P1000 Honda needs to get their act together

P

plugger

Mar 4, 2016
West Michigan
My wife nd I went to an outdoor expo today that featured utv demo rides. I registered here last winter and have been following these forums because I am going to buy a utv to add to the quads and mule we already have. The first machine we drove was the one I planned to buy, a p1000. At the end of the 2 mile ride we couldn't be happier to get out of a machine. The heat and gear whine left zero room for enjoyment. The ride was smoother than I expected, acceleration and power steering were good. I still have a 1988 wheeler and have always looked to Honda first. We have been around everything from dirt bikes to heavy construction equipment and this probably the most disappointing machine we have driven. The next machine we drove was a Can-Am Defender and it was much nicer. The Yamaha Viking was fine but too big for our use. I have been almost anti Polaris but the Ranger we drove was surprisingly nice. After that we drove a Commander and wow! The last two machines we drove were the Maverick x3 and the turbo Razer. After driving the last two I think we will buy another used Mule for the farm and a true sport sxs for trail riding. I think sport utility is a oxymoron. I am not sure how Honda, who I thought had the best engineering and QC, could bring this to market and continue to sell them without a fix.

Reactions: AZhunter
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There are some areas it could be better. For me, I bought the 1000-5 and fixed the heat issue for very little money. And the heat whine gets better with time and then I added heavier weight oil to the diffs.

I've been a happy so far with the machine. Could it be better? Absolutely. I hope the upcoming years we see better machines from Honda.

Thanks for sharing your views.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My wife nd I went to an outdoor expo today that featured utv demo rides. I registered here last winter and have been following these forums because I am going to buy a utv to add to the quads and mule we already have. The first machine we drove was the one I planned to buy, a p1000. At the end of the 2 mile ride we couldn't be happier to get out of a machine. The heat and gear whine left zero room for enjoyment. The ride was smoother than I expected, acceleration and power steering were good. I still have a 1988 wheeler and have always looked to Honda first. We have been around everything from dirt bikes to heavy construction equipment and this probably the most disappointing machine we have driven. The next machine we drove was a Can-Am Defender and it was much nicer. The Yamaha Viking was fine but too big for our use. I have been almost anti Polaris but the Ranger we drove was surprisingly nice. After that we drove a Commander and wow! The last two machines we drove were the Maverick x3 and the turbo Razer. After driving the last two I think we will buy another used Mule for the farm and a true sport sxs for trail riding. I think sport utility is a oxymoron. I am not sure how Honda, who I thought had the best engineering and QC, could bring this to market and continue to sell them without a fix.
Glad you discovered those problems before you plunked down $17,000.00 like I did. There are many many more oversights on this machine in addition to the heat and gear whine. I bought my P-1000-3 sight unseen after being extremely happy with my Polaris Ranger. I figured, like most people, "It's a Honda...what's there to worry about. Gotta be at least as good as a Polaris right?" WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! And now that the word has spread on how poorly engineered these machines are, I can't give it away. I wanted to trade it in and go back to Polaris but I'd literally have to take a $10,000.00 loss on it. Lesson learned...never assume that just because a name brand has a great reputation that every product they make is a good one.

Reactions: AZhunter
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought my '16 P1000-3 new in March. It now has 700 miles on it, and my wife and I are really glad we got it. I have yet to have any complaint about any sort of cab/seat heat. I've heard that seems to plague the 5-seaters worse tho. My only gripes are...a couple rattles from the doors and dump bed latch. Fortunately, I was able to take care of those pretty easily. Only other thing I didn't care for was some poor tire wear on the drivers front tire. Actually realigned my front end today, and set it to 3/16" toe-in as the service manual states. We will see what happens.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There are things about the P1000 that were not very well thought out. But there are things about it that are unique to the industry and I believe that Honda will get the problem areas ironed out. I miss having the ability to shift gears with my Defender. The Pioneer is much more interesting to drive offroad, the Defender is pretty boring.

Unfortunately, Honda is a generation to a generation and a half behind some of the other makers right now and they are having to play catch up. This is related to their human centered engineering. Had this machine come out 5-7 years ago, it would have been a dominating force in the market. I am not sure why they didn't look at what causes some of the other makers to stand out from the pack. For whatever reason, Honda didn't look at it a system including ergonomics/ease of use/OEM accessories/integrated aftermarket. Unfortunately a lot of their accessories seem to have been added after the fact rather than looking at it holistically and looking at it how people will likely be using it.

Hopefully they will take a look at that and do some more varied testing in the future. I kind of get the impression that the test engineers at Honda tested it based on the limitations in the manual rather than looking at how people were likely to use it in the field. The water ingesting is a prime example. If you follow the guidelines in the manual, you will be fine. But who doesn't like to splash through puddles?!?! I do it in my Corolla for goodness sakes! ;) Not testing that was a major oversight that has thankfully been corrected.

All that being said, right now, if you are in the market for something that allows you to seat 5 without being a limo and/or want to have fun shifting in manual and still have a functional bed, the P1000 controls that niche.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
After blowing up a motor with water because of miscalculation from design of air intake causing a need for replacement due to no avail parts and no crate motor, multiple clutches that manufacture won't help with, steering shaft that came out because it wasn't in correctly, and now major motor issues due to a loose clamp allowing dirt to be injested thought the butterflies I'm less then impressed myself.
Never had an issue with previous model other then s***ty intake design but this machine has proved to be difficult to get the 2000 miles it has because it's always torn apart. Again qc,one good machine and one crap.ive had both!
Love the platform itself and like the no belt when it's working correctly. Rattles are easily adjusted out, the heat is easily fixed and appreciated in the winter,gear whine will get much quieter after break in with Lucas diff fluid. Great machine if the qc especially during testing and assembly was increased.

Last edited:
DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Glad you discovered those problems before you plunked down $17,000.00 like I did. There are many many more oversights on this machine in addition to the heat and gear whine. I bought my P-1000-3 sight unseen after being extremely happy with my Polaris Ranger. I figured, like most people, "It's a Honda...what's there to worry about. Gotta be at least as good as a Polaris right?" WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! And now that the word has spread on how poorly engineered these machines are, I can't give it away. I wanted to trade it in and go back to Polaris but I'd literally have to take a $10,000.00 loss on it. Lesson learned...never assume that just because a name brand has a great reputation that every product they make is a good one.

Want to sell it? What would you take for it?

Reactions: sharp
gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Always sorry to hear someone having problems with their machine . My 2016 p1000-3 has been great no problems so far with a little over 600 miles on it.

Reactions: sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Want to sell it? What would you take for it?
Payoff of the loan would be a dream come true but I know that's unrealistic on this machine (or so I'm told). I'm willing to take a $2000.00 bath on it plus give away all the little mods I made to it. I did opt for the Honda extended warranty (total of four years, unlimited miles). Don't know if that's transferrable. Machine has about 1500 miles on it. All road shoulder miles. Absolutely never been any mud or water whatsoever. XTC blinker kit. Horn. Extended Honda side mirrors. Extended automotive style rearview mirror. Honda one piece hard coat windshield. Honda sport roof. Honda hard rear panel. Shimmed bed front so it doesn't hit the rear panel when you raise it. Tusk Terrabite tires. Seat heat shield. Dash mounted, always hot 12VDC power point with dust cap. Polaris cup holders in place of the coin cups. A few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. I'll find out what the payoff is and I'll post. (just made a payment yesterday).

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are things about the P1000 that were not very well thought out. But there are things about it that are unique to the industry and I believe that Honda will get the problem areas ironed out. I miss having the ability to shift gears with my Defender. The Pioneer is much more interesting to drive offroad, the Defender is pretty boring.

Unfortunately, Honda is a generation to a generation and a half behind some of the other makers right now and they are having to play catch up. This is related to their human centered engineering. Had this machine come out 5-7 years ago, it would have been a dominating force in the market. I am not sure why they didn't look at what causes some of the other makers to stand out from the pack. For whatever reason, Honda didn't look at it a system including ergonomics/ease of use/OEM accessories/integrated aftermarket. Unfortunately a lot of their accessories seem to have been added after the fact rather than looking at it holistically and looking at it how people will likely be using it.

Hopefully they will take a look at that and do some more varied testing in the future. I kind of get the impression that the test engineers at Honda tested it based on the limitations in the manual rather than looking at how people were likely to use it in the field. The water ingesting is a prime example. If you follow the guidelines in the manual, you will be fine. But who doesn't like to splash through puddles?!?! I do it in my Corolla for goodness sakes! ;) Not testing that was a major oversight that has thankfully been corrected.

All that being said, right now, if you are in the market for something that allows you to seat 5 without being a limo and/or want to have fun shifting in manual and still have a functional bed, the P1000 controls that niche.
Everything you posted is spot on sir! Especially regarding the accessories and testing. Just today, I washed my Yazoo/Kees zero turn lawnmower and thought..."Wow! Honda should've hired this engineering team for their Pioneer. It's beautifully done under here!"

advertisement
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got over 1900 mi. On my 3p, heat is a issue, but acceptable to me. I had 2 formans, and 2 rincons, if you hit water steam would come out from under the seat. My only b**** is the stock tires are junk, two tires punctured, and had to plug on the trail, a more than half tread gone already.

P

plugger

Mar 4, 2016
West Michigan
The big disappointment for me was there are several features that Honda has that would make this machine outstanding if I could get past the others. The way the rear seats fold up tp use or fold down to have a lot of bed space would be huge. the only other bed, seat system I have been impressed with is the four seat mule. The problem with the mule is it's slower than the second coming of Christ and the suspension is reminiscent of a buckboard wagon. I had heard some negatives on the board and that is the only reason I hadn't gone ahead and ordered a camo pioneer. I am somewhat concerned about pulling wagons on the farm but we have been doing it for years with the mule and have not even replaced a belt. I have to assume that a Honda would be just as capable. The huge issue for me is I had sold my self on the Pioneer on paper and the reality is disappointing. I believe I am just the type of customer Honda needs. I am sold on Honda, I have the cash to buy and mod the machine. I really am not too picky but I expect decent quality, QC and customer service if necessary. I had my checkbook with me today to put a deposit for order if they didn't have a camo one at my dealer. I am going to really have to rethink what direction I am going, the Defender, basically was nice. If it had the folding seats like the pioneer I would probably buy one this week. I have always thought of Can-Am like a couple of old girl friends, pretty fast and quite sexy but high maintenance. I may wait a year and see if the issue that concern me get ironed out. I am thankful for this board and I think it's the best atv or sxs board on the web. I do a bit of fabrication for some jeep guys and really looking for a chance to do a project.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
While I haven't experienced the issues that a few have, I wouldn't use my Pioneer to pull wagons around on the farm. I don't think that the DCT is really designed to do that.

The mule, while having some issues of it's own, is probably the best rig to do that type of work with. I have buddies that work in the mines in Nevada and the only rig they want in the mines is a mule but once they leave work, none of them would own or drive a mule for pleasure.

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Sorry to hear that it's not working out. I have almost 2000 miles on my P3 and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. I know P1000's have some issues but it seems that every manufacture has issues. Even the ones that have been in the game for 20 yrs making SxS. I got 1500 miles on stock tires and could have gone further, fixed the heat issues for $40. Snorkel, no big deal. It shifts like butter. Maybe I just got a good one.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The big disappointment for me was there are several features that Honda has that would make this machine outstanding if I could get past the others. The way the rear seats fold up tp use or fold down to have a lot of bed space would be huge. the only other bed, seat system I have been impressed with is the four seat mule. The problem with the mule is it's slower than the second coming of Christ and the suspension is reminiscent of a buckboard wagon. I had heard some negatives on the board and that is the only reason I hadn't gone ahead and ordered a camo pioneer. I am somewhat concerned about pulling wagons on the farm but we have been doing it for years with the mule and have not even replaced a belt. I have to assume that a Honda would be just as capable. The huge issue for me is I had sold my self on the Pioneer on paper and the reality is disappointing. I believe I am just the type of customer Honda needs. I am sold on Honda, I have the cash to buy and mod the machine. I really am not too picky but I expect decent quality, QC and customer service if necessary. I had my checkbook with me today to put a deposit for order if they didn't have a camo one at my dealer. I am going to really have to rethink what direction I am going, the Defender, basically was nice. If it had the folding seats like the pioneer I would probably buy one this week. I have always thought of Can-Am like a couple of old girl friends, pretty fast and quite sexy but high maintenance. I may wait a year and see if the issue that concern me get ironed out. I am thankful for this board and I think it's the best atv or sxs board on the web. I do a bit of fabrication for some jeep guys and really looking for a chance to do a project.

I agree with you about this being the best board around. That is why I have hung around, even though I have gone over to the rubber band dark side. :D

By the way, the dark side is great, we have cake.:cool:

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After blowing up a motor with water because of miscalculation from design of air intake causing a need for replacement due to no avail parts and no crate motor, multiple clutches that manufacture won't help with, steering shaft that came out because it wasn't in correctly, and now major motor issues due to a loose clamp allowing dirt to be injested thought the butterflies I'm less then impressed myself.
Never had an issue with previous model other then s***ty intake design but this machine has proved to be difficult to get the 2000 miles it has because it's always torn apart. Again qc,one good machine and one crap.ive had both!
Love the platform itself and like the no belt when it's working correctly. Rattles are easily adjusted out, the heat is easily fixed and appreciated in the winter,gear whine will get much quieter after break in with Lucas diff fluid. Great machine if the qc especially during testing and assembly was increased.
You had loose hose clamp on the intake tubes after the airbox to the engine ?

J

JTW

You sound very much like I did.. I bought a pioneer 500 and was less than impressed so I well to the PK5.. NOW... I've had my issues with the machine, but I still really like it. Honda does need some ironing of a few things, mainly the relative hit or miss on the tranny. The intake and heat issues are easily and cheaply resolved. I feel like they anticipated us buying on their reputation but didn't really follow thru on their end. I think we get kinda get nickel and dimed on the accessories and options that should have come on the bike. (Cheap tires, s***ty skids, no storage, cheap suspension, etc..) I think profits were put ahead of product this time... and here we are. I still feel like it's the best bike OVERALL out there... BUT Honda could have made it put EVERYTHING else to shame and they dropped the ball on that.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
After 6,828 miles on my P1000-3 and 1,212 miles on my P1000-5 I couldn't be happier. Nothing broke. The heat issue can occur with a windshield or prolonged slow riding but its easy to fix. No gear whine on mine and its normal to hear the gear change clicking. All the current UTV's have things that could be improved but the belt drive models have issues that are difficult or impossible to fix. After putting around 60,000 miles on 8 belt drive UTV's I can say belt drive works great but around 5,000 miles most have problems and none will get to 10,000. Quality problems on Polaris are huge but the newer models are getting better. The Honda 1000 could have a much lower low range and reverse gear. It will be interesting to see the Honda Sport models if they get introduced next month. I go riding nearly everyday and would have way more miles on my Hondas but I bought a 2016 Yamaha YXZ Sport model and I'm near 12,000 miles on it.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After 6,828 miles on my P1000-3 and 1,212 miles on my P1000-5 I couldn't be happier. Nothing broke. The heat issue can occur with a windshield or prolonged slow riding but its easy to fix. No gear whine on mine and its normal to hear the gear change clicking. All the current UTV's have things that could be improved but the belt drive models have issues that are difficult or impossible to fix. After putting around 60,000 miles on 8 belt drive UTV's I can say belt drive works great but around 5,000 miles most have problems and none will get to 10,000. Quality problems on Polaris are huge but the newer models are getting better. The Honda 1000 could have a much lower low range and reverse gear. It will be interesting to see the Honda Sport models if they get introduced next month. I go riding nearly everyday and would have way more miles on my Hondas but I bought a 2016 Yamaha YXZ Sport model and I'm near 12,000 miles on it.

Are there any "job openings" in whatever it is that you do that it gives you enough time to put 12K on a rig (and it is only one of many) and pays you enough to afford to buy that many rigs?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!