BOX1

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Service Manual now available

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
That website is fussy. For one - it doesn't like Chrome.
I had to call to order mine.
Nice folks to talk to...

jpgoody98

jpgoody98

Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Kearney, MO
Mines on its way, thank you!!

Has anyone had to adjust the valves at 20hrs/100mile 1st service??

I have two local shops, for the 20hrs service one said 200.00, another 535.00....quite the price swing...

My three week advanced appointment has been pushed back TWO more weeks, I'm doing it my self and will sleep better at night anyway!! I'm use to adjusting valves from our dirtbikes.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For anyone who hasn't purchased one yet.....don't pay the extra for 2 day shipping and actually expect to get it in 2 days. Apparently 2 day shipping means 2 days after they finally decide to get off their lazy arses and send the dang thing out. And yes I'm trying extremely hard to keep this post family friendly. I got over paying 16 bucks handling charge for a friggin manual but am I asking too much asking for the shipping that I paid for??? I paid the 30 bucks cause I knew weekend was coming. It's gonna be after the weekend anyways now. Okay rant is over. Time to send them some not so family friendly feedback.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Mines on its way, thank you!!

Has anyone had to adjust the valves at 20hrs/100mile 1st service??

I have two local shops, for the 20hrs service one said 200.00, another 535.00....quite the price swing...

My three week advanced appointment has been pushed back TWO more weeks, I'm doing it my self and will sleep better at night anyway!! I'm use to adjusting valves from our dirtbikes.
I haven't heard of anyone who has had their valves adjusted at the first service,at least that I can remember. I didn't worry about it on mine as I didn't think it was noisy

Reactions: jpgoody98

1sweet1000

Mar 8, 2016
Sebring, Fl
Just received my manual yesterday. REALLY will pay off in the future I am sure! Well worth it if you are doing any of the work yourself!!
Just ordered mine. Could you tell me what colors of piston rods mean? Sunk mine and bent rod and ordered everything but bearings. Thank you

1sweet1000

Mar 8, 2016
Sebring, Fl
Used mine today... used the wiring diagram on 25-2 to confirm which brown wire to tap for "lights on" power. This manual is a must have.
Just ordered my manual. But could you tell me what colors mean on pistion rod bearings.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just ordered mine. Could you tell me what colors of piston rods mean? Sunk mine and bent rod and ordered everything but bearings. Thank you

Dang dude! That sucks. Stock intake or did you have a snorkel?

I am also waiting on a manual so I can't help right now n

jpgoody98

jpgoody98

Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Kearney, MO
I haven't heard of anyone who has had their valves adjusted at the first service,at least that I can remember. I didn't worry about it on mine as I didn't think it was noisy

Yeah, I checked mine tonight just because, both where spot on, probably should not have messed with it like you did.

My heart sank when I saw all the automotive style plastic tabs,,,,,but they actually operate very well and easily, thank GOD.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
The colours go from brown , green, yellow, white and purple. Thickest to thinnest. There is a chart in the manual but I can not scan it tonight.

You have your machine that far apart? You are a brave man!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's like their Street bikes (and I bet it is), there are size codes imprinted on the crank and big end of the rods. I can't remember which uses numbers and which uses letters (been a while since I freshened one up) but you read the codes from left to right and they correlate to the rod or crank journal left to right as you sit on the bike. For example the crank might read AACB ( 4 cyl). Look at rod #1 and it might have a "2" stamped on the cap. So your bearing code for rod 1 would be A2. You'd then look at service manual to see which color corresponds with A2. Don't bother mic'ing them cause I did several to start with and they were always spot on. The main bearings were same way. They'd have codes on crank ( below rod codes), and codes stamped into the crankcase. That's why you couldn't swap case halves on a Honda unless you were certain they had same main bearing code. The codes in crank were actually printed on there somehow so you couldn't dip the cranks in anything really strong or it'd eat the codes off lol.
Im pretty sure Honda would still use this system on the Pioneer's powerplant. If they don't, I just wrote all this crap for nothing! Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: pct
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's like their Street bikes (and I bet it is), there are size codes imprinted on the crank and big end of the rods. I can't remember which uses numbers and which uses letters (been a while since I freshened one up) but you read the codes from left to right and they correlate to the rod or crank journal left to right as you sit on the bike. For example the crank might read AACB. Look at rod #1 and it would have a "2" stamped on the cap. So your bearing code for rod 1 would be A2. You'd then look at service manual to see which color corresponds with A2. Don't bother mic'ing them cause I did several to start with and they were always spot on. The main bearings were same way. They'd have codes on crank ( below rod codes), and codes stamped into the crankcase. That's why you couldn't swap case halves on a Honda unless you were certain they had same main bearing code. The codes in crank were actually printed on there somehow so you couldn't dip the cranks in anything really strong or it'd eat the codes off lol.
Im pretty sure Honda would still use this system on the Pioneer's powerplant. If they don't, I just wrote all this crap for nothing! Lol.
I could tell you for sure if I had my manual delivered on time. It'd better be in my hands Tues or I'm going ballistic (long story).

Reactions: Stauvo

1sweet1000

Mar 8, 2016
Sebring, Fl
The colours go from brown , green, yellow, white and purple. Thickest to thinnest. There is a chart in the manual but I can not scan it tonight.

You have your machine that far apart? You are a brave man!
Bent a rod. No warranty.
Dang dude! That sucks. Stock intake or did you have a snorkel?

I am also waiting on a manual so I can't help right now n
Stock. Very easy to work on so far. Pulled motor, pulled head and oil pan and had piston and rods out in 3 hours total.... Only thing i don't want to ever do is transmission.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Share some pics if you took any. I would be interested in seeing the water that damaged the ride and the tear down pics if you have them.

Reactions: pct
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bent a rod. No warranty.

Stock. Very easy to work on so far. Pulled motor, pulled head and oil pan and had piston and rods out in 3 hours total.... Only thing i don't want to ever do is transmission.
Does rod cap have a number or letter stamped in it? I had a buddy suck up some water with his Eclipse and it bent a rod. Bent the crap out of it. Didn't have any kind of splash guard or anything for his cold air intake so sucked it right down.

1sweet1000

Mar 8, 2016
Sebring, Fl
Does rod cap have a number or letter stamped in it? I had a buddy suck up some water with his Eclipse and it bent a rod. Bent the crap out of it. Didn't have any kind of splash guard or anything for his cold air intake so sucked it right down.
No stamps at all.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
My manual jumps from page 17-20 to 18-13, continues to 18-28, then starts at 18-13 again.
It's not just page numbering - the material is duplicated.
So I have 2 sets of 18-13 to 18-28 and I'm missing 17-21 to 18-12.

Anyone got the opposite problem that wants to trade? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hawk53
Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
My manual jumps from page 17-20 to 18-13, continues to 18-28, then starts at 18-13 again.
It's not just page numbering - the material is duplicated.
So I have 2 sets of 18-13 to 18-28 and I'm missing 17-21 to 18-12.

Anyone got the opposite problem that wants to trade? :rolleyes:
That sucks! Just checked mine, and it is fine. They should just send you a new one! could video the problem and send them a link? Should be NO reason you have to return the old...

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I called this morning and she said they would send another one but I might get a call first.
So I'm gonna post these here in case they want to come here and have a look.
IMG 2474 IMG 2471 IMG 2472

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!