P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000LE importance of Clutch Relearn

F

FrogDogs

Dec 16, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
hi all- new poster- I've got a 2018 1000LE. recently had the ECU replaced at the dealership due to constant overheating- upon receiving it back off transport i noticed a U on the dash. Called dealer- guy i spoke with said i had prob dropped LED's in dash , not to worry.

headed off on big trip- 8 hours driving, unloaded bike and it drove like crap from the get go.
wasn't till a week later once back in mobile reception i googled this letter U and found it was for the clutch relearn...…
cheers dealership :mad: now I've got a battle on my hands trying to have them rectify this.

Question is: anyone got any experience with the damage it can do when the relearn isn't done?

H

HondaTech

hi all- new poster- I've got a 2018 1000LE. recently had the ECU replaced at the dealership due to constant overheating- upon receiving it back off transport i noticed a U on the dash. Called dealer- guy i spoke with said i had prob dropped LED's in dash , not to worry.

headed off on big trip- 8 hours driving, unloaded bike and it drove like crap from the get go.
wasn't till a week later once back in mobile reception i googled this letter U and found it was for the clutch relearn...…
cheers dealership :mad: now I've got a battle on my hands trying to have them rectify this.

Question is: anyone got any experience with the damage it can do when the relearn isn't done?

I'll PM you.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch relearn peocedure is widely known on this forum. Ive discussed its importance (to me atleast) with every service.

I figure it might be easier to get my ideas and point across with a PM.

Fair enough. No question you've been a wealth of knowledge that I, for sure, appreciate. Just curious, could running without doing the relearn, when called for, do any damage?

When you say, "every service", should the clutch relearn be done for initial and regular scheduled maintenance service, or are you meaning whenever the clutch is serviced? (Sorry for the maybe dumb question.)

F

FrogDogs

Dec 16, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks all- relearn was done at new dealership- we had being using the bike like that for over a month though. That’s the concern.
the original dealership claimed to have “no idea” about this relearn.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
H

HondaTech

Fair enough. No question you've been a wealth of knowledge that I, for sure, appreciate. Just curious, could running without doing the relearn, when called for, do any damage?

When you say, "every service", should the clutch relearn be done for initial and regular scheduled maintenance service, or are you meaning whenever the clutch is serviced? (Sorry for the maybe dumb question.)

Im not sure any damage would be done without a relearn when necessary.

We do a clutch relearn with every service, its alot like adjusting clutch lever freeplay on a regular manual shift motorcycle or atv. The clutch wears over time and the freeplay in the clutch will change and this helps the PCM learn the pressures it needs to apply the clutch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!