P500 Caution on P500 battery cover bolts

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Stripped mine out when I was adding an accessory, just gave up after a few tries on fix'n it and used tarp straps to hold the cover on, easier to get into now, anyway.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
Same problem here... Fixed that by installing studs on top two. Those two are the hardest to access. Problem fixed.

...and... almost off topic, while I was at it I also wired in a two prong trailer electrical pigtail running outside the battery box for future use for my trickle charger, sprayer tank pump hookup, and any other light load requirement. I just don't want to have to be wrestling that cover off for a minor power requirement.

But, dabbing a little Never-Seize on the bolts and stud/nuts hopefully will prove worthwhile if/when I do need to get to the battery.

Reactions: JTW
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
After finally getting my winch installed and wired up I just gotta say WOW. What a piss poor design on Honda’s part on this battery box and location. Absolutely ridiculous. Working on and around that battery will make a preacher cuss on Sunday. Why in the world did Honda not put it under the seat or under the hood. Blows my mind. Come on Honda. My biggest gripe with the entire machine so far. @Mudder anyway you could post a pic what you done with the wing nuts? Also it was near impossible to get the 4 gage wire in there from the winch. Boy did I have a sweat going and cussing messing on that stupid battery. I was glad to see the skids are actually really good from the factory.

J

JTW

After finally getting my winch installed and wired up I just gotta say WOW. What a piss poor design on Honda’s part on this battery box and location. Absolutely ridiculous. Working on and around that battery will make a preacher cuss on Sunday. Why in the world did Honda not put it under the seat or under the hood. Blows my mind. Come on Honda. My biggest gripe with the entire machine so far. @Mudder anyway you could post a pic what you done with the wing nuts? Also it was near impossible to get the 4 gage wire in there from the winch. Boy did I have a sweat going and cussing messing on that stupid battery. I was glad to see the skids are actually really good from the factory.
The what are really good? Dude I think you may have inhaled too many battery fumes!

Reactions: Gassygordo
J

JTW

As I recall I drilled a hole in my battery box and fed the winch leads through it. There was a good spot for the thermal breaker and everything.

Reactions: Mudder
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
As I recall I drilled a hole in my battery box and fed the winch leads through it. There was a good spot for the thermal breaker and everything.

I’ll have to look at all again on another day. I ended up not putting my circuit breaker on for the winch power lead cause I couldn’t find any where to put it.

J

JTW

I’ll have to look at all again on another day. I ended up not putting my circuit breaker on for the winch power lead cause I couldn’t find any where to put it.
Someone did a tutorial on the winch hookup.. and I liked how their wires ran so I followed their “lead”.. and you better get your eyes checked because stock skid plates suck on these things! Not as bad as the 1000 because they’re smaller. But they aren’t a skid plate to protect against impact.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Someone did a tutorial on the winch hookup.. and I liked how their wires ran so I followed their “lead”.. and you better get your eyes checked because stock skid plates suck on these things! Not as bad as the 1000 because they’re smaller. But they aren’t a skid plate to protect against impact.

Well comparing them to my atvs in years past and my first SxS (Kymco 450) they are great skid plates IMO. I mean the main plate under there is at least metal! I was shocked to find metal. Mine is a 2018.

You got a link for those battery wires and breaker you spoke of? Or a pic???

Reactions: lee
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
104E768D 7EAC 4814 A2C2 25E995CBB5D8
@HP5NC , like JTW, drilled a hole for heavy gauge wire into the battery box to make it easier, with silicone to seal. Short run to switched waterproof circuit breaker zip-tied to frame bar behind passenger seat makes it easy to reach switch. Got a new bolt and wing nut to replace the PITA cover bolt design. Tighten the locking nut to make a solid stud, then wing nut for easy on/off. Got circuit breaker and copper wire off a roll from auto store.
11B1E0AC 1674 4198 BB74 F97016C074D4

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 89611 @HP5NC , like JTW, drilled a hole for heavy gauge wire into the battery box to make it easier, with silicone to seal. Short run to switched waterproof circuit breaker zip-tied to frame bar behind passenger seat makes it easy to reach switch. Got a new bolt and wing nut to replace the PITA cover bolt design. Tighten the locking nut to make a solid stud, then wing nut for easy on/off. Got circuit breaker and copper wire off a roll from auto store.
View attachment 89612

Thanks. I will certainly fix those battery box screws. And I’ll relook at the wiring for the power lead going into the box soon as I get a chance. I’ll post some pics up soon of everything. Turned out really good.

3B1CAA27 27EB 4E76 B9C2 E4620EFF5253 D25AD656 92C5 44ED A3D8 C1A993275F11 CA1543E1 5FFE 4170 B35D 17A936296010

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
OEM skidplates were ok,....until the Takeover ride. Recommend Full or at least something like Ricochet Rock Sliders. P500 Turtle now has hard bottom shell.

71865F29 8089 4B42 A4D4 8C0EFB4C76C0

Alphapup

Alphapup

Dec 11, 2018
"Cabin in the Woods", CAN/USA Border, Kootenays BC
Ownership

1. 500
My wife and I took delivery of a new 2018 P5 2 days ago. We had a blast on the snow covered forestry roads and then.... the battery cover! I read the entire thread and prepared to wire in a battery tender. I smiled when the bottom bolt came out, the top one just spun. After much frustration, I took out the 2 top battery case bolts. The top of the whole battery case was then pulled out enough to get a small flat mirror behind the formerly hidden squareish retainer / nut. I then turned the bolt to get the square "nut" now visable to have one of the left sides of it vertical. I then took a 1/16th drill bit and drilled a hole to the left of the bolt, just touching the bolt. You can see the drill bit passing through the plastic and just missing the square "nut". The drill happens to just miss the side of the square nut and holds it from turning. I removed the drill and put the shank end of the drill back into the hole and pushed it in. I then held the drill bit perpendicular to the case and with a 10mm socket slowly removed the bolt. I hope this helps anyone from tearing the battery case off in frustration.;)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome @Alphapup , smart approach with drill bit pin against keeper nut! Wonder if Honda ever reads our Honda feedback posts? Anyone picking up a new machine from their should have them try to remove it before departing dealership, so adding a thread under Buying a P500, ..(wish I knew this before).

Last edited:
dannyboy

dannyboy

The older I get the better I was
Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2017
NW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. Talon X
My wife and I took delivery of a new 2018 P5 2 days ago. We had a blast on the snow covered forestry roads and then.... the battery cover! I read the entire thread and prepared to wire in a battery tender. I smiled when the bottom bolt came out, the top one just spun. After much frustration, I took out the 2 top battery case bolts. The top of the whole battery case was then pulled out enough to get a small flat mirror behind the formerly hidden squareish retainer / nut. I then turned the bolt to get the square "nut" now visable to have one of the left sides of it vertical. I then took a 1/16th drill bit and drilled a hole to the left of the bolt, just touching the bolt. You can see the drill bit passing through the plastic and just missing the square "nut". The drill happens to just miss the side of the square nut and holds it from turning. I removed the drill and put the shank end of the drill back into the hole and pushed it in. I then held the drill bit perpendicular to the case and with a 10mm socket slowly removed the bolt. I hope this helps anyone from tearing the battery case off in frustration.;)
@Alphapup well done sir. That is the exact procedure I used on our 2017 P500. Both top and bottom bolts in my case. You, however, have explained it much better than I would have. Oh, and welcome from northern Wisconsin.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Alphapup

Alphapup

Dec 11, 2018
"Cabin in the Woods", CAN/USA Border, Kootenays BC
Ownership

1. 500
@Alphapup well done sir. That is the exact procedure I used on our 2017 P500. Both top and bottom bolts in my case. You, however, have explained it much better than I would have. Oh, and welcome from northern Wisconsin.
Thank you dannyboy. Nothing like frustration followed by desperation then anticipation and then the resulting suprise that it seems to have worked! An example of the Honda accountants momentarilly distracting the engineers. Why pay more for the 2 bolts when the 2 pieces of metal with a hole comes standard? I feel better now.:)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!