Hillbilly Brake concern

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Looking at getting a Hillbilly Brake more for a theft deterrent than anything. My concern is keeping the brakes pressurized for periods of time. How long can I keep the brakes locked before I need to worry about doing any damage? An hour, a day? Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking at getting a Hillbilly Brake more for a theft deterrent than anything. My concern is keeping the brakes pressurized for periods of time. How long can I keep the brakes locked before I need to worry about doing any damage? An hour, a day? Thanks
Not sure, but thats a good question. My guess is over time it could cause rubber brake line expansion over weeks of constant on

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A day max Id say for the same reasons @ODAMO said.
just curious, why are u using this for anti theft? When the brake is applied its loosened and easily released. Plus the perpetrator will tell something is going on with the brake applied.
why not get a billyclub and lock the steering wheel?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
A day max Id say for the same reasons @ODAMO said.
just curious, why are u using this for anti theft? When the brake is applied its loosened and easily released. Plus the perpetrator will tell something is going on with the brake applied.
why not get a billyclub and lock the steering wheel?
You can put a lock on the Hillbilly Brake that won't let it disengage.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You can put a lock on the Hillbilly Brake that won't let it disengage.
There u go again putting my dick in the dirt correcting me 🤣 😂

Hell I got one and didnt even see a slot for that. My bad I guess. But I still wouldn't leave that applied for extended periods of time due to the brake fluid pressure. We did some tests on situations like that in one Brakes certification classes for automotive and whaaaa aint good and makes a hell of a mess! 😂

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I wouldn't engage it for more than a few hours or so at a time ... certainly not overnight. But that's just my $0.02 ... which usually isn't even worth that much.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I set my Hillbilly Brake any time I trailer my machines (PIk5 and Talon R). They've been set for well over 24 hours at a time on multiple occasions with zero issue. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I wouldn't set it for a month or anything, but overnight or for a weekend hunting trip would be fine.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I set my Hillbilly Brake any time I trailer my machines (PIk5 and Talon R). They've been set for well over 24 hours at a time on multiple occasions with zero issue. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I wouldn't set it for a month or anything, but overnight or for a weekend hunting trip would be fine.
I can let you know. My pioneer has been behind the barn all winter with the brake locked. I wouldn't worry about it either. I've left both pioneer and talon on two trailer for days with the brakes locked.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got mine so the thieving bastards had to work at stealing mine. While I take aim.
And it's a good towing precaution.
20220910 105651

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've had my P1K locked with the Hillbilly brake on for a cpl days at a time and never had an issue 🤞

For long term disabling, pull a relay from the ignition system. One that kills fuel or ignition brain.
Yes, but it can still be rolled away and loaded else where. Hillbilly brake while still not unbreakable, it prevents a potential thief from a quick grab. They're going to have to work a little extra harder then expected and hopefully that just makes them move along, or give you/me enough time to get a good shot...... 😉🤷

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
The padlock option is handy if I drive it to the store or anywhere besides the gas station
This is what I am wanting to use it for, when it will be out of sight in the parking lot of a store. I've already replaced my tote that was strapped down with bungee cords to a lockable Moose trunk that's bolted to the bed.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is what I am wanting to use it for, when it will be out of sight in the parking lot of a store. I've already replaced my tote that was strapped down with bungee cords to a lockable Moose trunk that's bolted to the bed.
I use my Hillbilly brake all the time but not for extended periods of time. Extended being days. When on the trailer or parking on a steep hill they are great. Probably never more than 24 hours. But back to your original question, I don't know if using it for long term will effect the brake system.

Reactions: Smitty335
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe you should reach out to hillbilly brake with this question

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!