P1000 High gear vs low gear

A

Arcwelder

Jun 13, 2023
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good evening all. I’m wondering when to use low vs high gear on my newly purchased (2022 Pioneer 1000-5 Trail Edition) and the reason is I saw a YouTube video where a guy mentioned all the terrible things that could happen if you use high gear at low speeds. Is this really even a concern? I get it if your in mud or stuck etc low gear will give you the torque needed but the guy made it out to be an issue

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good evening all. I’m wondering when to use low vs high gear on my newly purchased (2022 Pioneer 1000-5 Trail Edition) and the reason is I saw a YouTube video where a guy mentioned all the terrible things that could happen if you use high gear at low speeds. Is this really even a concern? I get it if your in mud or stuck etc low gear will give you the torque needed but the guy made it out to be an issue
Generally if it's a trail that I won't be going faster than 15 MPH, I'm in low. If you're constantly in 4th, 5th or 6th gear in low, you probably should be in high. If you're lugging around constantly in 1st gear in high, you should probably be in low. That's just a dumb hillbilly's opinion so take it for what its worth.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Generally if it's a trail that I won't be going faster than 15 MPH, I'm in low. If you're constantly in 4th, 5th or 6th gear in low, you probably should be in high. If you're lugging around constantly in 1st gear in high, you should probably be in low. That's just a dumb hillbilly's opinion so take it for what its worth.
This is probably the best advice you'll come by.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Side note: At lower speeds and especially when conditions are changing quickly, I'm in MANUAL shift mode using the paddle shifters. If you're lugging around at lower speeds around an RPM range that the DCT is constantly shifting between two gears, it's best to use manual mode and keep your gear, letting the engine, not the transmission do the work. Otherwise, you can heat those clutches up pretty darn fast.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Side note: At lower speeds and especially when conditions are changing quickly, I'm in MANUAL shift mode using the paddle shifters. If you're lugging around at lower speeds around an RPM range that the DCT is constantly shifting between two gears, it's best to use manual mode and keep your gear, letting the engine, not the transmission do the work. Otherwise, you can heat those clutches up pretty darn fast.
I just discovered that the engine will pull a much lower RPM without downshifting when I'm in Manual. I'm able to cruise quickly without that damn midturn downshift upsetting my mojo, much to my delight. 👍 (Talon fwiw)

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a Honda Pioneer 1000.
Things that tear out our Honda clutches:
1) high gear pulling to heavy of a load, or lugging in high
. . . new drivers not knowing that LOW gear, higher rpms are the way to go
2) holding the vehicle stopped on an uphill slope with the transmission and not the brake
. . . clutches are just sitting there spinning, burning
3) shifting between high and reverse when not stopped and engine at idle
. . . owners try to rock themselves out of being stuck
4) or when stuck they accelerate slowly
. . . If the tires are not moving/spinning, STOP! Use the winch.
Have a good day

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!