Resource icon

Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide

Gbikes

Gbikes

Sep 13, 2015
Naples NY
Awesome post . Wish they made a hop up for the p5 exhaust or something . And some fox shocks too .

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DId 100 miles oil change today. Went fine, also found very tight 3 screws holding passenger seat. Most likely will drill out 3" opening where the oil drain plug for easy access.

Reactions: Gbikes
R

randye

Sep 27, 2015
Changed my engine oil for the first time this evening after work. Honda definetely has made access to do this WAY more difficult than it should be! Remove all the clips and three screws just to access the oil filter.REALLY! A smaller plate inside of the seat bottom apparatus would easily do the same trick,and a lot faster. Yes,I too had a fight with the three phillips head screws. Stripped the top on one too. Figured out to take a small cold chisel to the screws-a couple raps with a hammer and they loosen easily. Also,honda no longer gives you the two o rings with the filter(they used to be included on other models) I have owned. Engineers need their head examined sometimes on how they build things,and make simple maintenance so complicated and time consuming. Love the machine however,just mad at why they try to MAKE you take it to the dealer to do anything anymore.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I've performed 3 full services on my P500. I have thought everything was easily accessible except for the oil filter. The rest of the procedure can be done in about the same time it takes to get to, and change out the oil filter. I had a similar filter setup on my 450 Foreman, but accessing the cover/spring setup out in the open was not a problem. Inside the engine compartment of the Pioneer, it's a booger to get to and manipulate. Since the filter is "protected" by skid plates, body panels, and the fuel tank, why couldn't it be a "screw on" type filter? It would definitely make things easier.

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
I tried to change the oil filter today and I couldn't get 2 of the 3 Philips screws out from under the passenger seat.
I would suggest starting to back the screws out with a pair of small Channel Locks. I used 420's and once they were loose I used a screwdriver. I can see how they would strip out easily.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I changed my oil for the first time following your guide It was a great help. Thank you very much. I too had three very tight bolts. The oil change was just like my foreman 450ES actually the whole P500 feels like my Foreman which is a great thing, if it can take a beating and work like my Foreman I got my moneys worth. I filled the oil up but am a little over the high mark maybe 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch should I leave it like that or drain a little out?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I changed my oil for the first time following your guide It was a great help. Thank you very much. I too had three very tight bolts. The oil change was just like my foreman 450ES actually the whole P500 feels like my Foreman which is a great thing, if it can take a beating and work like my Foreman I got my moneys worth. I filled the oil up but am a little over the high mark maybe 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch should I leave it like that or drain a little out?
@zxylene Welcome to the club! You should be OK if you are only 1/8" over the high mark, I would not worry about it.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Thank you. I figured it wasn't much over but didn't want to cause any damage.

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
Glad to have this Forum. I've had several side by sides but have always taken my machines to the dealer for mods & maintanence. I'm sick of the hassle of getting it there and waiting to see the bill! I've decided to do it on my own with this one and the other owners have been a lot of help. Its the best tool in my tool box!

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Webby I agree my dealer is about 35 miles from my house and I would not want to load the sxs and haul there. This site saved me a lot. And cost me some too as I get more ideas for addons. But they all add value.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
HondaSeth

HondaSeth

Jan 1, 2016
Northern MI
For the three tight screws, I gripped the screwdriver with large Channellocks with one hand and pushed down (pretty hard) on the screwdriver with the other hand. They busted loose easily. Also, when I put the filter cover back on, I press on it hard to hold it in place until I get all three bolts hand tightened as far as I can get them. The first time I did it, I tightened only one and the cover popped out some and tore the o-ring.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For the three tight screws, I gripped the screwdriver with large Channellocks with one hand and pushed down (pretty hard) on the screwdriver with the other hand. They busted loose easily. Also, when I put the filter cover back on, I press on it hard to hold it in place until I get all three bolts hand tightened as far as I can get them. The first time I did it, I tightened only one and the cover popped out some and tore the o-ring.

Welcome to the club @HondaSeth

Reactions: HondaSeth
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Welcome to the club @HondaSeth
So do the large and small o-rings have to be replaced with the oil change, even if they look good?? Thanks

HondaSeth

HondaSeth

Jan 1, 2016
Northern MI
So do the large and small o-rings have to be replaced with the oil change, even if they look good?? Thanks
I would say no, but make sure you have each of them on your shelf for when you need them. An oil change o-ring tear is going to happen and it will be at an inconvenient time. If you have one on the shelf...

Reactions: Rustneversleeps
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would say no, but make sure you have each of them on your shelf for when you need them. An oil change o-ring tear is going to happen and it will be at an inconvenient time. If you have one on the shelf...
Got it. Thanks

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok, did the first oil change. Was glad to have the good step by step and pictorial instructions. I was careful with the stories I've seen here about stripped bolts and plugs and so it went well. But man, that cover, o-rings, spring, little bitty cartridge filter is bs. Honda couldn't have put an external spin on filter?? But, it is what it is, I'm still happy with the machine.

Reactions: JACKAL and Hondasxs
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok, did the first oil change. Was glad to have the good step by step and pictorial instructions. I was careful with the stories I've seen here about stripped bolts and plugs and so it went well. But man, that cover, o-rings, spring, little bitty cartridge filter is bs. Honda couldn't have put an external spin on filter?? But, it is what it is, I'm still happy with the machine.

I wonder how big a millionaire a guy would be that made a billet adapter to bolt in place of the cover which used a spin on filter? I bet it would fit a dozen different ATV's SXS by Honda. Hmmm retirement project for Jackal, soon as I did it Honda would fix it themselves put me outta business.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
DId 100 miles oil change today. Went fine, also found very tight 3 screws holding passenger seat. Most likely will drill out 3" opening where the oil drain plug for easy access.
I had no problem with the existing 1-1/2" hole. A three inch hole is more likely to allow Stobbs to get up in their!!

Reactions: Dp5hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!