P1000 Honda needs to get their act together

J

JTW

Funny I read this tonight my tie rod was also super lose just pin keeping it in. I can't really say how mine would have been stock since this is probably the 6th time I have taken entire back casing off. With my gear reduction to change the clutch it ALL has to come off. Then there was that time last night I got it all back together and looked down at these two little bolts. Yeah they went inside the first casing to hold it on.... I was so super happy to do it all again... the machine just needs more aftermarket support (clutches, axles ect). Cause as much s*** as I tear up messing with it, the Honda stuff takes forever to order lol
Bhahahahah!! Yep.. I know that feeling!

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
J

JTW

damn, I was shocked to read this. You would think for 20k + - these things would be built like brick sh.. houses. I dont have a lot of miles on mine but reading this thread, and others, makes me not wanna upgrade
2000+ lbs driven like a race car thru some of the places we go is going to test them! The limits of the p500 really saves the machine A LOT! That's besides it being a well tested platform going into things.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
what

what did you get? After driving my friends Can Am Commander its on my radar

I got a Defender.

Here is my review:

My new Canned Ham!

So far I like it pretty good. There are things about it that I don't like and things that I do and there are things that I liked more about the Pioneer. I really was focused on something that was more utility and less sport so I wasn't interested in the Commander. If you really love the shifting on the P500, you WILL NOT like the Defender. That is one of the things I miss about he Pioneer. You are much more involved in the driving and feel more connected to the machine in the Pioneer. The Defender is pretty boring in comparison. (Which my wife prefers)

I would wait until after Sept if you are really interested in the Commander. Supposedly they are going to release something new. Some rumors are that it may be a revised Commander with X3/Defender clutching and different engine placement/options. So that might pique your interest more or maybe drop prices on the existing Commander design if it pans out.

Plus the 2018 Pioneers might be out and they may have some of the upgrades mentioned in other threads to fix a lot of the complaints.

Reactions: rocmar and X4Dice
shawshank63

shawshank63

Jul 7, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are things about the P1000 that were not very well thought out. But there are things about it that are unique to the industry and I believe that Honda will get the problem areas ironed out. I miss having the ability to shift gears with my Defender. The Pioneer is much more interesting to drive offroad, the Defender is pretty boring.

Unfortunately, Honda is a generation to a generation and a half behind some of the other makers right now and they are having to play catch up. This is related to their human centered engineering. Had this machine come out 5-7 years ago, it would have been a dominating force in the market. I am not sure why they didn't look at what causes some of the other makers to stand out from the pack. For whatever reason, Honda didn't look at it a system including ergonomics/ease of use/OEM accessories/integrated aftermarket. Unfortunately a lot of their accessories seem to have been added after the fact rather than looking at it holistically and looking at it how people will likely be using it.

Hopefully they will take a look at that and do some more varied testing in the future. I kind of get the impression that the test engineers at Honda tested it based on the limitations in the manual rather than looking at how people were likely to use it in the field. The water ingesting is a prime example. If you follow the guidelines in the manual, you will be fine. But who doesn't like to splash through puddles?!?! I do it in my Corolla for goodness sakes! ;) Not testing that was a major oversight that has thankfully been corrected.

All that being said, right now, if you are in the market for something that allows you to seat 5 without being a limo and/or want to have fun shifting in manual and still have a functional bed, the P1000 controls that niche.
This Is my sentiment exactly Crow_Hunter. I love that I can take my 3 grandkids on some pretty tough trails and also have a nice machine to work with around my 5 acre property. The Clutch issue I am have may change my mind though! Hopefully the dealer will just take care of it!

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
2000+ lbs driven like a race car thru some of the places we go is going to test them! The limits of the p500 really saves the machine A LOT! That's besides it being a well tested platform going into things.
Oh I coudnt agree more. Its like comparing a thoroughbred to a mule.
Thoroughbred is going to have more chances of breaking a leg while the mule will get there, eventually. But it will get there

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Are there any "job openings" in whatever it is that you do that it gives you enough time to put 12K on a rig (and it is only one of many) and pays you enough to afford to buy that many rigs?
Come on uncle Bob spill the beans

Reactions: sharp
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Been retired for over 21 years. My wonderful last wife made sure I could retire young, buy lots of toys, and go riding nearly everyday. My friends had to work an extra 10 years after a divorce. Can you say LUCKY. I was husband #3 out of 5. She tells me I was her favorite. We had a wonderful 10 years. You guy keep paying in that Social security money. I'm spending it on new side by sides and buy another one every year.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Been retired for over 21 years. My wonderful last wife made sure I could retire young, buy lots of toys, and go riding nearly everyday. My friends had to work an extra 10 years after a divorce. Can you say LUCKY. I was husband #3 out of 5. She tells me I was her favorite. We had a wonderful 10 years. You guy keep paying in that Social security money. I'm spending it on new side by sides and buy another one every year.

So that's what happened to me...... still with number one and we're both still working!

Reactions: nbomar and swsebek
J

JTW

Bhahahaha!!!! Well, good for you!! What did she do?

Reactions: nbomar
AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While I haven't experienced the issues that a few have, I wouldn't use my Pioneer to pull wagons around on the farm. I don't think that the DCT is really designed to do that.

The mule, while having some issues of it's own, is probably the best rig to do that type of work with. I have buddies that work in the mines in Nevada and the only rig they want in the mines is a mule but once they leave work, none of them would own or drive a mule for pleasure.
Honda says the Pioneer 1000 can pull 2000 lbs so why cant it pull a wagon around a farm?

advertisement
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda says the Pioneer 1000 can pull 2000 lbs so why cant it pull a wagon around a farm?

Certainly can pull that much but with the jerking and tugging that a wagon can put on a rig, I'd be concerned about my Pioneer and the clutch system with that tugging.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Some are getting by pulling a trailer occasionally and I did also some with my previous 1000 but imo if doing it all the time I'd choose the 700

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I may consider a700. do they have the same heat and gear whine issues?
Less heat for sure. Gear whine is a little less too but heat can be fixed pretty easily and gear whine really goes away with a little mileage and heavy gear oil.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The PK just keeps getting better, for us anyway. Pushing 600 miles now and the gear whine is less noticeable than at mile zero. It's still there but with Lucas 80w-140 front and rear, it's OK. The rattle in 4WD at high speed is more of my concern. It sounds like it gonn'a grenade something. I only run in 4WD at low speed or if it's needed. I sure wish I knew what is going on. Guess I could run it until it shirts the bed...then I'll know...LOL.

As for heat...with the entire windshield off, heat is no issue...put on the lower 2 piece and there is heat AND dust. I won't be running it until it starts raining or snowing.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Less heat for sure. Gear whine is a little less too but heat can be fixed pretty easily and gear whine really goes away with a little mileage and heavy gear oil.
What type and weight of grear oil are you running in your p1k and what kind of temps do you ride in? I get the gear whine but it is 95 to 110F here now so I can run heavier oil I'm sure.

J

JTW

The PK just keeps getting better, for us anyway. Pushing 600 miles now and the gear whine is less noticeable than at mile zero. It's still there but with Lucas 80w-140 front and rear, it's OK. The rattle in 4WD at high speed is more of my concern. It sounds like it gonn'a grenade something. I only run in 4WD at low speed or if it's needed. I sure wish I knew what is going on. Guess I could run it until it shirts the bed...then I'll know...LOL.

As for heat...with the entire windshield off, heat is no issue...put on the lower 2 piece and there is heat AND dust. I won't be running it until it starts raining or snowing.
The super atv flip windshield you may want to check out..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What type and weight of grear oil are you running in your p1k and what kind of temps do you ride in? I get the gear whine but it is 95 to 110F here now so I can run heavier oil I'm sure.
Lucas 85-140. Especially running that in higher temp

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!