BOX1

Honda Talon 1000 i4WD rock crawling - Impossible without a locker!

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
If's and maybes sound reasoning um hum

If you are referring to the scientific method then yes I would say it’s a part of sound reason.

Reactions: JACKAL
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
until either Honda or the after-market offers a real, actual locker for the front end. I don't want any wheel spin or hop when rock crawling. .

If you dont want ANY wheel spin then with your riding style you will never notice the difference between i4wd and diff lock.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Would be nice with an option for a locker for some things. A locker would’ve never missed a beat. Most of the time it’d be great but sometimes you don’t want to lose any ground

Last edited:
J

JTW

See... they even know what true 4x4 is!!
BBBDC07A 73EF 497A 9861 602921F99349

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Oooooh are we talking about I-4wd in here!? Sounds fun,Just remember it’s pretty terrible and if you lose brakes you lose 4wd which Im not sure what brakes are I lose them so often. Make a true locker for those that aren’t scared of using it as an option on the machine, not a hard solution.

Let me break as many damn axles as I want, so I can learn to drive correctly vs letting sensor apply a brake that I probably won’t have for me.

51414bab63e9a38eb16de5b72c310fee

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was doing pretty good until I fell on hard times and had to sell my body for food. Then I started losing weight unusually fast.
Lmao! Use to be a lucrative job. People don’t pay what they use to for chair transport anymore. :(

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That depends upon if you engage in conversations with people regarding I-4WD drive being a viable alternative to a manual front locking differential. :p
I’d bet before long there will a locker. Be the best of both worlds if that happens imo. You’d have solid traction without hard feedback then you’d have full lock. I would assume it would still work fine with the i4wd because the system wouldn’t detect slip.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Would be nice with an option for a locker for some things. A locker would’ve never missed a beat. Most of the time it’d be great but sometimes you don’t want to lose any ground

This is a great video and shows the i4wd is use, does any think a stock p1000 would make that locked? I guess I’m asking does the p1000 have the power to climb that from a stand still, the advantage I see the i4wd having is wheel spin, or am I just over thinking it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I’d bet before long there will a locker. Be the best of both worlds if that happens imo. You’d have solid traction without hard feedback then you’d have full lock. I would assume it would still work fine with the i4wd because the system wouldn’t detect slip.

I wonder if anyone has called Cora at TorqueLocker to see if she already has one that fits the Talon?

WB

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is a great video and shows the i4wd is use, does any think a stock p1000 would make that locked? I guess I’m asking does the p1000 have the power to climb that from a stand still, the advantage I see the i4wd having is wheel spin, or am I just over thinking it.
Pioneer with diff would crawl up that without any issues. So would our Wolverine. 1000 has plenty of torque to do that. You can walk up a tree with one front tire from a stop barley off of idle. Wheel spin is not an advantage for overall traction. As soon as you spin you lost momentum and grip period. You can see where momentum loss and traction loss would be from that video. Better for higher speed less technical stuff though. I see positives with both systems.for what the Talon is designed for i4wd is the better way to go for the masses I do believe. Most of the time I’d be personally happy with it but I do rock crawls and muddy terrain climbing trees at slow speed a lot so I’d still prefer lock. Plus I run in 4wd most of the time, if you get stuck you can lock it and still climb out. The 1,2,3,4wd of the Pioneer is something I’ve always liked!

Last edited:
D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Pioneer with diff would crawl up that without any issues. So would our Wolverine. 1000 has plenty of torque to do that. You can walk up a tree with one front tire from a stop barley off of idle. Wheel spin is not an advantage for overall traction. As soon as you spin you lost momentum and grip period. You can see where momentum loss and traction loss would be from that video. Better for higher speed less technical stuff though. I see positives with both systems.for what the Talon is designed for i4wd is the better way to go for the masses I do believe. Most of the time I’d be personally happy with it but I do rock crawls and muddy terrain climbing trees at slow speed a lot so I’d still prefer lock. Plus I run in 4wd most of the time, if you get stuck you can lock it and still climb out. The 1,2,3,4wd of the Pioneer is something I’ve always liked!
Thanks for the reply I have never climbed a tree, lol with the p1000. I thought it would but had to ask.

Reactions: JenElio and sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you drive a pickup in this environment, you probably need a front locker.
6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d2eb5fa3970c 800wi

If you drive a pickup in this environment, you'll be fine with I-4WD.
D0e9951a7fc220523d912c76d827f4cd

Questions? :p

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
W hen I tried to drive over a small downed tree 8" dia in four wheel drive the front went right over and the rear just sat there and spun on the tree front didn't seem do do anything to help out.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!