Honda Pioneer (and Big Red) power and torque

R

Rod

Nov 4, 2013
Does somebody know the Pioneer's power and torque?

Does somobody know why Honda keeps secret those specs? Other makers state them.

I think it's important to know power and torque for a vehicle, and moreover for a work machine when one need it to ride on steep muddy trails.

O

Oregondunes89

Oct 17, 2013
it's about 36hp... i'll give you link when i have time...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, Oregondunes is right on. - 36.85 HP.
Torque will have to come from a dyno as Honda will not release that info.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I don't know what the actual torque number is, but I'll bet it is very good. I can tell my Pioneer doesn't have near the HP of the Polaris 800 motors, but I'll bet the torque is right up there. Based on a month of owning and driving, the low end torque is great. I'll trade some HP any day for torque!

R

Rod

Nov 4, 2013
fishin2Dmax said:
I don't know what the actual torque number is, but I'll bet it is very good. I can tell my Pioneer doesn't have near the HP of the Polaris 800 motors, but I'll bet the torque is right up there. Based on a month of owning and driving, the low end torque is great. I'll trade some HP any day for torque!

Hi, fishin2Dmax. I asked about power and torque because the Big Red is reputed to be underpowered. The Pioneer seems to have the same engine and only 172 lbs less than the older one (Big Red = 1433 lbs and Pioneer = 1261 lbs) but I read somewhere that the Pioneer would be less powered than the BR. It's why Honda's bothering secrecymania dislikes me. :evil:

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Hi, I sent you a PM. I don't have any experience with the Big Red or know anything about them - I've never seen one in person. However, as a diesel engine enthusiast, I love torque and know it when I feel it. The Honda Pioneer motor may not have the HP of the Polaris 800, but its sure not lacking in low end torque. It's interesting to note how many people only look at Horse Power as the only determinate of POWER, when in reality, torque must also be considered. The drive train and transmission efficiency also have to factor into the power equation. What really matters is how much power (HP and torque) is actually making it to the stock wheels. Until an independent lab conducts a true (non-baised) "apples to apples" comparative dyno test between the Pioneer and Ranger, we really won't know.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All I know is what it has been able to do for 8+hours at a time. That is work hard. So far it has only been stopped once, and I unhooked it and hooked my 4x4 Tahoe and the drag stopped it as well. I have been pleased beyond measure with what it is capable of. My only complaint is the fact it is at redline at 45 when I run from place to place on road it'd be nice to cruise at 40-45 without it being redlined.

Empty it's like a mountain goat crawling up hills I was having trouble walking up, loaded I have carried a 55gal sprayer in bed and 3 adults up front up some fairly worthy hills. I couldn't do it at 45 but it was not struggling and was going as fast as I wanted to carry the load. It has plenty of power for what it is intended. It's not a speed demon but it has the power to pull trees and trailers as well as capability of transferring that power to the ground, so you can pull a tree or haul you and your friends around the trails.

I buy Honda for the same reason I buy Apple.
They just WORK, when the Zombies rise the polaris guys will be the first eaten .... while they are fixing a belt.

J

jspike91

Oct 29, 2013
NC
www.2faroffroad.com
If you want a machine that goes fast and breaks stuff. Buy a Polaris rzr 900 or 1000 or a commander maverick 1000. If you want a machine that is stone reliable, will go as many places as the others, does not have a belt trans, and is far more likely to get you back to the truck or home, buy the Honda. It says a lot that the waiting list is so long and that they are not available anywhere in the country. The demand for these is amazing, completely surprising me. I hope Honda will mate a v twin 800+ cc engine so that it will be more competitive in other areas as well. But more power usually translates to more stuff broken, morw fuel expense, higher initial cost and ultimately a higher cost of ownership.

O

Oregondunes89

Oct 17, 2013
If Honda makes a SXS with a bigger motor and at a reasonable price, I would really consider getting one. Maybe they'll mate the Vtwin Honda Shadow motor in this :)
It makes me drool thinking about it :)

advertisement
R

Rod

Nov 4, 2013
fishin2Dmax said:
Hi, I sent you a PM. I don't have any experience with the Big Red or know anything about them - I've never seen one in person. However, as a diesel engine enthusiast, I love torque and know it when I feel it. The Honda Pioneer motor may not have the HP of the Polaris 800, but its sure not lacking in low end torque. It's interesting to note how many people only look at Horse Power as the only determinate of POWER, when in reality, torque must also be considered. The drive train and transmission efficiency also have to factor into the power equation. What really matters is how much power (HP and torque) is actually making it to the stock wheels. Until an independent lab conducts a true (non-baised) "apples to apples" comparative dyno test between the Pioneer and Ranger, we really won't know.

Hi, fishin2Dmax.

Thank you for the input. I look for torque more than for power, because I have to deal with very steep clayish hills al high altitude (5500 to 9000 ft). I don't look for a RZR, for instance, but for a strong, reliable machine capable to climb those hills.

I didn't get your message. I don't see a mail box here.

R

Rod

Nov 4, 2013
jspike91 said:
If you want a machine that goes fast and breaks stuff. Buy a Polaris rzr 900 or 1000 or a commander maverick 1000. If you want a machine that is stone reliable, will go as many places as the others, does not have a belt trans, and is far more likely to get you back to the truck or home, buy the Honda. It says a lot that the waiting list is so long and that they are not available anywhere in the country. The demand for these is amazing, completely surprising me. I hope Honda will mate a v twin 800+ cc engine so that it will be more competitive in other areas as well. But more power usually translates to more stuff broken, morw fuel expense, higher initial cost and ultimately a higher cost of ownership.

Hi, jspike91.

Thank you for the input. As said above, I don't look for a toy but for a work machine as Pioneer, RTV-X900 or Gator (maybe the 825i). How much did you pay for your Pioneer? I think it's around 10k, am I right?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rod welcome to the forum, yes the Pioneer is IDEAL for that purpose.

B

bbdo

Nov 1, 2013
i have heard that people buy horsepower and drive torque. I'd say the Pioneer has more torque than HP and that is fine by me, at least.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bbdo said:
i have heard that people buy horsepower and drive torque. I'd say the Pioneer has more torque than HP and that is fine by me, at least.
Ya, I agree. And many manufactures judge HP differently to fluff there make. I want my SxS to be able to pull a train down the tracks. I do not care how fast it may can go.

M

Manly bug

Oct 7, 2013
jspike91 said:

I agree to some extent, but power and breaking stuff don't always go hand in hand. I was out in my Pioneer 700-4 today and while it's exceptionally capable, it's definitely underpowered. Going uphill in the snow I should be able to spin tires when floored under any circumstances. This thing gets to a point and it just bogs down and it has no more to give. This is unacceptable. If Honda does not come up with a power solution, this will probably be my last Honda SXS.

There should be enough power to get up any hill with with 4 average sized people on board. Today it was just me and some recovery gear (I'm 185lbs), and the vehicle got to a couple hills where it just had no more to give. Yes I'm at high altitude, but so what. The altitude was also high for my Tundra that towed it to the trail, and it will spin tires in 4 low with anything attached to it.

I like the Pioneer but the lack of power sucks.

Reactions: JWB
R

Rod

Nov 4, 2013
Manly bug said:
I agree to some extent, but power and breaking stuff don't always go hand in hand. I was out in my Pioneer 700-4 today and while it's exceptionally capable, it's definitely underpowered. Going uphill in the snow I should be able to spin tires when floored under any circumstances. This thing gets to a point and it just bogs down and it has no more to give. This is unacceptable. If Honda does not come up with a power solution, this will probably be my last Honda SXS.

There should be enough power to get up any hill with with 4 average sized people on board. Today it was just me and some recovery gear (I'm 185lbs), and the vehicle got to a couple hills where it just had no more to give. Yes I'm at high altitude, but so what. The altitude was also high for my Tundra that towed it to the trail, and it will spin tires in 4 low with anything attached to it.

Hi, Manlly bug. Your post is a really sincere and dispassionate one, not from a "fan boy", or from a dealer wanting to sell Pioneers, and you said what I needed to read. Thanks a lot.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Manly bug said:

I think you should be talking to your dealer...maybe running an oil pressure test. What you describe should not happen. Ever.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
As someone that lives and plays in higher altitudes of the Rockies, there is no question there is significant power loss as a result of (less Oxygen) high altitude in most engines. From snowmobiles, ATV's to boat motors, they all struggle in the rarefied air. My former RZR had the exact same issue when we were on high mountain trails 8500' to 10,500' or higher. Yes, more CC's would help, but the only thing I know that really helps to compensate for high altitude is a turbo. However, turbo's can create reliability issues and are very expensive. I have taken my P-4 to the top of mountains, and yes, it did lack power at the highest altitudes, but it had enough bottom end torque that it made it up anything I needed it to. For 95% of the owners that won't be riding above 9000', on a regular basis, the Pioneer power plant is just fine. For those riding at high altitude and needing a UTV for hard work and steep challenging terrain, the Polaris 900 XP or 1000 CanAm will offer more deliverable power at the higher altitudes. Then again, they cost $3000 to $4000 more (equally equipped).

I have also noticed my P 4 is getting a little more powerful as it breaks in; not by much, but it does seem to pull a little quicker than when I first got it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!