Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't use my hunting guns most of the year, but they don't cost ~$15,000. :D

On top of that, if I don't use them, they can just sit in the safe and nothing happens. If I don't use the SXS, it still needs the oil changed, the battery will die, the gas will go bad and mice will build nests in it.

That being said, I understand your point but I am actually looking at getting rid of a bunch of my guns that I never use and that have no sentimental vale for me because they are tying up resources for no reason.

If you're still unsure, I recommend waiting. Try riding with someone on a day trip. Look into a used 700 or 500 so that the investment isn't so much. Borrow one for a day (That would have to be a really good friend).

The last thing you want is to have all the fun sucked out of your ownership because of buyers remorse.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a lot of things tying up resources that I don't need/use, the question that is important is are those resources needed for something else that is more important? Money just sitting in the bank is no different than an asset that isn't getting used. Obviously we all should have some money in the bank but you get the point.

I don't know that it is "needed" for anything else. I could invest it and retire earlier and by that time we will have personal anti-gravity UTVs.;)

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know that it is "needed" for anything else. I could invest it and retire earlier and by that time we will have personal anti-gravity UTVs.;)
And right after you retire, you may get sick and die. I've seen it more than one time. I don't need to say it again, but we all know life is short. Buy it, if you don't like it, then sell it.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The one thing about SXS's is that they don't hold their value like other investments. With constant changes and updateds by powersport companies, even the P1000's will be outdated in two years, maybe even less.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wouldn't say that here. People ask just about as much for a couple year old, clapped out, unmaintained piece of $hi%! And they are not willing to deal. You're better off buying new. Besides, we all know toys are not good investment tools.

Reactions: Stauvo
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
And right after you retire, you may get sick and die. I've seen it more than one time. I don't need to say it again, but we all know life is short. Buy it, if you don't like it, then sell it.

That is what happened to my Dad. That is why I am trying to retire before 60 so maybe I will have a few more years.

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
Since I was recently stymied on my attempt to buy a Wolverine a lot of the buying fever and purchase excitement has dwindled. I started examining in detail my reasons for getting a SXS. Now I am wondering exactly how much I will actually use it and if there is a good price/value ratio here. My current 2007 Rincon only as 400 miles on it. Now according to my wife, there were extenuating circumstances over the last 3 or 4 years and that is why it didn't get used much. I had a ruptured disc about 4 years ago that prevented me from doing much of anything for a while, then 3 years ago my brother wound up getting incarcerated, 2 years ago my Mother passed away so I was taking care of my brother's house and my Mother's house myself (an hour and a half away from where I live now) and being estate executor and my brother's power of atty. Then the first of this year my wife's father Father got sick and passed away in May.

My wife thinks that things should get better now and we will have more time to do stuff. Which I hope is true since, we haven't gone on a vacation since 2006. Of course, after saying this, she admitted that she has only been home a single weekend since her Father got sick and her Mother lives 2.5 hours away from us...

So I am now wondering if I should even get a SXS at all or just take that money and put it towards something else that I will get much more use out of. While I could get some use out of it around my house, taking it trail riding would be much more of its usage and to do that, I would have to trailer it. Of course, I have already bought a nice SXS sized trailer which my wife pointed out to me. But I told her that I would rather be out the difference on the trailer ($1,100 my cost - what I could sell it for) versus paying $12,000 - $15,000 for something we don't really use.

With that back ground information, how much do you use your Side X Side and what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Just my opinion......there isn't any reason to rush. You have the 2007 Rincon which is like new, it is there to use and isn't costing you a thing. If things settle down and you find yourself with more free time for and begin to ride more then re-evaluate the situation. I just don't think there is any need to rush. At any rate, good luck!!!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You didn't mention cash or finance? That's important to know. For me, I would have never spent cash on it. Financing is what made it not a $20,000 decision but a $300 a month decision.

Seeing as how I spend that much, plus some on cigarettes a month it was a no brainier.

So think $300 a month value and that should help you.

Seldom does a day go by I'm not using it but it's hard to ask others as I use it for work and hauling on 30 acres.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRAGFOOT
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just read through this thread and here's what I think.

1. @Crow_Hunter , you ARE your dad! I never seen so much hmming and hawing!

2. What's the point of retiring early if you don't even have a sxs to ride?

3. A sxs is NOT a financial investment, it's an investment in FUN (with great returns!)

4. Riding a sxs with your wife is 100 times better than riding atv's together (if you like each other, sounds like you do!)

No one lays on their death bed and happily thinks about how practical they've been all their life! I say go for it!

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just read through this thread and here's what I think.

1. @Crow_Hunter , you ARE your dad! I never seen so much hmming and hawing!

2. What's the point of retiring early if you don't even have a sxs to ride?

3. A sxs is NOT a financial investment, it's an investment in FUN (with great returns!)

4. Riding a sxs with your wife is 100 times better than riding atv's together (if you like each other, sounds like you do!)

No one lays on their death bed and happily thinks about how practical they've been all their life! I say go for it!
Tflynn just summed up the whole thread!

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
IMG 4838 This has been a great thread. I've never had much money and I don't need it. You can't put a price on memories. We've put around 4000 miles on the 700 and 425 on the 500. All the money in the world couldn't replace the smiles and giggles we've had. When I'm on my death bed I just want to know I made someone smile one day. ;)

I've seen it on this site and it is very true. YOLO

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The money part for us? We used a 0 interest credit card check with 1 year to pay off. Working out good so far. Our Credit Union had lousy rates. We are almost the last in our big family of Polaris's to get a sxs. I never wanted one especially a big long one for extra passengers. I totally love riding my Foreman on the trail rides but my little guy is now taller than me and my hips cannot take sitting for hours on a ATV any longer. Now we have to new little ones in the family and that alone completely justifies our P1-5. On Thursday at our camp it was raining and I needed to clean the fish cleaning house so it was nice to have the roof and flip down the rear seats to haul 200 plus pounds of frozen fish cleanings up to the dumpster. Then just hose out the back to clean. It's so nice to sit and talk to the wife and passengers when cruising down the trail and my son now loves his independence on the Foreman.:)

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I'm not saying you should buy a sxs but you gotta do something.
We got a sxs and it opened a door to an area of recreation that we didnt know we wanted. For you it might be a sxs or might be something different.
This guy says it better than I can
23f11c8f56c24be991fed36d0f1683ac 2

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You didn't mention cash or finance? That's important to know. For me, I would have never spent cash on it. Financing is what made it not a $20,000 decision but a $300 a month decision.

Seeing as how I spend that much, plus some on cigarettes a month it was a no brainier.

So think $300 a month value and that should help you.

Seldom does a day go by I'm not using it but it's hard to ask others as I use it for work and hauling on 30 acres.

I would be paying cash, actually I hopefully will be paying via my reward credit card if I can and earning a whole mess of points. :)

I don't borrow money for things that depreciate unless I can get arbitrage. So this is a decision of do I get ~$15,000 worth of "value" out of this versus investing in my taxable brokerage account.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would be paying cash, actually I hopefully will be paying via my reward credit card if I can and earning a whole mess of points. :)

I don't borrow money for things that depreciate unless I can get arbitrage. So this is a decision of do I get ~$15,000 worth of "value" out of this versus investing in my taxable brokerage account.

There can certainly be happiness achieved from both paths you mention. Each carries it's own merit of value and depending what kind of investor/trader you are you can enjoy both quickly.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I have a different method of accounting myself. And yes I'm aware that it goes totally against mainstream thinking. But it's served me very well and has allowed me to retire at age 50.

Won't get into detail because that's not what this thread is about, but always but always go for keeping bulk money and don't sweat the little things like interest rates and such.

In other words finance it :) That said, this is not the type item you're going to be able to attach a "value" to. You know and I know nobody really needs one of these.

You need to put this into the category of going out to eat, seeing a movie, or going to Disney World. The value of such things is "fun" and it's a write off to fun.

Finance it and enjoy it! Never look back like you would a fine meal that disappeared...but you'll still have this UTV meal to eat over and over again :)

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never knew I needed my pioneer, but I'm kind of an impulsive guy, I saw mine and loaded on a trailer 2 hours later.( Had to go back and get the trailer) my wife never even knew about atv'ing before me. Now it is something my while family has grown to love and enjoy. Especially my 2 year old that climbs in the "fo fo" every time I open the garage door. Screw the investment. Get the machine, sell the excess weaponry to pay for a week long trip to an atv park. Taxable whatchacallit accounts are words too big for folks like me, and it doesn't sound very fun. I do understand dust mud beer and smiles though. Good luck sir, I'd hate to have to think every decision out that much.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

We put most everything that will take a card on a reward cards then pay it off at the end of the month, cars and large purchases that we can't pay off in 30 days are bought with equity lines on the house so the interest is a tax deduction.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We put most everything that will take a card on a reward cards then pay it off at the end of the month, cars and large purchases that we can't pay off in 30 days are bought with equity lines on the house so the interest is a tax deduction.

If done right, all interest can be a tax deduction :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!