P500 Homemade Cargo Box

geraldvg

geraldvg

IMG 12911
IMG 12821
Just finishing a wood cargo box to meet my own needs for new P500. It has a 48" x 32" x 1/2" plywood base with strategically located cleats on the underside to keep it from shifting around and 5-1/2" hardwood sides. It rests on foam pipe insulation sections to eliminate rattle and protect the finish on the OEM rack and is strapped to the rack using light duty 6' cam buckle nylon tiedown straps (2 ea - $~5 total from Orchelens or Lowe's) to facilitate easy removal and reinstall. The cargo box has a removable tailgate and mid-section divider each held in place by cleats fastened to the side walls either of which can be kept onboard when not in use by positioning them between another set of cleats at the extreme front (or rear of the box - depending upon your point of reference). Cargo tie-down will be facilitated by the side mounted aluminum handles (salvaged old lawn chair arm rests) and small "D-ring" tie down loops (again ~$5 from Lowe's) on the box's insides. The sides and front panel are dadoed, glued, screwed and aluminum strip reinforced to the base. Total cost so far - ~$10. I'm currently researching and shopping for moderately priced, easy to apply roll-on truck bed liner type coating to provide water protection, cargo shift reduction, sound deadening and asthetics and would appreciate any personal experience recommendations.

I'll probably have to go with a full gallon of liner material since none of the product I can find in quart sized packaging says it will cover the 35 sq. ft. I am calculating for inside and out coverage. DupliColor and PlastiKote are possibles, but I don't like what I read about Herculiner, Monstaliner is too expensive and Al's 2-part epoxy is more complicated to deal with than I want. I found a Rustoleum product that looked good (not Road Warrior) until their tech support said it would not adhere to wood.

Other build-out includes StrongMade winch mount bumper, 3500# winch w/fiber cable & rubber hook stop, LED flood lights mounted inside ROPS and yet to be installed SSS Offroad UHMW full skid plate and A-arm protectors. I'm planning to add the Hefty 18 qt storage bin under the hood as soon as I can find one and some sort of under seat storage. I've acquired a trailer hitch and am having its receiver shank redrilled so that it will fit further up into the receiver. I've also sprung for an 11' set of LongRamps golf cart loading ramps which I will use for loading the P500 into my F250 bed and as a service platform.

This is an 80% ranch work machine, so no other significant additions/mods are planned for now. Some sort of roof and 27" tires may be on the horizon for later.

Loving my P500!

Where did my picture go?

Last edited:
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Looking good. Making the P500 fit your needs is part of the fun!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Where did my picture go?
I will fix it. We lost some a dozen small avatars during the site upgrade.
--------

Box looks nice. Having it fit your needs is the most important thing. Lots of good info. A rhino like coating would make it look even better.
Thanks

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I love Craftsmanship!! and Woodworking!!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
And it looks great on the Yellow!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
but I don't like what I read about Herculiner
Ive used it ALOT and i even had my entire samurai done with it its all in the prep work and its also very easy to use if you use the roller it comes with just remember not to actually but to keep dabbing it if that makes sense lol but its really good stuff

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!