Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2,291 satisfied miles on my p1k5. There are few things I'd like to see done differently but I'm sure I'd be that way with any machine. So far it's been very dependable. If it had a centrifugal clutch or a torque converter, it'd be borderline perfect. I plan on keeping it a very long time.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2,291 satisfied miles on my p1k5. There are few things I'd like to see done differently but I'm sure I'd be that way with any machine. So far it's been very dependable. If it had a centrifugal clutch or a torque converter, it'd be borderline perfect. I plan on keeping it a very long time.

+10 on having a Tq converter, but other than that, for what and how we use our P1k5 it's essentially perfect. Heat has not been an issue other than the first out'a the box ride (BEAT UP 105°f sand wash at 10 mph for 15 miles...), since then We've been VERY happy with the rig. Lower low range and a reverse tied to LR/HR would be nice. Transmission whine sounds like a functionally fine transmission. Differential gear whine sounds like a cheap set of straight cut gears and VERY annoying...like an old POS pickup truck.

The front diff gear rattle running in 4WD at high speed sounds like something is gonna break. I put in Lucas 80w/140 and it's a bit better but it either has a bad bearing or the diff locking mechanism is having spasms, either way, I try not to abuse it.

Would I purchase again...absolutely. For the money we spent I'm satisfied.

Oh...650 miles total so far as of today

I also had to mention the front alignment issue, What a frigg'n joke to be out 1.5" toe out on one side. Adjusted to 1/2 toe in and it rides AMAZING. Use'ta feel squirrely but now its stable as a rock.

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
+10 on having a Tq converter, but other than that, for what and how we use our P1k5 it's essentially perfect. Heat has not been an issue other than the first out'a the box ride (BEAT UP 105°f sand wash at 10 mph for 15 miles...), since then We've been VERY happy with the rig. Lower low range and a reverse tied to LR/HR would be nice. Transmission whine sounds like a functionally fine transmission. Differential gear whine sounds like a cheap set of straight cut gears and VERY annoying...like an old POS pickup truck.

The front diff gear rattle running in 4WD at high speed sounds like something is gonna break. I put in Lucas 80w/140 and it's a bit better but it either has a bad bearing or the diff locking mechanism is having spasms, either way, I try not to abuse it.

Would I purchase again...absolutely. For the money we spent I'm satisfied.

Oh...650 miles total so far as of today

I also had to mention the front alignment issue, What a frigg'n joke to be out 1.5" toe out on one side. Adjusted to 1/2 toe in and it rides AMAZING. Use'ta feel squirrely but now its stable as a rock.
Yeah. My alignment was so far out that it ruined my tires in 6 hours of use before I noticed!!! Front tires literally lasted for one ride. Boy was I pissed! (And broke)

Reactions: JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My steering wheel was off center (no big deal) and I had a tie rod end nut literally almost fall off. The cotter pin was holding nut on. Still don't see why they didn't use castle nuts on those. Still extremely happy with it. They can come out with sport models all they want. Im keeping this one.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still think some of these units are better than others. I have done nothing to mine. I haven’t checked bolts, haven’t even checked the oil. The dealer did the service on it for me the first time as part of the purchase. I should be coming up on an oil change soon so I guess I will finally have to do some maintenance. I don’t destroy my machine but I’m not easy on it either. I forgot I was in high this weekend and was creeping up the bottom of suicide hill and the motor stalled because it couldn’t go any farther and the clutch never slipped. I thought I had screwed the pooch big time and that the clutch we have problems after that. I cranked it up, put it in low and it drove fine after that. I hate it for you guys having issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm at 1400+ miles and it's been absolutely stellar. It's a great platform to make what you want. It's as close to perfect for my usage As it gets. If It was stolen today I'd have another tomorrow. I cannot find anything out there that even would tempt me. A sport is a 1 trick pony. Same as a utility. None out there has the seat capacity, the speed , and cool factor the 1000-5 has

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I still think some of these units are better than others. I have done nothing to mine. I haven’t checked bolts, haven’t even checked the oil. The dealer did the service on it for me the first time as part of the purchase. I should be coming up on an oil change soon so I guess I will finally have to do some maintenance. I don’t destroy my machine but I’m not easy on it either. I forgot I was in high this weekend and was creeping up the bottom of suicide hill and the motor stalled because it couldn’t go any farther and the clutch never slipped. I thought I had screwed the pooch big time and that the clutch we have problems after that. I cranked it up, put it in low and it drove fine after that. I hate it for you guys having issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the motor stalls like that it is a great sign the trans and clutches are working correctly. You probably won't be seeing any issues:)

Kaptain

Kaptain

Jun 8, 2017
Marsing, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We are loving our P1000-5 so far. The heat issue was easily fixed with a bilge fan, and a few times we have ridden in 40 degrees in the mountains and the heat was welcome with the fan off. In 90+ weather it is not a problem and the total in-cab heat is much less of an issue than it was in our Teryx4. I absolutely love being able to manual shift up the mountains. It would be hard to go back to a belt at this point. Our windshield flips up to vent. I have noticed a lot of people talking about the heat issue have full windshields. I have seen several people dealing with quality control issues regarding assembly. Ours has been great. When we bought a RZR 570 in 2012 I had to keep putting things back on as they fell off with Loctite. The assembly there was horrible. over time I pretty much put half the machine back together lol. So far so good on this one.

advertisement
blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
The back and forth posts ("mine has been trouble free" vs. "mine is a piece of junk") prove it's a quality control issue. Admittedly there are various design flaws, some more serious than others, but the majority of issues seem to be from flat out inferior assembly procedures.

When bolts are missing or improperly torqued from the factory, hose clamps either missing or not tightened, loose wire harnesses etc. it is just plain poor quality control. There needs to be a series of checks for each and every vehicle coming off the line and I don't just mean a guy scribbling on a sheet of paper without ever actually looking at the machine.

I'm as pro America as anyone but I still believe that the Honda products produced in Japan were so reliable strictly because they had a better system of quality control. Pride in doing your job is something that is sadly slipping away everywhere.

J

JTW

The back and forth posts ("mine has been trouble free" vs. "mine is a piece of junk") prove it's a quality control issue. Admittedly there are various design flaws, some more serious than others, but the majority of issues seem to be from flat out inferior assembly procedures.

When bolts are missing or improperly torqued from the factory, hose clamps either missing or not tightened, loose wire harnesses etc. it is just plain poor quality control. There needs to be a series of checks for each and every vehicle coming off the line and I don't just mean a guy scribbling on a sheet of paper without ever actually looking at the machine.

I'm as pro America as anyone but I still believe that the Honda products produced in Japan were so reliable strictly because they had a better system of quality control. Pride in doing your job is something that is sadly slipping away everywhere.
Well said!

R

renoone

Jul 5, 2017
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My experience with UTV's:
I never abuse anything and take great care of them.
Polaris RZR 800 - Both my son and myself had one. Now we don't! Hated it. Hard to shift out of park, lots of heat in cab, maintenance, etc.
Had about a year. Traded mine for Ranger. He sold his.
Polaris Ranger 800 Browning Edition - Yes I tried Polaris again. Mistake! Jerks like crazy going slow, a lot of repairs. Had it 4 years for some
stupid reason. Traded for Honda P1000-3.
Honda P1000-3 - My experience has been great. No issues. No heat issues really. Way cooler than either Polaris. Clutch is great. Shifts
great. Was a little harsh at first but quickly smoothed out. I hope it continues this way. Time will tell.

I did look at the Honda and the CanAm in depth before buying the Honda. Both seem very nice but I liked the Honda better in the end.
A friend of mine bought the CanAm so now we can compare over the next few months.
Just my 2 cents.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Like Jtw mentioned very well said!

Reactions: ncred02 and sharp
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My steering wheel was off center (no big deal) and I had a tie rod end nut literally almost fall off. The cotter pin was holding nut on. Still don't see why they didn't use castle nuts on those. Still extremely happy with it. They can come out with sport models all they want. Im keeping this one.
Found my driver side the same way after a weekend ride. Tighten it back up will keep eye on them now. Other side wasn't very tight either but it wasn't backed off to the cotter pin

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Found my driver side the same way after a weekend ride. Tighten it back up will keep eye on them now. Other side wasn't very tight either but it wasn't backed off to the cotter pin
Aww Jeez... Guess I better go check my tie rod ends...(sigh). Thanks for the heads up!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was my driver's side as well. It has a castle nut on it now.

Reactions: sharp and AZhunter
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Funny I read this tonight my tie rod was also super lose just pin keeping it in. I can't really say how mine would have been stock since this is probably the 6th time I have taken entire back casing off. With my gear reduction to change the clutch it ALL has to come off. Then there was that time last night I got it all back together and looked down at these two little bolts. Yeah they went inside the first casing to hold it on.... I was so super happy to do it all again... the machine just needs more aftermarket support (clutches, axles ect). Cause as much s*** as I tear up messing with it, the Honda stuff takes forever to order lol

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
After blowing up a motor with water because of miscalculation from design of air intake causing a need for replacement due to no avail parts and no crate motor, multiple clutches that manufacture won't help with, steering shaft that came out because it wasn't in correctly, and now major motor issues due to a loose clamp allowing dirt to be injested thought the butterflies I'm less then impressed myself.
Never had an issue with previous model other then s***ty intake design but this machine has proved to be difficult to get the 2000 miles it has because it's always torn apart. Again qc,one good machine and one crap.ive had both!
Love the platform itself and like the no belt when it's working correctly. Rattles are easily adjusted out, the heat is easily fixed and appreciated in the winter,gear whine will get much quieter after break in with Lucas diff fluid. Great machine if the qc especially during testing and assembly was increased.
damn, I was shocked to read this. You would think for 20k + - these things would be built like brick sh.. houses. I dont have a lot of miles on mine but reading this thread, and others, makes me not wanna upgrade

Reactions: sharp
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
what
I agree with you about this being the best board around. That is why I have hung around, even though I have gone over to the rubber band dark side. :D

By the way, the dark side is great, we have cake.:cool:
what did you get? After driving my friends Can Am Commander its on my radar

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!