my new 2017 p 500- top bolt nut just spinning . I bent the cover up over the tire , held it in place , did the work , and folded it back down. Will do a permanent fix when it’s not 95 with 100 per cent humidity!

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
I'm trying to get to the battery on my 15 model. I found a manual for it, but the battery box location looks nothing like the manual says. I still don't know exactly which part is the battery cover, it looks like there is 3 ways to get in there. The manual says the cover is under the rear fender on the right side and 2 bolts hold it on. I've yet to find the two bolts.

Reactions: rtn001
harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
I found the battery. Spingypond mentioned he put the cover over the tire, I was looking closer to the gas tank. I don't think my cover was ever removed. The bolts were very tight so I put a drop of Kroil on each one and used an impact screw driver and the came out. I put never seize on the screws and hand tightened them. I'm just trying to learn where everything is.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I found the battery. Spingypond mentioned he put the cover over the tire, I was looking closer to the gas tank. I don't think my cover was ever removed. The bolts were very tight so I put a drop of Kroil on each one and used an impact screw driver and the came out. I put never seize on the screws and hand tightened them. I'm just trying to learn where everything is.
It’s a stupid spot for the battery. They could have put it under the drivers seat.
We’ll have to live with it.
Mine is a 15 too. I bought it in 14.
Caper

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Dropbox - UTV Oddesey 925C.pdf - Simplify your life
330 CCA
900 Hot Cranking amps
50 plus minutes of reserve.
Just fits in ammo can that I installed on an aluminum plate, with room for P steering when the time comes....
If I did it again would probably put an Oddesey or Optima yellow top under the D seat and save under hood for easy access storage.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Well.....once again this forum has proven to be invaluable. Putting a winch on my new 2018, trying to get to battery to make connections,sure enough both screws were ridiculously tight and the top one stripped out....tried the 1/16 drill bit method and the bit sheared off and I left some knuckle meat on the frame...lol....went up to the next larger bit and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the post!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!