P1000 Honda winch install with aux battery

Fdxjettech

Fdxjettech

Oct 21, 2021
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my winch and install kit in. The instructions look like they are for a single battery install. I have the second battery I plan hook it to. Will I have to modify the harness or anything to
Do that? Thanks.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Shouldn't need to modify anything, just make the connections from the winch contactor to the aux battery. Do be sure that all connections are secure, ends insulated, and wires won't chafe, as winches are one of those few things (along with the starter motor) that are not usually separately fused. I suggest adding a True battery isolator before you get too far along. :)

Oh, and if you want to add a wireless receiver to operate the winch, they are inexpensive (about $20). A good idea to power that receiver with a on-off switch on the panel, that way radio interference won't trigger the receiver and potentially cause damage.

Fdxjettech

Fdxjettech

Oct 21, 2021
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Shouldn't need to modify anything, just make the connections from the winch contactor to the aux battery. Do be sure that all connections are secure, ends insulated, and wires won't chafe, as winches are one of those few things (along with the starter motor) that are not usually separately fused. I suggest adding a True battery isolator before you get too far along. :)

Oh, and if you want to add a wireless receiver to operate the winch, they are inexpensive (about $20). A good idea to power that receiver with a on-off switch on the panel, that way radio interference won't trigger the receiver and potentially cause damage.
Already got the true dual system set up and running. I like the idea of the wireless receiver. Ill have to check into that. I'm off Thursday and the temp isn't supposed to go above 30. itll be a good day to fire up the portable radiator in the garage and give this a shot. thanks fo rthe help

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Oh, and if you want to add a wireless receiver to operate the winch, they are inexpensive (about $20).
While I love my Badland ZXR5000 winch from HF, they want $60 for the damn wireless remote for it. That's roughly 1/3 what I paid for the winch (not including the synthetic rope I bought from SATV and swapped out with the steel cable it came with).

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While I love my Badland ZXR5000 winch from HF, they want $60 for the damn wireless remote for it. That's roughly 1/3 what I paid for the winch (not including the synthetic rope I bought from SATV and swapped out with the steel cable it came with).

Scoop, here's the one I'm using on the Warn 4,500 lb winch that came on my SE. I've used the keychain remote at full line length away from the sxs, no problem. winch wireless remote

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's the one that came with my winch. It's handy at times but has a slow reaction time. Just plan ahead. I put a regular switch in the dash and a hidden power switch in the glovebox so the munchkins don't rip my fingers off!!!
Quadboss Winch Replacement Wireless Remote

Reactions: Lady01 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Scoop, here's the one I'm using on the Warn 4,500 lb winch that came on my SE. I've used the keychain remote at full line length away from the sxs, no problem. winch wireless remote
Thanks, @bumperm. The HF one has a receiver that is plug & play and a nice gun style remote, but this one looks like the ticket to saving $40.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, and the one I quoted above has an instant reaction time, just like pushing a ward wired switch - very convenient. But again, there is that caution about running an additional switch to apply power to the receiver to avoid any risk of inadvertent activation - I haven't experienced that, but of course I leave the power off to the receiver until needed.

Winch switch is the small round rocker to right and adjacent to temp display on lower row.

20211221 215040

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

That's exactly the two that I have for my front and rear winches on my P1. Also the same one that I use on my Talon. The ones on my P one I've had for about 4 years and they work great

338fedman

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2022
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh, and the one I quoted above has an instant reaction time, just like pushing a ward wired switch - very convenient. But again, there is that caution about running an additional switch to apply power to the receiver to avoid any risk of inadvertent activation - I haven't experienced that, but of course I leave the power off to the receiver until needed.

Winch switch is the small round rocker to right and adjacent to temp display on lower row.

View attachment 314271
Where did you get the temp guauge? How easy is that to wire up?

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very easy to wire, needs only ground and key on power. It draws so little current, you can "steal" key on power from your rocker switch lighting circuit or voltmeter etc.

Note if you are replacing the OEM voltmeter that came on my '21 SE, the dash opening will need to be enlarged for it to fit there, but it will fit there! Here's the link:

Temp Gauge

338fedman

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2022
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very easy to wire, needs only ground and key on power. It draws so little current, you can "steal" key on power from your rocker switch lighting circuit or voltmeter etc.

Note if you are replacing the OEM voltmeter that came on my '21 SE, the dash opening will need to be enlarged for it to fit there, but it will fit there! Here's the link:

Temp Gauge
Oh, its an ambient temp gauge. I was thinking this was an engine temp gauge. thanks for sharing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!