P1000 Honda pioneer 1000 Won’t shift out of 1st

C

Ceilers

Aug 29, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2017 pioneer 1000-3LE with 1700 miles. Wouldn’t shift out of first, wasn’t showing a gear number, no check engine light. Shut it off, went away. 25 minutes later bogged down in some sand, same thing happened, along with a check engine light. Shut it down for an hour or so. Rode the rest of the day with no issues. Week before, rode for 3, 100 mile days, no problems.

C

Ceilers

Aug 29, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Checked all the fluids, checked the accessory fuse, got 1/4 turn on the battery terminals. Ran over a few of the connections and wires I could. Not finding anything obvious. I did add some aluminum foil heat shield under the seat this last year, could the heat retention be an issue?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Checked all the fluids, checked the accessory fuse, got 1/4 turn on the battery terminals. Ran over a few of the connections and wires I could. Not finding anything obvious. I did add some aluminum foil heat shield under the seat this last year, could the heat retention be an issue?
No way on the heat shield causing issues. Too many people have done that and not had a problem.

Reactions: Lady01
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
If you were able to turn the battery cable bolts a 1/4 turn each I would suspect poor connections. It would be a good idea to remove each cable end and make sure that the cable ends and terminals are clean . You need a good constant power supply to power all the electronics.
One other thing is were starting to see shift control motor problems due to a dirty armature. Just saying.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there a chance it's a short in the seatbelt governor?
(If your belt's not plugged in you can't top about 15 mph.)

C

Ceilers

Aug 29, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you were able to turn the battery cable bolts a 1/4 turn each I would suspect poor connections. It would be a good idea to remove each cable end and make sure that the cable ends and terminals are clean . You need a good constant power supply to power all the electronics.
One other thing is were starting to see shift control motor problems due to a dirty armature. Just saying.
I’m going to pull them off and clean them. Hopefully it’s that simple. A guy at a shop in town said I should be able to do something at the dash to get the code to reflash?

advertisement
P

PioneeringTimes

Aug 6, 2021
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
These things (particularly the DCT) seem to be extremely picky with having good battery connections. I will suspect the quarter turn on the cables fixed it.

Had a Aquatrax (HONDA PWC) that was doing all sorts of strange electrical things and battery cables were as tight as a screw driver could get. Got my socket and ratchet out and tightened slightly more and this seemed to solve the rough running and cutting out issue I had. Now I always snug up battery connections on everything with my ratchet and add a little dielectric grease every time for good measure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!