Homemade roof thickness?

HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
Hey all, I want to make my own roof instead of buy one, and I'd like to use diamond plate because I've seen/heard a lot of good things about using it for a roof. I know someone on here used .56" diamond plate, but I was just wondering what anyone thinks the best thickness would be. Thanks!

Happy

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you use aluminum, I'd say somewhere around 1/8" would do fine. If you use steel I'd go 16ga. (1/16") minimum. Post pics when it's done I have been considering doing this too out of aluminum.

Reactions: HappyHonda
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The only negative to using Aluminum is if you tip it or have to drag it you could get some bending.
With that said ⅛ is a normal roof weight, any thinner it is too easy to bang it up. .56 is way to heavy for a roof, that is about 9/16 of an inch so that would be extremely heavy for a roof.
Have fun and Good luck on your build

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd go 3/16 if you are going to use it to carry anything(cooler, deer, bear, elephant) or mount a long light bar to it.
Of course if you have a way of running a ridge in the metal it'd add a LOT of rigidity to a thinner gauge, would still flex under the elephant, But a long light bar wouldn't shimmy and shake as much on the lighter gauge with the ridges.

HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
I think I'm going to have a tough time finding 1/8" thick aluminum diamond plate thats 96"x60" which is a real bummer. I'm still looking but I can already see its not going to be as easy as I hoped!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah for that size you might have to have a seam in the middle that you attach to a support bar. If you can match up the diamond plate you would hardly be able to tell and it would give SOME added rigidity. Just rivet the diamond plate to the support

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Obviously this is steel but just trying to show you what I'm talking about. Not sure my explanation is that clear!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 143
HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
yea its looking like I'll be having a seam in the middle, not the end of the world though! thanks for your input @Tflynn , I'll be sure to post once I'm moving forward with the project more

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
No problem. Another thing I just thought of, make sure to silicone between the diamond plate and support (if that's the route you go) so you don't get water dripping on your head. And also, keep your windshield in mind when designing the roof

Reactions: ohanacreek
HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
Pictures of my newborn! Haha @Tflynn my wife just had our daughter 3 weeks ago, so I've had to push off the roof building for the fall!

Reactions: Hondasxs
HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
thanks man! can't wait to get the roof on though, I'll be sure to post pics!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congratz @HappyHonda !!

HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
thanks @bobbyhill ! my wife and I are very excited, can't wait until we can bring our daughter for her first ride!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think I'm going to have a tough time finding 1/8" thick aluminum diamond plate thats 96"x60" which is a real bummer. I'm still looking but I can already see its not going to be as easy as I hoped!

I had an 80 gal in bed fuel tank fabricated from the stuff, the sheet was 60" wide x 96" long. Check with any metal fabrication shop They ordered it for me and I had it in 2 days. Aluminum diamond plate hang on to your wallet it will be nearly $300+ for the sheet if they like you, may be more beneficial to go the hard plastic roof route.

Here is a 5' X 10' sheet 1/8 thick @ $375.00 http://commercial-refrigeration-gas...te-cut/aluminum-diamond-plate-36-36-1-11.html

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!