BOX1

Honda Pioneer 700 Top Speed

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
I have read that the Pioneer will have a faster top speed then the Big Red. I have been told the Big Red topped out at 40MPH. The Pioneer speed limit has been moved up to 45 MPH.
We all know Honda does not build for speed in the atv/sxs market. They build for reliability. You know you will make it home on a Honda.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I believe that the speed factor is the major reason non Honda UTV owners dislike the Big Red and now the Pioneer. The fact that the Big Red maxed out at only 40 mph was enough of a reason to bash them to no limit. I for one never plan to exceed those limits as I've known friends that have been seriously injured from roll overs. I have other vehicles at hand when my need to speed eats at me. The increased speed limiter on the Pioneer is fine with me and I do appreciate the low range selector now on the Pioneer which the Big Red didn't have.

Haters are just gonna hate.

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
BigRed,
What you talking about "Low Range". Have I missed something?
I agree 40-45 is fast enough to get there in a hurry. This thing is not built for racing. Its built for work and play.

You right about the haters. Really they hating they did not buy a Honda when they broke in the backwoods. lol.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
What I was referring to was what I think Honda calls the Sport mode or Cruise mode. the shift points in the transmission changes and delays the shift of gears. Watch some of the videos and it will be described better.

BTW....it's BigRiver...not BigRed LOL!

Download

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
bigriver. sorry about that name mixup. That is good. so u think it is like a low end with more power setting. sounds like it will kick in automatically.

Im excited to get to ride one of these things.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Redrider, check out the video on this forums portal page titled Tech Talk, it's the second one down.

At about 3:50 sec. into the video, the announcer talks about the transmission shift maps that I was referring to. It seems that it's more of an automatic feature rather than a switch the driver can select.

It may not be as effective as like the transmission on my Rubicon, but it seems to be an improvement over the Big Red.

Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Aug 12, 2013
Palestine, IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would be all for buying a new Pioneer if it had a top speed of at least 60 mph. Seriously, how did they Honda even come up with the name Pioneer when they're years behind Polaris Canam, Kawasaki, etc. in the SxS market?

How about this for an idea - design a 2 & 4 seat model with a 900cc engine, 5 speed automatic transmission, and call it the "Odyssey". Give it a top speed around 62-64 like the Rincon, make it bulletproof like everything else, and sell a ton of them. How hard is that to comprehend?

J

james

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2013
Road Warrior said:
I would be all for buying a new Pioneer if it had a top speed of at least 60 mph. Seriously, how did they Honda even come up with the name Pioneer when they're years behind Polaris Canam, Kawasaki, etc. in the SxS market?

How about this for an idea - design a 2 & 4 seat model with a 900cc engine, 5 speed automatic transmission, and call it the "Odyssey". Give it a top speed around 62-64 like the Rincon, make it bulletproof like everything else, and sell a ton of them. How hard is that to comprehend?
I agree. I have read that utility SxS's out sell sport SxS's. If this is true then I see why they stuck with a utility. I just wished they had bumped the CC's up somewhat tho. I really think the single cylinder may be maxed out around 700cc's. Honda is going to have to switch it up to a twin and I'm sure Honda will put alot of test into that before they release it. I will be strong...
inline twin around 900cc's with 5 gears. top out around 65/70 is fast enough.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the BR sales not doing very well I'm sure Honda is afraid to release there new toys into mass production. If the Pioneer does well maybe we will see one in the next few years.

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
Top speed was important to me so I bought a rzr. Mostly side road riding and some trail riding. (Though I wanted to do more trail riding but was afraid it would break down). Anyways, I found that I dont ride much over 45 50 mph. It is nice to hit 60 65 sometimes but I am willing to sacrifice top speed for reliabilty. Sold the pos rzr and am waiting for my red 4 to come in. It has enough torque that some 27's should add a few mph and not loose much low end.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I agree that top end speed in one of these SxS's isn't the Major factor on deciding which brand or model.
Last week my brother in law rolled his yamaha SxS and was admitted to a hospital for a severe injury to his left arm. That makes 4 people in 3 accidents that I'm aware of that were hurt in roll overs. To make my point, I really don;t know many people that own these machines!
Again, this is Me, not you...or you, or you over there, just my opinion. I don't ever want to go fast in one of these machines. 20 to 30 mph is fine by me. I'm buying mine for the purpose of traveling to a deer stand dry and comfortable, and being able to haul my harvest back to camp.
If I need some high speed, I have a Dodge with over 700 HP measured on a dyno.....there's my speed fix.

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
I rolled my rzr in march and broke 4 ribs punctured lung. Pretty much almost died. I learned to wear my seat belt and realized these things are not quads and cant be ridden as hard as quads. I go to my honda superhawk for 0 to 100 rush. so bring on the 45 mph!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!