BOX1

Honda Talon 1000 i4WD rock crawling - Impossible without a locker!

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Odd how everyone thinks a locker would have made the hill climb better when the contacting wheel was still spinning with the I4WD....

Reactions: nm6r
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Watching 3 wheels spin just to get one wheel activated is a bit unnerving.

All that shock loading has to go somewhere, and it’s not into thin air.

I think the better question is is there any doubt a locker wouldn’t have made it?

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The main issue with the I4WD is if your bouncing and/or bringing a tire off the ground. It doesn't respond fast enough and you loose momentum. I've saw quiet a few videos climbing some pretty rough spots that would have been a lot easier for the machine if it was locked. A lot of them are having to hit stuff harder because of a wheel not pulling when it touches down.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Watching 3 wheels spin just to get one wheel activated is a bit unnerving.

All that shock loading had to go somewhere, and it’s not into thin air.

I think the better question is is there any doubt a locker wouldn’t have made it?
Polaris 4wd is like that except both fronts. You’re in 2wd till it spins a little then connecting the front. Seen and heard many many guys explode parts off jumps and bumps because of it. It’s hard on things and you do have to hit stuff more aggressively.
Hondas system does seem to be a lot more forgiving on parts and it’s only one front wheel that’s in question not both.

Reactions: nm6r
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Okay I can see your point on the wheels spinning a bit to get activation. I don't see myself climbing anything more than what was in that video, but who knows?. If a simple on-all-the-time solution works for that situation, it works for me.

I have read and seen on some videos that the I4WD can get "confused" in sand and mud when both wheels are spinning a lot and bog the engine braking both sides too much. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, but a locker option would be nice.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
659818dfffc6f9d60077e89a8eea9d41
Along with the potential to have a wire rub on the front diff, hopefully the I4wd module can handle having the wheel speed sensor wires grounded out with out damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Sure does... I've had a Rincon and a Rancher since 2003.. The front ends work exactly the same except you (the human) need to apply a little front brake to make the non spinning wheel spin. Now with the inclusion of electronics, the Talon does the same job only the user input (us humans) is no longer required.... Bet we will still see those who insist on a locker of some sort, which in my humble opinion is like putting 33" BFG K2's tires on a Bicycle.
Sorry to differ but...IMHO my P5 with a torque locker is the s***s baby!!!👍😎

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
You'd trade your p5 and its glorious locker for a talon in an instance if one was foolish enough to offer. Dont even lie and act like you wouldn't.
No I would not.
I live in a 50" state, I ride in other 50" states.
Besides, Talon doesn't offer enough challenge for me.
With a Talon it's like "see that mountain, no problem".
With a P500 if you get on top of that mountain you know you accomplished something.
P500 is no cry baby millennial 'wheres my participation trophy' rig, you gotta want it.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
No I would not.
I live in a 50" state, I ride in other 50" states.
Besides, Talon doesn't offer enough challenge for me.
With a Talon it's like "see that mountain, no problem".
With a P500 if you get on top of that mountain you know you accomplished something.
P500 is no cry baby millennial 'wheres my participation trophy' rig, you gotta want it.

Haha, if you're all about the "challenge" turn that P500 in for a mountain bike.

• Haha
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!