cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Cool it thermal barrier is approx. 1/16" thick. the "factory insulation" is the black 1" thick square of insulation that the factory already has on the back panel. I removed it to install the thermal barrier, then I used contact cement to attach it in the same location. I figured the more the merrier.

Reactions: dotman1
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My material is 5/16" thick. Works really well. I make these for the 1000 and starting next month for the 700. I sell them for 26.00 shipped. I have good reviews on them. Also have on on my 1000

Image Image

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got mine yesterday, fits perfect, and looks like it will do the trick!
Thank you sir.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
The hottest spot on mine was the plastic between the seat top and bottom so I attacked that first.
Pictures of what I did below. After a long ride today, my wife said it was much cooler. The surface was still 98 degrees at the end of the day but the temp on the insulation behind it was 136. So i figure I got close to a 35 degree improvement. I forgot to measure the temp before the project.

There's still heat coming into the cab - mostly convection not hot air. Thru the bottom seat and behind the legs. But todays ride was a lot more enjoyable than last weekend.
The problem is - that heat is released there by the header and has no where to go. I need to move where the heat is released and/or move the hot air. I think Bayouownbeer's idea may a place in my future to.

Materials: Dynamat 3/4 inch hoodliner, Thermotech Heat Barrier, Black Gorilla Tape
IMG 2711IMG 2712
IMG 2715

After the first test drive I felt some warm air coming from behind the back seat. Some 3/8 closed cell rubber tape stopped that.
IMG 2718

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I added material behind the seat as well as under, helps in the front but the back seat passengers are cooking and my adult son thought when the weather warms up it will burn your legs ridding in the back seats. Grrrrr
Are you talking about the plastic that would be in front of the rear passenger's legs?
That piece was 135 degrees today after a long ride.

Paulswa1

Paulswa1

Feb 18, 2016
Strawberry AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All good solutions. I installed foil backed insulation on the back of the plastic panel between the lower and upper seat. I then wrapped the exhaust pipes with cloth exhaust wrap and then I cut a piece of carpet and put it on the area between the lower and upper seat on the outside after cutting slits for the seat belts. I am waiting to install a bilge fan in the engine compartment. After installing these items, the heat has been reduced about 80% and is not even noticeable. Honda needs to do something similar as the heat on an unmodifed pioneer is unbearable. Honda should install foil backed insulation on the seats and all the plastic panels, install some type of covering on the exterior of all exposed plastic in the cockpit and porcelain coat the exhaust system all the way back to the muffler. Vents that open and close on the side of the Unit would help to evacuate the heat coming into the cockpit from the radiator. I'll update the post after I install the engine compartment vent fan.

Last edited:
bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As part of my attempt to cut down on the heat i cut out a piece of stainless steal and bolted it to the side of the motor over the header. Still gets warn on seat but not near as bad. You can also see i let the insulation run long up the back. Then i just put it all back together with it under the plastic part as well. Cant see any of it.

IMG 20160519 2031213351

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
Purchased 12sq ft of heat shield. This is the first area of concern. I'm going to see how much covering this plastic section helps before covering the rest of the underside of the seats.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Paulswa1

Paulswa1

Feb 18, 2016
Strawberry AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks great. I ripped the foam out and went with the foil backed insulation across the whole length of the panel.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
That looks great. I ripped the foam out and went with the foil backed insulation across the whole length of the panel.
Yup - heat gun helps getting that foam off.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did the same, plus I used 3 m spray adhesive to glue the foam back as well.

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
Paulswa1, have you noticed a difference? I'm thinking this should help along with a few other small sections.

cinjolangman

cinjolangman

May 29, 2017
Glenville. West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat is bad, I did under the seat and behind seat with foil sided maerial and helped in front but people in the back were cooking. Honda has a problem, weather has not warmed up yet. Grrrr

Pioneer 1000 5 seater- the seat gets so hot that we have received skin burns from it. Grandchild can't even ride because of the heat and burning What can we do.
This is definitely a design flaw and safety hazard .

Reactions: ofrcboy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!