P700 High Temp - No Fan

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Out for a long cruise today on the trails and with no issues until I got back to the camp. On the home stretch to camp, I realized the temp light was on and the gauge was reading all the bars lit. Due to Honda's super dooper high temp alert alarm, it may have been high for quite some time and I just didn't notice. I immediately shut it down, waiting about 5 mins and turned it over with the hood removed to have a quick look .... still reading high and no fan. I waited another 2 mins, turned on the key power (no start) and the fan turned on and the gauge read normal 2 bars. Drove it back to the trailer, loaded it up ... no issues. Got home and thought I'd try to replicate the issue again to trouble shoot it. Warmed it up and again, no fan and the bars started lighting up. On the ride home, it occurred to me I don't recall hearing the fan run all day (gulp).

So tomorrow, I plan on digging in to the cause. I plan on going through the basics, checking/adding for voltage at the fan motor and looking at the sensor. I read a few posts saying burping the radiator helped some people, but my fan isn't even trying to run so I don't think that's it at this point. Any other ideas out there from people who may have experienced the same thing?

Also, would it be worth changing the oil after running up that high? It's literally brand new oil, I changed 3 days ago. It didn't pop the cap or boil over.

Thanks in advance.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would check your fan plug, you just submerged that thing.... dielectric grease it up.....then I would move to thermostat.... but first how's the coolant level. The 700 is not known for burping issues that I know of

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks. I’ll check that out tomorrow.

It’s still under warranty, but the dealership is quite a haul.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
The fan has a vent on it as well that is very low I didn’t know it till after sunk mine couple times noticed it when the fan bearing started growing from the sand

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pulled off the engine sensor and fan barely spins then stops. Looks like a dead motor. I’ll just buy the bullet and fix it myself, it’s just not worth 2 trips to a dealer that’s far away.

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know why the electric fan has a vent hose? I’m stumped on that one.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know why the electric fan has a vent hose? I’m stumped on that one.
I may be wrong but that fan has to be a sealed motor. Or it would bite the dust from moisture. That vent allows it to get air and coil it around to supposedly get rid of moisture. But it's not very good if you submerge the fan cause they are vented to the same height....extend it up too... These pioneers are not meant for deep water and mud no matter what people think....
And polka did you trying to run that motor off another 12 volt source just to check......

Last edited:
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did. Wired it up quick to my truck after I pulled it. Barely turned at all. Thanks for checking in on me, I appreciate it.

Surprisingly, the assembly fit out the hood with some finagling.

Reactions: swsebek
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just wanted to post the outcome, I replaced the fan motor with OEM replacement. Everything fit right in and is 100% operational.

To anyone wishing to replace their own in the future, just a heads up ..... be really careful not to lose the metal washers/spacers that mount from the front to the radiator. When I pulled the bolts from the front, I didn’t see them or notice when they fell during disassembly. I realized one was missing when put the bolt back in and it seemed to tighten forever. I found it on the floor, it rolled about 10 feet.

Reactions: Mudwing and swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice to hear a follow up and a fix.... also I extended my fan vent up under my dash just in case from hearing your dilemma.... Now that you have it fi you should catch up with us guys and get riding. Couple rides coming up are in your neck of the woods......Middle of may?? We are hitting mines and Meadows. June they're is a benifit cancer ride at Mountainridge atv park.... It's where the big windmills are and close to Flight 93 Memorial." Highly recommend checking that out". And in July 18-22 a group of us will be going to stay at Ashland resort and hit the Hatfield and Mcoy trail system...

And I have to ask this but since you are polka joe...
Do you play? I do and have for years

Reactions: Mudwing
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’d love to meet up and ride. I’ll keep an eye out for that benefit.

I play guitar .... sorry, no accordion. Haha. The name is just a tribute to my Polish heritage.

L

Lopez8325

Apr 4, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pulled off the engine sensor and fan barely spins then stops. Looks like a dead motor. I’ll just buy the bullet and fix it myself, it’s just not worth 2 trips to a dealer that’s far away.
Hi, I have a 2017 700 pioneer where is the temp sensor located, and by by chance do you know which relay controls the fan. Mine has been acting up as well with the same thing as yours. Only it does work when connected direct and when it is at 5 bars hot.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
fan motor is just like any other electric motor it can be submerged without issues the problem is when its stays dirty without being washed out. mine gets sunk over the dash everytime i go riding. but after riding i always try to find some clearish water to purge it before taking back to do a good rinse. whatever you do dont run the fan vent uphill. this will just let moisture rest in the motor.
the 700s are known for trapping air. if the dealer doesnt purge them correctly. its not a known issue because most dealers purge them right. but we have talked about this for yrs on another site.
dielectric grease every plug snorkel everything and have fun 5 yrs of submarining mine actually just changed the stock airfilter last month

G

Gmaul

Jun 11, 2019
Ca
Ownership

1. 700-4
New member and I am learning a lot already. I have 2016 700-4 with an overheating problem. Fan barely turns if at all. No issues for first year and a half and then suddenly overheating. After reding up today, I have a game plan for troubleshooting my issues. Thanks to all.

R

Racetrap

Sep 14, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Also New to site. I have a 700-4 that runs gets hot when idling or you going slow on a hot day. The cores clean, I tried(burping) it through the radiator. The fan kicks in but only runs for 1or 2 seconds and kicks off and then repeats that after about 20 seconds. I'm going to run it off the ignition fuse for now to run all the time but would like to fix it right. What do you think it could be?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi.
Be advised.
The 700 runs off a ground trigger. The fan should have key-on 12v at all times.
Once the ground connects the fan "should" run.

So really. You just need to add a geound trigger and it "should" work.

We sell a kit in the club store if you need.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

L

Lopez8325

Apr 4, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 700-4
Out for a long cruise today on the trails and with no issues until I got back to the camp. On the home stretch to camp, I realized the temp light was on and the gauge was reading all the bars lit. Due to Honda's super dooper high temp alert alarm, it may have been high for quite some time and I just didn't notice. I immediately shut it down, waiting about 5 mins and turned it over with the hood removed to have a quick look .... still reading high and no fan. I waited another 2 mins, turned on the key power (no start) and the fan turned on and the gauge read normal 2 bars. Drove it back to the trailer, loaded it up ... no issues. Got home and thought I'd try to replicate the issue again to trouble shoot it. Warmed it up and again, no fan and the bars started lighting up. On the ride home, it occurred to me I don't recall hearing the fan run all day (gulp).

So tomorrow, I plan on digging in to the cause. I plan on going through the basics, checking/adding for voltage at the fan motor and looking at the sensor. I read a few posts saying burping the radiator helped some people, but my fan isn't even trying to run so I don't think that's it at this point. Any other ideas out there from people who may have experienced the same thing?

Also, would it be worth changing the oil after running up that high? It's literally brand new oil, I changed 3 days ago. It didn't pop the cap or boil over.

Thanks in advance.
Hey bud, how's it going? I had same issue I blew my motor due to a cheap fan from stock. Replace fan with aftermarket, and use dielectric grease on connections if you need to or soder them together. Make sure you have vent lines on all your oil components and sealed air intake snorkel. That's what I did with my 700 it's been holding up.

L

Lopez8325

Apr 4, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 700-4
Get a aftermarket fan fixed my problem. Good luck

L

LCK_Boater

Nov 7, 2018
Lebanon, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
So my fan on pioneer isn't running and the temp light is coming on also. Problem started right after I power washed the mud off of it last weekend. Thinking I either knocked a connection loose or ruined the motor. Where did you guys get aftermarket fans?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
So my fan on pioneer isn't running and the temp light is coming on also. Problem started right after I power washed the mud off of it last weekend. Thinking I either knocked a connection loose or ruined the motor. Where did you guys get aftermarket fans?
more than likely a connection loose. you wont make motor go out with a pressure washer or water. only by overheating the bearings or getting mud up in it and letting it run. after ever ride when i go deep i actually let my fan turn on and i flush it with water. through the vent tube.
side note :if you fan starts sounding squeally and screechy do that. my bearings had some trash in it. and fixed it right up

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!