ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You know it’s true. Honda has the best resale because people don’t sell often. Hard to find used but just like the 1000 effected the 700 this will too but across the board and hard because it’s a sport and everyone has to have one immediately. I bet used market doubles but people will take less because they need quick sale.

Why I sold my 700 as soon as the 1000 was announced I didn't get near what I had in it but well... I overbuilt. I don't think I could get near what I got for a 700 built the same way 2 days ago. Now the portion of the market for each Honda model has become smaller and the 700 models and 1000-3 just became "60 inch budget machines" and since the 1000-5 is no longer going to be the "flagship" Honda sales and resales of it are going to tank, if Honda did well with the Talon, the 1000-5 Pioneer will be relegated to side kick or guys like me who want to trail ride with family and also need a machine to use around the homestead.

The sport portion of the market seems to be where all the money is, and if Honda did well its going to pull a large portion of their Pioneer 1000 customers that way. The Pioneer 1000 allowed trail capability for a novice rider that was beyond what a hardcore rider could do in a 700. With double the travel and likely 30-40% more power in a lighter machine with lower center or mass, jumping to it from a Pioneer 1000 is going to be like going from a stock 500 to a modified 1000LE.

If it DOESN'T hurt sales of the Pioneer line by 20-30% Honda dropped the ball and is going to be a laughing stock.
If it doesn't hurt sales of the other makes by 5-10% Honda did something wrong.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Why I sold my 700 as soon as the 1000 was announced I didn't get near what I had in it but well... I overbuilt. I don't think I could get near what I got for a 700 built the same way 2 days ago. Now the portion of the market for each Honda model has become smaller and the 700 models and 1000-3 just became "60 inch budget machines" and since the 1000-5 is no longer going to be the "flagship" Honda sales and resales of it are going to tank, if Honda did well with the Talon, the 1000-5 Pioneer will be relegated to side kick or guys like me who want to trail ride with family and also need a machine to use around the homestead.

The sport portion of the market seems to be where all the money is, and if Honda did well its going to pull a large portion of their Pioneer 1000 customers that way. The Pioneer 1000 allowed trail capability for a novice rider that was beyond what a hardcore rider could do in a 700. With double the travel and likely 30-40% more power in a lighter machine with lower center or mass, jumping to it from a Pioneer 1000 is going to be like going from a stock 500 to a modified 1000LE.

If it DOESN'T hurt sales of the Pioneer line by 20-30% Honda dropped the ball and is going to be a laughing stock.
If it doesn't hurt sales of the other makes by 5-10% Honda did something wrong.
Well if it’s only 93hp it’s not going to steal too much from other makes. That’s 30+ hp down from it’s closest competition plus more money. Probably have more suspension which is good. We will see how this plays out but the whole Pioneer line took a massive hit today.

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You know it’s true. Honda has the best resale because people don’t sell often. Hard to find used but just like the 1000 effected the 700 this will too but across the board and hard because it’s a sport and everyone has to have one immediately. I bet used market doubles but people will take less because they need quick sale.

I think you're getting a little carried away. I don't see a lot of 500 and 700 owners selling fast. That's like saying everyone with a Ford ranger was gonna sell the day the Ford Raptor came out. Its 2 different worlds. Hell from the looks of it the P500 will haul more s*** on the back than that talon will.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe to a degree you’re right but most people ride by themselves without family involvement so having two Sxs’s doesn’t really make sense, probably a few the old lady would put down the hammer too. I think to justify buying a new unit many will sell off what they have.
I’m like you though I will be adding a Sport to the stable when time is right. Could get a Sport much quicker if we sold off the Wolverine but I’m not doing that to my daughter for my own wants. My family is first. Plus I figure I’ll let any issues clear out and maybe by then hype has cooled to get a good deal if we decided on Talon.

Riding by oneself negates the need for a SxS IMHO. That is the quad or dirt bike realm. Maybe I'm the only oddball that goes and gets the proper wrench/socket instead of the crescent wrench though. Granted if you can only have one in the garage (space or funds) and you want to be able to do both then it makes sense. If 80%+ of my riding was solo though, I wouldn't spend the extra premium on a SxS. Maybe I'm just too practical. We do own a minivan after all. lol

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Riding by oneself negates the need for a SxS IMHO. That is the quad or dirt bike realm. Maybe I'm the only oddball that goes and gets the proper wrench/socket instead of the crescent wrench though. Granted if you can only have one in the garage (space or funds) and you want to be able to do both then it makes sense. If 80%+ of my riding was solo though, I wouldn't spend the extra premium on a SxS. Maybe I'm just too practical. We do own a minivan after all. lol

You're forgetting whats behind you. I can do way more work in my P1k than I could ever do with the biggest utility forwheeler out there. Go hunting, haul deer, wood, coolers, whatever I can fit. I got so sick of strapping everything down to the atv just to go hunting. It was that or drive one handed trying not to loose all your s***. Now I just throw my bag in the back and roll.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think you're getting a little carried away. I don't see a lot of 500 and 700 owners selling fast. That's like saying everyone with a Ford ranger was gonna sell the day the Ford Raptor came out. Its 2 different worlds. Hell from the looks of it the P500 will haul more s*** on the back than that talon will.
Hold on I didn’t say a whole bunch. What I am saying is it’ll double the used market. My area is a little less thick with sxs but let’s put it this way. When we wrecked the Pioneer the ins comp had to search outside of 500 miles to find comparable model. If popo there’d be 100 in that range. So if just a couple people sell one in this area that’s huge. Used Honda’s aren’t very common. I bet it will at least double the used market, that in turn lowers value. I’ll bet my numbers are pretty accurate by the time a couple get sold and shown on the forum.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
The individuals that have exceeded the limits of the current Pioneer or wanted a sportier machine in the first place (most likley went with honda to avoid belts and repairs) will be the ones swapping to the the Talon. Yes there will be a a little more availability on the used market and prices may suffer a little, but they are still fit different needs. I think it was a little different with P700 to P1000, they are very similar machine, just upgraded in a lot of areas.

Woohoo, post 101 for me!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Well I’m guessing the 5 seat just lost 10% resale and 3 seat 20% overnight. Probably same with 700 and 500 at 10%. There will be a few used really opted machines very reasonable. Buyers market coming up.
Hell, I havent been able to sell my 3 seater now. Thank a lot for the good newso_O

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hold on I didn’t say a whole bunch. What I am saying is it’ll double the used market. My area is a little less thick with sxs but let’s put it this way. When we wrecked the Pioneer the ins comp had to search outside of 500 miles to find comparable model. If popo there’d be 100 in that range. So if just a couple people sell one in this area that’s huge. Used Honda’s aren’t very common. I bet it will at least double the used market, that in turn lowers value. I’ll bet my numbers are pretty accurate by the time a couple get sold and shown on the forum.

I agree: a nearly non existent used market doubles... But only for a year or so. I don't think you see prices long term drop off too much. The Pioneer does a good job of serving multiple roles for us. I can honestly say that if given the choice between the Pioneer and the Talon, I'd stick with the Pioneer. It's quick enough to trail ride when we go 2-3 times a year, but it's still useful around the farm. I had an XP 1000 during deer season last year and it wasn't worth a darn for loading up a buck, or feeding. It's a purpose built machine, but only for a single purpose. The Talon looks like a better quality, DCT version of the XP 1000. It is easier, for us at least, to justify 16k for a machine that's good at everything instead of great at one thing.

That being said if I won the Powerball I'd buy 2 red 1000R models January 1 :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree: a nearly non existent used market doubles... But only for a year or so. I don't think you see prices long term drop off too much. The Pioneer does a good job of serving multiple roles for us. I can honestly say that if given the choice between the Pioneer and the Talon, I'd stick with the Pioneer. It's quick enough to trail ride when we go 2-3 times a year, but it's still useful around the farm. I had an XP 1000 during deer season last year and it wasn't worth a darn for loading up a buck, or feeding. It's a purpose built machine, but only for a single purpose. The Talon looks like a better quality, DCT version of the XP 1000. It is easier, for us at least, to justify 16k for a machine that's good at everything instead of great at one thing.

That being said if I won the Powerball I'd buy 2 red 1000R models January 1 :)
If I only had one rig it would be Pioneer 10005. I’m not getting rid of that rig to save my life, it took us three to get this one. But I have a family and enjoy them riding along. Plus we camp in the woods not on cement at a campground with a store that has ice and firewood so we need a capable machine for that. Most people aren’t like that. It’s obvious as hell to anyone paying attention the numbers difference that sport machines are selling. Grab a cooler and go for a day ride with friends that have like machines or head back to campground after for fuel and rest.
Now with that said I want a sport but I’m not willing to leave my family at home to get one, so the Pioneer stays.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I foresee the talon being the equivalent jump as from the 700 to 1000. It will be a much more capable trail machine than a p1k but still nothing like a turbo or x3 machine. Honda has never been one to let loose and I bet they dont start today. Best to manage your expectations early.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hell, I havent been able to sell my 3 seater now. Thank a lot for the good newso_O
I had mine on Craigslist for a while and 1 call. The 3 seater doesn't hold value at all unless lucky like @Cuoutdoors. Take off all your accessories and most importantly the snorkel if you want to increase value. ( might leave the roof) I gave up and just traded it in. I'm sure values will vary by region.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I foresee the talon being the equivalent jump as from the 700 to 1000. It will be a much more capable trail machine than a p1k but still nothing like a turbo or x3 machine. Honda has never been one to let loose and I bet they dont start today. Best to manage your expectations early.

In my mind suspension travel being double and weight will play a lot into the performance gap. You also won’t have a big enough bed for 500lbs of trail supplies.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had mine on Craigslist for a while and 1 call. The 3 seater doesn't hold value at all unless lucky like @Cuoutdoors. Take off all your accessories and most importantly the snorkel if you want to increase value. ( might leave the roof) I gave up and just traded it in. I'm sure values will vary by region.
I was damm lucky. I found the one guy that wanted exactly what I had.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!