P500 How do you test the cooling fan

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Is there a way to force the cooling fan to come on, to test if it is working? I have never seen my cooling fan on, however I don't look that often. Is there If not how long would I need to let it idle on a 90 degree day for the cooling fan to come on? How many bars before the cooling fan starts, my P500 always warms up to 2 bars then stays there.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Is there a way to force the cooling fan to come on, to test if it is working?

Yes, by purchasing the fan over-ride switch from the Honda SxS Club Store on here. I bought one specially so I would know if mine worked every time before I took it out. I ride the Mojave desert a LOT.

Mbradley42

Mbradley42

Aug 22, 2020
Waynesville NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Is there a way to force the cooling fan to come on, to test if it is working? I have never seen my cooling fan on, however I don't look that often. Is there If not how long would I need to let it idle on a 90 degree day for the cooling fan to come on? How many bars before the cooling fan starts, my P500 always warms up to 2 bars then stays there.
If I let mine idle for more than 5 minutes or so the fan cycles on and runs for a half a minute I'd say then cuts off. Hope it helps

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'd say. Just let it idle. Then once warm, give it some throttle until you hit 3 bars.
Shouldnt take long for it to come on with no air flow.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the info, I will be getting the manual override switch for some piece of mind on long trips.

H

HondaTech

Unplug the coolant temp sensor and turn the key on. The system will default to fan on all the time. This will test everything but the sensor itself.

The CEL will go off when you plug it back in and cycle the key.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unplug the coolant temp sensor and turn the key on. The system will default to fan on all the time. This will test everything but the sensor itself.

Excellent protip there!

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500

Your saying fan will stay on if senor fails? So is there a need for a fan override switch?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Your saying fan will stay on if senor fails? So is there a need for a fan override switch?
Yes. Since the ecm (aka- "the computer") has no ideal of what the engine temp is without the sensor, so it assumes the worst case scenario and keeps the fan on all the time.

There is never a real "need" for a fan overide switch. It's a band aid for problems elsewhere. The 1000 guys (prior to this year) used them because the 1000 had a marginal cooling system. Yeah, I said it. The 500/700 have never needed them unless something else is wrong.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!