BOX1

How low is to low on the voltmeter

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I have a p5 with stock battery and am running a winch, 4 small LED spot lights, a light bar and a 12v car charger. When the sxs is running I'm between 12-14v. As I start turning lights on and using the winch it fluctuates down As low as 10 I think. Is this ok?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Short term yes but repeated doing this kills the battery. You should really keep the constant draw under. 450 watts(700-4 assuming it's the same size on the 500), around 37-38 amps at @12v as that is the alternators max output. But you need to consider the draw of the ecu and coil.

A winch will drain a small battery QUICK

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I don't think it's same battery as 700.. As long as the machine is running, I should b fine? If I wanna put a stereo in I should look to a bigger or joint battery?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 264
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure about 2015, 2014 700 has a 12ahr battery.

The charging system is what I was referring to not the battery. The 500 alternator is the same output, 450 watts. You draw more than that, it draws from the battery.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Got ya.. And I went for a night ride tonight. Had all the lights on (no winch use) and my meter was at 13... I must have saw the meter wrong at 10

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sxsnewbie said:
Got ya.. And I went for a night ride tonight. Had all the lights on (no winch use) and my meter was at 13... I must have saw the meter wrong at 10

Yeah using my winch it's around 10 even with the bigger battery. Difference is with the factory battery I have to stop for a few seconds to let it catch up because the winch slows down, with the bigger battery I can use it until I get out.

Also let's me run my radio for as long as I want.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
ohanacreek said:
Sxsnewbie said:

Yeah using my winch it's around 10 even with the bigger battery. Difference is with the factory battery I have to stop for a few seconds to let it catch up because the winch slows down, with the bigger battery I can use it until I get out.

what size battery did you install?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Springer said:
ohanacreek said:
Sxsnewbie said:

what size battery did you install?

Optima Group 34....55ahr

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!