H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Marty had been riding the desert all his life. It was a freak accident where it may have turned over on the drivers side. I think the cage failed. His wife Nancy was wearing a lap belt. One of his motocross friends talked about the accident in the video. I did some testing with Marty and the motocross team. I was at the 125cc twin test. It had lots of power but was hard to ride with the road race type of power. We did a Honda motocross commercial that paid good for 6 months. Here is a picture his friend posted a few minutes before the accident. His friends weren't hurt. San Diego was home for several motocross riders and 3 of the Team Honda Trials riders. There is a good video in Cycle news. It really does suck when you miss out on your retirement. Three of my Team Honda riders and one mechanic have died young.

Video: Remembering Marty and Nancy Smith - Cycle News

MartySmith

J

JTW

@JTW are you going to let him get away with talking smack about the KRX like that?
He wasn’t talking smack... it’s true. When you take 20k rigs and beat 100k rigs it’s the driver and a damn good stock machine. But the reality is... it shouldn't beat them.

And besides I know what his next machine will be.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That f***ing retard couldn't out drive my mom in a grocery store parking lot. Put somebody in the car that actually knows what they're doing. I'm no Ricky Carmichael but I whipped a lot of spoiled rich kids with my stock honda dirt bikes. Experience can overcome a significant sum of money. Evidence: KRX guy whipping hondas ass.

I feel bad for the people that have to work with those little snot nose punks.
Watching those vids that is what I was thinking ......... nothing but PUNK.

Reactions: CID and 1HasBeen
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Marty and his wife Nancy were killed on April 27th 2020 at the imperial sand dunes (aka Glamis or Butter Cup) they were not wearing their harness when their sand car flipped on a razor back, and the other 2 occupants were their best friends and were wearing their harness and were unhurt (that should be a lesson to all of us) Marty Smith was my child hood Hero so much so that i fashioned myself after him during my Motocross racing years in the 70"s and early 80"s, scored his autograph in 78 or 79 at the Carlsbad GP.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He wasn’t talking smack... it’s true. When you take 20k rigs and beat 100k rigs it’s the driver and a damn good stock machine. But the reality is... it shouldn't beat them.

And besides I know what his next machine will be.
It truly shows how good the suspension on the KRX is straight out of the factory.Also the guys that call them heavy pigs,pay attn!It take a well built machine to survive desert racing.

Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
J

JTW

It truly shows how good the suspension on the KRX is straight out of the factory.Also the guys that call them heavy pigs,pay attn!It take a well built machine to survive desert racing.
Yup... that’s the whole point. There are improvements that can be made as with any machine. There are things that could have made it even better. But for a stock rig... it’s DAMN GOOD!!

Reactions: Mudwing
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Yup... that’s the whole point. There are improvements that can be made as with any machine. There are things that could have made it even better. But for a stock rig... it’s DAMN GOOD!!

Let me explain the KRX in language you can understand JTW
The KRX is a big boned, wide hipped, homely gal that is good in the sack and gives killer BJ's.

The Honda is a lean beautiful hot chick with no experience.

The Honda has the best motor and the best transmission you can buy a better suspension / (teach your hot Chick more skills) but no amount of plastic surgery can make a big boned gal a lean hot chick.

Your KRX is a FAT PIG with a belt and that cannot be fixed!!! LOL

J

JTW

The KRX is a big boned, wide hipped, homely gal that is good in the sack and gives killer BJ's.

The Honda has the best motor and the best transmission you can buy a better suspension / (teach your hot Chick more skills) but no amount of plastic surgery can make a big boned gal a lean hot chick.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda picked the wrong team to throw their money at. There are several teams running Talons that are not fully factory sponsored like those idiots, yet doing quite well. Unlike those idiots...

Jamie Campbell of Raceco has been kicking ass in his 2 seat Talon R in the desert series he races in Cali. He is also building a self sponsored 4 seat Talon to race in the Baja 1000. My bet is that he spanks "Team Honda". Also check out the Talon parts he is coming out with. IMO he is making the best aftermarket suspension stuff for the Talon at the moment.

Hans Ada races a Talon R in the Lucas Oil Offroad Racing Series. He does quite well in a semi stock machine vs the fully built machines other competitors run, and its only his first season with the Talon.

Sean Hess races his R in the short course series at Texplex. His car is consistently in the top 3 and has been very competitive against the other more established teams in the N/A Pro Class.

There are a few more independent teams building Talons for the 2021 King of Hammers race. Im excited to find out how they are going to do vs the big money Honda Factory Team. Should be interesting to watch.

And for those wondering about what it takes to make the chassis competitive for racing purposes; Lots of time and lots of $$$$...

20200705 195227
20200705 195309

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I hope Honda will have money for the highest placing Talon like Yamaha does with $5,000 at the Hammers race. Raceco-usa and other shops should sell a lot of aftermarket parts. Just checked the Honda web site and the Talon is listed. Don't know what they pay for wins or placing high. The Yamaha YXZ has done well in the track racing and qualified 1st and 2nd for the Hammers race a few years ago.

Contingency Plan - Honda Powersports

Reactions: TripleB and CID
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5

BlaBla Bla talk is cheap put ur money w ur mouth ,stock KRX out performing raced prep Talon.The geometry is way wrong w a talon.You sound like a liberal!It May have the most efficient motor and trans.but if u can’t figure out the geometry who gives a s***.Take a serious look at what shock Therapy says about a tolon compared to a KRX.When Kawasaki decides witch way to go as far as boosting the intake,turbo versus blower.It will be a game changer.The average consumer should compare stock to stock.The reason KRXs are heavy is because how over built they are.When you move the rear trailing arm as far forward as the KRX is,you can install serious travel to the rear suspension.And install serious coilover struts.As far as the belt goes the Kawasaki CVT is way different than a Polaris of a Cam Am.Get serious,Buy machines off the showroom and go desert Racing.Post back

!

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks a little better with the body panels on it. :)

View attachment 220943View attachment 220944
It looks a little better with the body panels on it. :)

View attachment 220943View attachment 220944
The rear trailing arm is too short,it should pivot about in the middle of the seat.You want the rear wheel thrust to push forward more than up.They should pay attn to trophy truck suspension.Otherwise u get the bucking that Talons are becoming famous for.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The rear trailing arm is too short,it should pivot about in the middle of the seat.You want the rear wheel thrust to push forward more than up.They should pay attn to trophy truck suspension.Otherwise u get the bucking that Talons are becoming famous for.
Sound behind Honda Corp. clomp, clomp, clomp, clomp, better take a rest!

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll be the first to b**** about KRXs on the forested trails.They are very inefficient.But when u turn them loose to run the desert for a Natural asperated machine,pay attention!Put them against all non boosted machines running point to point.Let me know what happens

H

HondaTech

Honda picked the wrong team to throw their money at. There are several teams running Talons that are not fully factory sponsored like those idiots, yet doing quite well. Unlike those idiots...

Jamie Campbell of Raceco has been kicking ass in his 2 seat Talon R in the desert series he races in Cali. He is also building a self sponsored 4 seat Talon to race in the Baja 1000. My bet is that he spanks "Team Honda". Also check out the Talon parts he is coming out with. IMO he is making the best aftermarket suspension stuff for the Talon at the moment.

Hans Ada races a Talon R in the Lucas Oil Offroad Racing Series. He does quite well in a semi stock machine vs the fully built machines other competitors run, and its only his first season with the Talon.

Sean Hess races his R in the short course series at Texplex. His car is consistently in the top 3 and has been very competitive against the other more established teams in the N/A Pro Class.

There are a few more independent teams building Talons for the 2021 King of Hammers race. Im excited to find out how they are going to do vs the big money Honda Factory Team. Should be interesting to watch.

And for those wondering about what it takes to make the chassis competitive for racing purposes; Lots of time and lots of $$$$...

View attachment 220941View attachment 220942

My GM has been in touch with the RaceCo guys, Hess and others. He's serious about putting the Talon on the box sooner rather than later. He was on point this last weekend to win his class and a top 10 overall before he ripped the outer tie rod mount out of the spindle and blew the same side axle into a million pieces trying to pass the class leader (his cage builder in a YXZ).

We've looked into aftermarket spindles.
RaceCo has fabricated sets for $3200
JSport has billet aluminum sets for $8995😱

Hess will tell you when they bring the Talon back to the shop their working on making it better and faster instead of rebuilding the entire suspension and parts that break. Trust me there are some major players doing some major things with the platform and its going to show soon. Hopefully it trickles down to everday riders to improve on this machines faults.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!