Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't make heads or tails out of Manuel.lol
@markie,
I want to make sure you have this correct.
For the Pioneer 500, the second oil change is at 600 miles or 100 hours.
Then every adational 600m/100h after that.
Thanks.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
@markie,
Thanks.
Th
@markie,
Thanks.
Thanks a bunch.That's simple.lol

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
View attachment 2829

Tools needed:
  • Flat Head Screw Driver or Fender Clip Removal Tool to remove the clips
  • Phillips Screw Driver for the Screws
  • 17mm Ratchet for Oil Drain Plug
  • 8mm Ratchet for Oil Filter Cover
  • Torque wrench
  • Small end funnel

Supplies needed:
  • Filter Part Number - 15412-HM5-A10 - Buy Here
  • Oil Reqired - 4 Liters (3.2 required) - Pro Honda GN4 4-Stroke Motor Oil Buy Here
  • A Few Rags
  • Oil Catch Pan

Optional Parts
  • Large Cover O-RING (54X2.4), Part#91302-KF0-003
  • Small Cover O-RING (11X1.9), Part#91303-HA0-004
  • SPRING, Part#15414-KF0-000
  • BOLT, FLANGE (6X18), Part#96001-06018-00
  • DRAIN PLUG BOLT (12MM), Part# 92800-12000
  • DRAIN PLUG WASHER (12MM), Part# 94109-12000
  • Fender Clips, Part# 90653-HC4-900

Prepare the work area and the SxS:
Locate a safe and level spot to park the SxS.
Operate the SxS long enough to engage the 4x4.
Drive to selected spot.
Engage the park brake. Because it is in 4x4 the front wheels will break.

Seat Removal:
Bottom Seat: Pull the rear bottom of the seat upward then slide slightly backward and set to the side.
Back Cushion: Pull the bottom of the cushion outward the push up and set to the side
View attachment 2811

Seats removed. There are hooks on the outside part of the seats and grommets on the inside.
View attachment 2813

Cab without Seats.
View attachment 2814

Remove Under Seat Panels:
Remove the Rear Center Panel
View attachment 2818

Remove the Right Seat Bottom Cover from the passenger side of the cab..
View attachment 2815

The clips and screws must be removed. There should be 13 clips and 3 screws that need to be removed.
View attachment 2812

Not a bad idea to buy a fender clip removal tool to remove those stubborn clips. This tool can be bought at most auto part stores. You may also want to purchase some additional clips. They can be purchased at your local dealer or online here: Honda Fender Clips

Once the clips and screws are removed you can flip up the tray under the passenger seat to access the filter cover and filter. Be very careful with the ECU, it should flip up with the tray.
View attachment 2816

Draining the OIL:
Jack the rear of the SXS500M2 to gain easy access to the oil drain plug.
Open the oil fill dip stick to help with the drain.
Place your oil drain pan under the plug and remove the plug with a 17mm ratchet. Allow oil to drain. Replace the washer drain plug and sealing washer. Torque the plug to 25N.m (2.5 kgf, 18 lbf.ft)
View attachment 2819

Replacing the Filter:
Under the passenger seat place an old rag under the cover, oil will leak. Remove the three bolts on the oil filter cover.
View attachment 2820

Remove the filter and dispose of properly. Replace with new filter in the correct order. Wet the O-rings with a light coating of oil.
View attachment 2817

Re-install filter cover and torque the Oil Filter Cover Bolts to acceptable specs.
WARING: Book states a torque of 9 lbf.ft (12N.m , 1.2 kgf.m), yet users have reported this may be incorrect and too much for the bolt causing it to break. Recommended using personal judgement and checking back often.

Replacing the OIL:
Replacing the Oil with the recommended oil
View attachment 2831

After Draining/Filter Change = 3.2 Liters

Remove the jack so the SXS500M2 is level.
Place a funnel in the oil fill/dipstick hole under the drivers seat and refill with 3.2 Liters of the recommended oil as shown above.
View attachment 2830

Checking the Oil
Park SxS on level surface, Start and run the engine at idle for 3-5 minuets. Stop the engine and allow to sit for 2-3 minuets.
Check the oil level is filled properly using the dip stick.
View attachment 2832
Remove the dip stick and wipe clean. Insert the dip stick into the hole without screwing it in. Remove after 1/2 second.
Check level by looking for oil between the UPPER and LOWER mark as shown below.
View attachment 2827

If low, re-do the check. If still low, add oil until reading is between the UPPER and LOWER marks. DO NOT OVER FILL!
Install dip stick.
Be sure to check back to insure there is no leaks.

The last step Maintenance Minder Indicator
The Maintenance Minder Indicator will appear in the main display when you have reached a maintenance period suggested by the Honda maintenance schedule.
The wrench will appear in the display at the following periods:

• Initial Maintenance – 100 miles
  • Regular Maintenance Interval 1 – 600 miles
  • Regular Maintenance Interval 2 – 600 miles after interval 1 is displayed
View the full Maintenance Schedule HERE

View attachment 2828

Resetting it
To shut the Maintenance Minder Indicator Off
Place the ignition switch in the off position. Hold the mode button on the display down and move the ignition switch to the on position. Remain holding the mode button until the wrench starts to flash (2 seconds) and the Maintenance Minder will disappear.

Now you are all set and ready to hit the trail.
Good luck and be safe.

*If you see a error please let me know.

Props to Pauly for helping put this together.
THANK YOU @pauly
Thanks.
t
So do the large and small o-rings have to be replaced with the oil change, even if they look good?? Thanks
First oil change, almost lost the little o ring, lucky it was laying on the skid plate. Be careful!

Reactions: Chooglin
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
First time doing the 100 hour tune-up.first observation is that it will be much quicker next time! For the gear oil, if you have an undermount winch, it is a bit crowded down there. I used 75-90 gear oil for this winter since I will be plowing. As for the engine, yeah...who hell the designed that oil filter and location! Anyways, all done valve and all which was gapped correctly anyway. Also did the clutch adjustment which was I realise now a bit tight. s***s much better now. Thanks to all the contributors on this forum!

Reactions: markie
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
First time doing the 100 hour tune-up.first observation is that it will be much quicker next time! For the gear oil, if you have an undermount winch, it is a bit crowded down there. I used 75-90 gear oil for this winter since I will be plowing. As for the engine, yeah...who hell the designed that oil filter and location! Anyways, all done valve and all which was gapped correctly anyway. Also did the clutch adjustment which was I realise now a bit tight. s***s much better now. Thanks to all the contributors on this forum!
Somewhere somebodys working on a bilited modification to the access plate to accept a spin on oil filter. The current set up is something like pre 1950's, lol.

Reactions: Seg
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Question - I'm about to tackle this myself. Can I use ATV wet clutch oil? I have a case of it for my Rancher... would love to be able to use it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Question - I'm about to tackle this myself. Can I use ATV wet clutch oil? I have a case of it for my Rancher... would love to be able to use it.
It needs to say JASO-MA rated on the container somewhere. And no "energy conserving" meaning that it has frictions modifiers.

A

Adam18629

Jan 7, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I read on here buying some extra fender clips is a good idea. What size are they ? I punch in fender clips and a few size show up.
Also how many buy a fender clip tool and how many just improvise ?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I read on here buying some extra fender clips is a good idea. What size are they ? I punch in fender clips and a few size show up.
Also how many buy a fender clip tool and how many just improvise ?

I have a panel tool for removing door panels and such, works great on clips too, fairly cheap.

Reactions: monaco
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I finally did my oil. I didn't find it hard really, just pointlessly complicated. No broken or stripped bolts, and the O-rings all looked good and stayed in place, so I'm happy!

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I have a panel tool for removing door panels and such, works great on clips too, fairly cheap.

Me too. I bought one in prep for the oil change - it's cheap and worth keeping under the seat.

Reactions: trigger
A

Adam18629

Jan 7, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
again if i may. what size are the fender clips and what is the tool that you guys use to remove them. Especially when doing an oil change
thanks

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: solrus
Chris_MI

Chris_MI

Mar 19, 2016
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Regarding oil change intervals, what if it takes me 2 years to go 600 miles? Should I change the oil sooner than that even if I haven't driven the miles on the machine?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regarding oil change intervals, what if it takes me 2 years to go 600 miles? Should I change the oil sooner than that even if I haven't driven the miles on the machine?

I would not ,but lets say if u drive 300 miles and had to take long brakes for 6 months then drive next year, then yes. But if u drive drive every month some miles then to my common sense , you should be ok to change it every 600 miles. At least that what I would do.

Reactions: Chris_MI
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I bought mine last year and changed the oil at the 100 mark. I hope to put a lot of miles on this year, but if I don't hit that 600 mark, I'll change it the following Spring regardless.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
NO ! OIL DONT SPOIL . Heck the oil coming out of the sunken U S Arizona is still good .

Reactions: Seg
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!