BOX1

BRed HIGH RPM ISSUE

P

ppsr

Jul 10, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Thanks in advance to all that can help. Lost the high rpm on a 2011 700muv. runs and starts perfect, have to let off throttle to shift because it lays down on the last half of the throttle. Top speed was 41, now its 26. can get a couple more mph if hold at half throttle because it will fall flat if you push throttle down more. Have no codes and checked the spark arrester and air filter. oil level is correct and the trans seems to be normal. it does't act like valve float, maybe timing advance? Anybody heard of this-and/or what the problem was?? Thanks again, GARY

Reactions: Hondarider
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with the thought of the valve and float. If you haven't pulled that apart could just be trash in the primary jet
Do you get the same effect when reving in neutral?
Find a friend and rev it with some light starter fluid mist. See if it revs fully.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

P

ppsr

Jul 10, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Does the same in neutral, no effect with the starter fluid. falls on its face after half throttle. When driving you have to back off on the throttle to get it to rev enough to shift to the next gear.

Sorry for the slow reply, had a death in the family.

Reactions: Hondasxs
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Check the air filter, it gets dirty do to the air intake location on top of the gas tank.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Check the spark performance, it should jump about 1/4 inch. It may be a bad plug, coil, or spark plug cap. The firing voltage goes way up with hard throttle.

P

ppsr

Jul 10, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Checked spark, changed plug and cap. no change. Basically if you drive at half throttle it runs like normal up to about 25 mph. At above half throttle, it falls on its face, it will not even shift up until you back out of the throttle.

H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
Checked spark, changed plug and cap. no change. Basically if you drive at half throttle it runs like normal up to about 25 mph. At above half throttle, it falls on its face, it will not even shift up until you back out of the throttle.
Gary, my 2011 Big Red is doing the same thing. Started about 3 months ago. Did you find the problem and would you please share it?

P

ppsr

Jul 10, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Gary, my 2011 Big Red is doing the same thing. Started about 3 months ago. Did you find the problem and would you please share it?

HondaRider,
Haven't been on this forum for a long time, sorry I didn't see your post. I still haven't figured it out, thinking maybe fuel pressure or plugged sock on the fuel pump. Since it's been so long, did you get yours fixed?If so what was the problem. Thanks, Gary.

P

ppsr

Jul 10, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Yes, I can finally end this post, The problem ended up being a flat cam on the intake side. Always thought it acted like it wasn't getting enough air, which is why I went to the spark arrestor first. Must not be a very common problem because no dealers stock a camshaft, even the big internet ones.

H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
Yes, I can finally end this post, The problem ended up being a flat cam on the intake side. Always thought it acted like it wasn't getting enough air, which is why I went to the spark arrestor first. Must not be a very common problem because no dealers stock a camshaft, even the big internet ones.
I haven't been on for a couple of years. Ended up being a camshaft for me as well. Maybe shortage of cams because of the high demand. I've been advised by a reliable source.... keep them full of oil by checking warm after shutting off for a minute so not too much drains down. Let machine warm up well before riding, Change oil OFTEN. Also add a bit of gear oil to the air filters as well because the ones Honda sells are not oiled well enough.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I haven't been on for a couple of years. Ended up being a camshaft for me as well. Maybe shortage of cams because of the high demand. I've been advised by a reliable source.... keep them full of oil by checking warm after shutting off for a minute so not too much drains down. Let machine warm up well before riding, Change oil OFTEN. Also add a bit of gear oil to the air filters as well because the ones Honda sells are not oiled well enough.

All of those are good measures but the main story is/was the improper or lack of, hardening of some cams. Everyone is silent on the randomness and luck of the draw if you will. I'm not sure of anyone having their replacement cam go bad... I still baby mine just in case though. My guess is that whoever provided the bad cams to Honda had bad quality control and random duds slipped by from time to time. I'd say if it was a "bad batch" Honda could have narrowed it down but since it happened long term over many years and at least 3 atv/sxs models it's more likely a QC issue. I do know that the part numbers changed and the dealer I worked with had 3 sitting on the shelf... waiting for the next victim (me) to come in. They mentioned availability of an aftermarket cam AFTER mine was fixed so I'm not sure if that's even a true option anymore or not.

M

Muggster71

Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Big Red
All of those are good measures but the main story is/was the improper or lack of, hardening of some cams. Everyone is silent on the randomness and luck of the draw if you will. I'm not sure of anyone having their replacement cam go bad... I still baby mine just in case though. My guess is that whoever provided the bad cams to Honda had bad quality control and random duds slipped by from time to time. I'd say if it was a "bad batch" Honda could have narrowed it down but since it happened long term over many years and at least 3 atv/sxs models it's more likely a QC issue. I do know that the part numbers changed and the dealer I worked with had 3 sitting on the shelf... waiting for the next victim (me) to come in. They mentioned availability of an aftermarket cam AFTER mine was fixed so I'm not sure if that's even a true option anymore or not.
Hello Farmer, I have read a bunch of your posts on here over the past few of years and just recently became a member. I have a 2009 big red with a suspected bum camshaft. What do you know about the aftermarket camshaft? I ran across a Caltric or caltrec (can’t remember the spelling) anyway, did some research and it was not good so decided to not go that route. Does anyone know if these OEM camshafts are new or new old stock?