P500 hondacare extended warranty

W

Workingman

May 28, 2017
Belleville il
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a used 500 sxs fella said it only ran one tank of gas through it it was like brand new. I noticed soon after buying it their was a like tingling noises from rear of engine maybe muffler never thought much about it. Anyways it started smoking blue smoke once warmed up . I took it in dealership said it needs a new motor factory rep had to look at it first . Factory rep cked it out said dust damage or dirt damage from maybe loose air box is what dealer said they said . Dealer said it won't be covered under the extended warranty which I transferred as soon as I bought it about a year ago. Machine has around 650 miles on it rep from Honda said it wasn't serviced correctly or some bs reason not to cover expense. So its gonna cost 2400 called Honda customer said it is what it is. this is a drag..

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought a used 500 sxs fella said it only ran one tank of gas through it it was like brand new. I noticed soon after buying it their was a like tingling noises from rear of engine maybe muffler never thought much about it. Anyways it started smoking blue smoke once warmed up . I took it in dealership said it needs a new motor factory rep had to look at it first . Factory rep cked it out said dust damage or dirt damage from maybe loose air box is what dealer said they said . Dealer said it won't be covered under the extended warranty which I transferred as soon as I bought it about a year ago. Machine has around 650 miles on it rep from Honda said it wasn't serviced correctly or some bs reason not to cover expense. So its gonna cost 2400 called Honda customer said it is what it is. this is a drag..
Should have some other repair options, like independent shops. If it sucked a lot of dust I could see an over sized piston, rings, bearings and a bore job, maybe some valve work.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What I gather from the story is that little P5 had about 100 miles on it when you bought it...due for first service. Sounds like it didn't get it?Now the machine has 650 miles on it, atleast a couple yrs old and no one has ever opened the air box or probably serviced anything. That does suck and I'm sorry to hear that but chalk it up as a lesson learned the hard way. Takes about a minute to get to the air filter. :rolleyes:

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What I gather from the story is that little P5 had about 100 miles on it when you bought it...due for first service. Sounds like it didn't get it?Now the machine has 650 miles on it, atleast a couple yrs old and no one has ever opened the air box or probably serviced anything. That does suck and I'm sorry to hear that but chalk it up as a lesson learned the hard way. Takes about a minute to get to the air filter. :rolleyes:
Yea! Bummer! This is a single cylinder engine and I could see this getting repaired for a whole lot less than $ 2,400.00

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yea! Bummer! This is a single cylinder engine and I could see this getting repaired for a whole lot less than $ 2,400.00
Two years old and one tank of gas? Wonder if you have a ring stuck? I would try some Marvel Mistrl oil. Take the spark plug cap and air filter lose, crank it while spraying oil in the intake and let it set a couple days.

Reactions: Mudwing
W

Workingman

May 28, 2017
Belleville il
Ownership

1. 500
Two years old and one tank of gas? Wonder if you have a ring stuck? I would try some Marvel Mistrl oil. Take the spark plug cap and air filter lose, crank it while spraying oil in the intake and let it set a couple days.
well dealer said fella I bought it from did have the 100 mile service done whatever that involves . I changed the oil once it is do for its 600 mile service or somewhere close to that dealer said it was do about 50 miles ago. Just seems odd that you can buy a damn new machine heck I could of ate off it and 600 miles later it needs a engine . Honda rep said piston is bad and its loose on crank shaft I can't believe it won't be covered hell all I do is put around on my fathers farm . Kids have rode out some but not that hard. What the heck is the extended warranty good for if it won't cover repairs ? Just ticks me off something bad...

Reactions: Fordman and trigger
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
well dealer said fella I bought it from did have the 100 mile service done whatever that involves . I changed the oil once it is do for its 600 mile service or somewhere close to that dealer said it was do about 50 miles ago. Just seems odd that you can buy a damn new machine heck I could of ate off it and 600 miles later it needs a engine . Honda rep said piston is bad and its loose on crank shaft I can't believe it won't be covered hell all I do is put around on my fathers farm . Kids have rode out some but not that hard. What the heck is the extended warranty good for if it won't cover repairs ? Just ticks me off something bad...
That's why I didn't buy the extended warranty! Games!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree Smitty335, nothing to lose at this point.

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Triggers slappin chops these days, must be loosing patience in your old age. :D:D But you are right.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just bought a new rig, came in to pick it up yesterday, was looking over the numbers. I asked what this $1,300.00 was and they said ext warranty. So I said take it off.

Reactions: Mudwing and trigger
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I know right? Am I turning into that guy? :rolleyes:
What did you buy? o_O
A 1000-5, to leave at my NM property. The 700 isn’t doin it for me.

Reactions: trigger
XterraGoat

XterraGoat

Mar 4, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

Word of advice... Raise enough hell with the honda customer line and point out you have extended warranty... They'll take care of it.

However, strictly speaking, dust in the intake is NOT a warranty issue unless something was incorrectly installed from the factory.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
$2,400 for a new motor seems like an incredible bargain to me. I can't imagine that includes labour. It takes about 12-14 hours just to remove the motor. I didn't know you could get a 'motor in a box' for the P5. In Canada you can not get a motor... you have to buy all the parts separately. Hard to imagine dust hurting these tough little machines. Sounds like a no-oil situation.

Reactions: Gassygordo
B

Bbarker

Jul 19, 2018
East kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just went through kinda same thing,1000-3,what sounded like valves chattering turned into complete engine failure.extended warranty did cover but no one could get it back together right.NO HELP from Honda,reps are a joke.after seven months dealership replaced with a new one picking it up today!

Reactions: trigger
B

Bbarker

Jul 19, 2018
East kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Word of advice... Raise enough hell with the honda customer line and point out you have extended warranty... They'll take care of it.

However, strictly speaking, dust in the intake is NOT a warranty issue unless something was incorrectly installed from the factory.
no Honda won't help,the answer you get is extended warranty is a third party nothing to us sorry

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to hear about this, a guy I work with had a P700 about 2 months & changed the air filter to a UNI or K&N (can’t recall) dusted the engine & Honda blames it on the air filter! They told him it must be a factory style Oiled filter ! I Dunno , now he says he’ll never buy a Honda again I told him they all have issues, just thought I’d share with you

Reactions: Bbarker
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Use of equivalent aftermarket products, service, should not void warranty, Magnuson- Moss law. Just have to prove equivalent.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!