Honda Talon Racing

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My GM has been in touch with the RaceCo guys, Hess and others. He's serious about putting the Talon on the box sooner rather than later. He was on point this last weekend to win his class and a top 10 overall before he ripped the outer tie rod mount out of the spindle and blew the same side axle into a million pieces trying to pass the class leader (his cage builder in a YXZ).

We've looked into aftermarket spindles.
RaceCo has fabricated sets for $3200
JSport has billet aluminum sets for $8995😱

Hess will tell you when they bring the Talon back to the shop their working on making it better and faster instead of rebuilding the entire suspension and parts that break. Trust me there are some major players doing some major things with the platform and its going to show soon. Hopefully it trickles down to everday riders to improve on this machines faults.
Look at all that money to keep up w a stock KRX .Straight line 400 miles balls to the wall.come out west and witness what I have seen for 60 years

Reactions: JTW
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I will say, the KRX guy had a photo of his 3/8" UHMW skid from after the race. There wasen't hardly anything left of it. It was ground down paper thin and all jagged. Its gotta be pretty freaking rough to do that in 550 miles.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lee was referring to the 2 young kids Honda hired as their drivers. Think the kids are more worried about instagram and ticktok than racing.
All right.Sometimes I forget I’m participating in a Honda forum.I can not say one bad word about my pioneer.Howevever if u wanna run balls to the wall,suspension wise out of the box,Krx I the desert point to point ,No competition

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lee was referring to the 2 young kids Honda hired as their drivers. Think the kids are more worried about instagram and ticktok than racing.
All right.Sometimes I forget I’m participating in a Honda forum.I can not say one bad word about my pioneer.Howevever if u wanna run balls to the wall,suspension wise out of the box,Krx I the desert point to point ,No competition
I will say, the KRX guy had a photo of his 3/8" UHMW skid from after the race. There wasen't hardly anything left of it. It was ground down paper thin and all jagged. Its gotta be pretty freaking rough to do that in 550 miles.
yep ur correct.He finished in a basically stock machine!Balls to the wall 550 miles,longer than the Daytona 500 on pavement.Think about it.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
My GM has been in touch with the RaceCo guys, Hess and others. He's serious about putting the Talon on the box sooner rather than later. He was on point this last weekend to win his class and a top 10 overall before he ripped the outer tie rod mount out of the spindle and blew the same side axle into a million pieces trying to pass the class leader (his cage builder in a YXZ).

Hess will tell you when they bring the Talon back to the shop their working on making it better and faster instead of rebuilding the entire suspension and parts that break. Trust me there are some major players doing some major things with the platform and its going to show soon. Hopefully it trickles down to everday riders to improve on this machines faults.
My aftermarket spindles were 2800 but came with portals attached.

Not really for desert racing.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I know,I have no respect for spoiled s***s.......!However.?u need a machine that propels foward.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The rear trailing arm is too short,it should pivot about in the middle of the seat.You want the rear wheel thrust to push forward more than up.They should pay attn to trophy truck suspension.Otherwise u get the bucking that Talons are becoming famous for.

If you lower the ride height of the Talon and set it up like a short course Pro 2/4 truck where they run a low ride height and alot of suspension droop, the issue you are talking about isn't an issue at all. I'm not running my junk in the desert, its built for short course racing on a groomed track, so a monster truck ride height and bad suspension angles will not be a problem. Look up Hans Ada on FB as an example of a Talon that I think is set up correctly for what im doing.

This is about where mine will be at ride height. Front is an inch or so low but gives you a good idea of what im talking about...
20200730 224615
20200730 224532

Ground to skid plate in the rear is 9" in these pictures.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My aftermarket spindles were 2800 but came with portals attached.

Not really for desert racing.
I saw the Talon team had the billet spindles. Didn't know they were almost $10k lol. Racin aint cheap... RB3 has been doing there racks. Said OEM wasn't lasting 50 miles.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If you lower the ride height of the Talon and set it up like a short course Pro 2/4 truck where they run a low ride height and alot of suspension droop, the issue you are talking about isn't an issue at all. I'm not running my junk in the desert, its built for short course racing on a groomed track, so a monster truck ride height and bad suspension angles will not be a problem. Look up Hans Ada on FB as an example of a Talon that I think is set up correctly for what im doing.

This is about where mine will be at ride height. Front is an inch or so low but gives you a good idea of what im talking about...
View attachment 221069View attachment 221070

Ground to skid plate in the rear is 9" in these pictures.
Need Hess Head and Cam package. Front sway bar?

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I know,I have no respect for spoiled s***s.......!However.?u need a machine that propels foward.
Have any of u been paying attention to Robby Gordon s new sxs.?You wanna talk about a big machine.However Gordon is a true desert racer.We will see how this goes.Honda needs to pay attention to their geometry.For a non boosted machine,they have the Best and most effective drivetrain in my opinion. Id like to have Honda engine and trans in my krx.but that isn’t going to happen.Going to pay attention to Speed sxs,

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I saw the Talon team had the billet spindles. Didn't know they were almost $10k lol. Racin aint cheap... RB3 has been doing there racks. Said OEM wasn't lasting 50 miles.
Good to know.

I wonder if a sandcast stabilizer would solve that.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Have any of u been paying attention to Robby Gordon s new sxs.?You wanna talk about a big machine.However Gordon is a true desert racer.We will see how this goes.Honda needs to pay attention to their geometry.For a non boosted machine,they have the Best and most effective drivetrain in my opinion. Id like to have Honda engine and trans in my krx.but that isn’t going to happen.Going to pay attention to Speed sxs,
Yes... 3 speed tranny is awesome. Low, High and Cruise.

Reactions: JTW
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

I'm local to Hess and have talked to Glen and Sean at length about their short course car. Seeing it in person, its amazingly stock for as fast as it is. Factory spindles, A-arms, radius rods ect and they run up front at every race with basically suspension tuning and minor motor work. Yes the Talon has flaws that have to be worked around to be competitive, but in my opinion not as many as the others in its class have. Pretty much anything with a belt is just dumb. Hahaha

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Jamie at Raceco yesterday. It hurt the wallet, but he is an amazing craftsman and puts alot of thought into the products he brings to market for the Talons. I enquired about his front double shear knuckles and rear fabricated trailing arms while I was talking to him. I'll be going with that setup if/when I start breaking front or rear knuckles. Seems like the most bulletproof solution for racing.

Reactions: GPR1500SC and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Need Hess Head and Cam package. Front sway bar?

I already have the rear sway bar. Plan is to pick up the head/cam/piston package once its back together and my wallet has a chance to catch back up. Wanna sponsor me? 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: snuffnwhisky
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm local to Hess and have talked to Glen and Sean at length about their short course car. Seeing it in person, its amazingly stock for as fast as it is. Factory spindles, A-arms, radius rods ect and they run up front at every race with basically suspension tuning and minor motor work. Yes the Talon has flaws that have to be worked around to be competitive, but in my opinion not as many as the others in its class have. Pretty much anything with a belt is just dumb. Hahaha

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Jamie at Raceco yesterday. It hurt the wallet, but he is an amazing craftsman and puts alot of thought into the products he brings to market for the Talons. I enquired about his front double shear knuckles and rear fabricated trailing arms while I was talking to him. I'll be going with that setup if/when I start breaking front or rear knuckles. Seems like the most bulletproof solution for racing.
A big thing I noticed on Sean's car was the body roll / 2 wheeling it compared to the YXZ. It was an earlier video but definitely needed addressing. The roll center of the Talon seems to be kinda bad but maybe some big ride height and swaybar mods will fix it.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
A big thing I noticed on Sean's car was the body roll / 2 wheeling it compared to the YXZ. It was an earlier video but definitely needed addressing. The roll center of the Talon seems to be kinda bad but maybe some big ride height and swaybar mods will fix it.

Hans Ada's car does the 2 wheel thing also but his suspension is set up low and stiff so it handles well with minimal body roll in the turns.. Sean is a BIG boy. I think that might play into his body roll issues some. 🤣

Download 1

What is this FRONT sway bar you speak of? Did i miss something?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Hans Ada's car does the 2 wheel thing also but his suspension is set up low and stiff so it handles well with minimal body roll in the turns.. Sean is a BIG boy. I think that might play into his body roll issues some. 🤣

View attachment 221077

What is this FRONT sway bar you speak of? Did i miss something?
Pretty sure ive saw front bars. Easy fix though in the Dirt track world. Can send links and pics if needed. Custom setup on my YXZ was easy.

Reactions: CID
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wtf u saying? Stock machine against each other.vegas to Reno.Who u playing with?boys?
What he is saying is the boys (literally) that Team Honda brought on are rich kids that are more experienced at being Instagram models than desert racers.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!