How much do you use it?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Since I was recently stymied on my attempt to buy a Wolverine a lot of the buying fever and purchase excitement has dwindled. I started examining in detail my reasons for getting a SXS. Now I am wondering exactly how much I will actually use it and if there is a good price/value ratio here. My current 2007 Rincon only as 400 miles on it. Now according to my wife, there were extenuating circumstances over the last 3 or 4 years and that is why it didn't get used much. I had a ruptured disc about 4 years ago that prevented me from doing much of anything for a while, then 3 years ago my brother wound up getting incarcerated, 2 years ago my Mother passed away so I was taking care of my brother's house and my Mother's house myself (an hour and a half away from where I live now) and being estate executor and my brother's power of atty. Then the first of this year my wife's father Father got sick and passed away in May.

My wife thinks that things should get better now and we will have more time to do stuff. Which I hope is true since, we haven't gone on a vacation since 2006. Of course, after saying this, she admitted that she has only been home a single weekend since her Father got sick and her Mother lives 2.5 hours away from us...

So I am now wondering if I should even get a SXS at all or just take that money and put it towards something else that I will get much more use out of. While I could get some use out of it around my house, taking it trail riding would be much more of its usage and to do that, I would have to trailer it. Of course, I have already bought a nice SXS sized trailer which my wife pointed out to me. But I told her that I would rather be out the difference on the trailer ($1,100 my cost - what I could sell it for) versus paying $12,000 - $15,000 for something we don't really use.

With that back ground information, how much do you use your Side X Side and what would you do if you were in my shoes?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like things are starting to calm down for y'all. I believe that 75% of getting a sxs depends on how much land you have or have close access to( leave the house ride come back home in one day). I ride mine every morning with my 8month old in my lap ( and have since she was about 4months old, can't start too early) I also use it for work and showing people around my property, getting the mail etc. The remaining 25% is going to offroad parks, hare scrambles, rock bouncer events etc. and that is my favorite part of having a sxs and makes it worth every penny!

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im kinda on the fence concerning your wisdom here. Yes how much you'd use it should be factored in when making a purchase but I also think it's worth the money just having it in the shop for whenever I do get the chance to use it (did that even make sense?). Normally I sneak in a trail ride once a week. The trail is roughly 20mins from my house and rides last around 4-6 hours. Other than that, I really don't get the chance to use it much around the house. Maybe run the horses some water or feed once a week (NO I don't feed or water my stock once a week, I just use the sxs to do it once a week. So you PETA people kiss my butt!) Lol.
So using your logic, guess I can't justify the expense of buying one. But I'm very pleased with my purchase and have no problem at all transferring payment money once a month lol.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Since I was recently stymied on my attempt to buy a Wolverine a lot of the buying fever and purchase excitement has dwindled. I started examining in detail my reasons for getting a SXS. Now I am wondering exactly how much I will actually use it and if there is a good price/value ratio here. My current 2007 Rincon only as 400 miles on it. Now according to my wife, there were extenuating circumstances over the last 3 or 4 years and that is why it didn't get used much. I had a ruptured disc about 4 years ago that prevented me from doing much of anything for a while, then 3 years ago my brother wound up getting incarcerated, 2 years ago my Mother passed away so I was taking care of my brother's house and my Mother's house myself (an hour and a half away from where I live now) and being estate executor and my brother's power of atty. Then the first of this year my wife's father Father got sick and passed away in May.

My wife thinks that things should get better now and we will have more time to do stuff. Which I hope is true since, we haven't gone on a vacation since 2006. Of course, after saying this, she admitted that she has only been home a single weekend since her Father got sick and her Mother lives 2.5 hours away from us...

So I am now wondering if I should even get a SXS at all or just take that money and put it towards something else that I will get much more use out of. While I could get some use out of it around my house, taking it trail riding would be much more of its usage and to do that, I would have to trailer it. Of course, I have already bought a nice SXS sized trailer which my wife pointed out to me. But I told her that I would rather be out the difference on the trailer ($1,100 my cost - what I could sell it for) versus paying $12,000 - $15,000 for something we don't really use.

With that back ground information, how much do you use your Side X Side and what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Sounds like you already know, that you won't get as much use out it, compared to whatever else you were thinking of. Go with your gut.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I too heavily analyzed and deliberated prior to this purchase. I knew I needed at least (4) seats (which was the initial catalyst for the change), and what I currently had did not fit that description. However, when wrapping my mind around the difference - visions of bass boats, truck upgrades, carport off my shop, etc. started dancing in my head. I had developed self-induced analysis paralysis. I then minimized, mentally, my need and tried to justify why the 700-4 would make more sense financially to leave the cash reserves alone. In the end, as you know, I pulled the trigger on the 1000-5 and cut the check. My personal reasons, being different than yours, included knowing every day I would get the joy of being able to haul all 3 of my kids around the yard and down the county road every day after school. They scream when they see the Pioneer and run to it begging for a ride. I consider myself lucky in that regard. If the shop door is left open, my 18 month old boy won't be satisfied until daddy takes him for a ride. To answer your questions regarding usage, I use mine daily as weather permits - even if only for a 10 minute "hide, hide" (ride) as my 18 month old boy screams. I also trail ride a good bit on the farm and on the trails up here, and it gets hauled south every 2 weeks when we go visit my old man and ride the trails down there as well. To me it's simple - If you aren't going to use it much, and it doesn't fit your need, don't buy it. Allocate your resources elsewhere so that enjoyment of your hard earned cash flow gets put to full use by you and those you love. If my hobby was smoking meat more than I do - and it's what brought joy to the faces of my kids and wife, I'd probably have a bad-to-the-bone outdoor set up for that rather than a Pioneer 1000-5 for us to enjoy daily. However (condolences for your losses and understand your battles), after burying my best friend, grandad, grandmom, mom, and daughter in the last four years, I probably have more of an in the moment mindset than most and probably already have an early-onset midlife crisis swaying my decisions! Whatever you do, get out and enjoy this vapor we call life - come and gone like the dew on a leaf.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds like things are starting to calm down for y'all. I believe that 75% of getting a sxs depends on how much land you have or have close access to( leave the house ride come back home in one day). I ride mine every morning with my 8month old in my lap ( and have since she was about 4months old, can't start too early) I also use it for work and showing people around my property, getting the mail etc. The remaining 25% is going to offroad parks, hare scrambles, rock bouncer events etc. and that is my favorite part of having a sxs and makes it worth every penny!

Directly around my house, I only have about 1.5 acres that is mine and I do use my ATV to occasionally round up horses for a neighbor and I use it when it snows since we are one of the last people to have our road plowed.

I do own a small 70 acre farm back where I grew up and I jointly own 40 acres with my brother (just woods) and I can ride on cousins and neighbors property back home as well. I used to take my ATV to my Mom's house and then ride it across several neighbors field roads to my farm and there is a pretty nice woods trail system there that I share with a buddy from school that owns adjoining property. This property is only about an hour and a half from my house now. Bikini Bottoms OHV Park is only about 5-6 miles from my house but I don't have a way to get there without having to trailer it or potentially get pulled over for driving on the road. I have been to Turkey Bay and back in one day, I have been to Sugar Creek in Drummonds and back in one day easy plus I only live about 10 miles or so from the Mississippi river and there is an extensive trail system that people ride on down there.

I have plenty of places that I could ride, but I just don't know that I WILL ride.

Of course, my wife is now a little perturbed that I have sold her Recon. But then I asked her when the last time was that she rode it, which she just looked at me without responding. (Probably because she can't remember and I have been the one keeping the battery charged and the oil changed in it).

Still need to think about it some more I guess.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I too heavily analyzed and deliberated prior to this purchase. I knew I needed at least (4) seats (which was the initial catalyst for the change), and what I currently had did not fit that description. However, when wrapping my mind around the difference - visions of bass boats, truck upgrades, carport off my shop, etc. started dancing in my head. I had developed self-induced analysis paralysis. I then minimized, mentally, my need and tried to justify why the 700-4 would make more sense financially to leave the cash reserves alone. In the end, as you know, I pulled the trigger on the 1000-5 and cut the check. My personal reasons, being different than yours, included knowing every day I would get the joy of being able to haul all 3 of my kids around the yard and down the county road every day after school. They scream when they see the Pioneer and run to it begging for a ride. I consider myself lucky in that regard. If the shop door is left open, my 18 month old boy won't be satisfied until daddy takes him for a ride. To answer your questions regarding usage, I use mine daily as weather permits - even if only for a 10 minute "hide, hide" (ride) as my 18 month old boy screams. I also trail ride a good bit on the farm and on the trails up here, and it gets hauled south every 2 weeks when we go visit my old man and ride the trails down there as well. To me it's simple - If you aren't going to use it much, and it doesn't fit your need, don't buy it. Allocate your resources elsewhere so that enjoyment of your hard earned cash flow gets put to full use by you and those you love. If my hobby was smoking meat more than I do - and it's what brought joy to the faces of my kids and wife, I'd probably have a bad-to-the-bone outdoor set up for that rather than a Pioneer 1000-5 for us to enjoy daily. However (condolences for your losses and understand your battles), after burying my best friend, grandad, grandmom, mom, and daughter in the last four years, I probably have more of an in the moment mindset than most and probably already have an early-onset midlife crisis swaying my decisions! Whatever you do, get out and enjoy this vapor we call life - come and gone like the dew on a leaf.

Thanks for that. My condolences for your losses as well. It is very hard and an eye opening experience.

I really don't have any other hobbies other than shooting guns and playing video games or spending time with me wife. There aren't any guns that I really want (thinking about selling quite a few) and I have video games that are still in the package that I haven't opened because I don't have time to play them. I spend as much time with my wife as I can but it currently revolves around helping her Mom.

So I would probably just save this money if I don't spend it on a SXS. My brother says that "I can't take it with me" and to "not be like Dad". My father would never buy anything that he really wanted without hemming and hawing about it for months on end to the point that it was usually gone before he decided to buy it and he died at 62 right after he retired.

I just can't get by that nagging feeling of "wasting" resources on something that has very little utility or value. (It doesn't help matters that I do value analysis every day at my job.)

A lot to think about.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for that. My condolences for your losses as well. It is very hard and an eye opening experience.

I really don't have any other hobbies other than shooting guns and playing video games or spending time with me wife. There aren't any guns that I really want (thinking about selling quite a few) and I have video games that are still in the package that I haven't opened because I don't have time to play them. I spend as much time with my wife as I can but it currently revolves around helping her Mom.

So I would probably just save this money if I don't spend it on a SXS. My brother says that "I can't take it with me" and to "not be like Dad". My father would never buy anything that he really wanted without hemming and hawing about it for months on end to the point that it was usually gone before he decided to buy it and he died at 62 right after he retired.

I just can't get by that nagging feeling of "wasting" resources on something that has very little utility or value. (It doesn't help matters that I do value analysis every day at my job.)

A lot to think about.
No doubt.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I went round and round for about 6 months before I pulled the trigger and I'll probably use mine the least out of all of you. I bought a new Rincon back in 2009 and sold it 18 months later with about 150 miles on it. Had to have it, and it was nice for deer hunting and towing a yard trailer around, but that's all I used it for. I don't use mine every day, but the days I don't I usually putz around with it in the garage or something. I live on the edge of town on a city lot and don't have any property of my own to speak of. I can drive about 4 miles and hit a network of dirt roads that I can cruise around on and my wife loves going to do that so its nice that we have something else we like to do together. I will use it around the yard and for deer hunting as well. There are a few trail systems I may check out that are within a couple hours of me, but that's going to be tough as well because we have our first child coming this fall. I am fortunate to have a seasonal trailer house in extreme northern MN for fishing that I brought my SXS with me to this spring and enjoyed running around on all of the minimum maitainence roads on the days it was too windy to be on Lake of the Woods. There is a pretty big trail network up there as well that I should check out. With the kid on the way, it was a stretch on if I should have even purchased it or not, but I have it now and being a Honda, I expect it to last forever, especially with the amount of miles I put on it. But it sucks making the payment. My wife and I have almost 300 miles on it now and we've had it for 2 months. We have snowmobiles and that has been a big part of our recreational activities and I don't expect that to change. So that means the SXS will have to go into storage in the months that the sleds are home,(right after deer hunting till April or so) as I don't have room for them both in the garage and I hate leaving things outside! For the money, none of them really make sense for most of us I'm guessing, but toys usually don't. I hope to end up being like that old guy who has an old big red three wheeler in the shed that's still mint that he bought brand new and I figure by the time its said and done, the cost per year of me having that thing will be minimal. You only live once, if you want it and can afford it, buy it....that's what we go to work for right?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Directly around my house, I only have about 1.5 acres that is mine and I do use my ATV to occasionally round up horses for a neighbor and I use it when it snows since we are one of the last people to have our road plowed.

I do own a small 70 acre farm back where I grew up and I jointly own 40 acres with my brother (just woods) and I can ride on cousins and neighbors property back home as well. I used to take my ATV to my Mom's house and then ride it across several neighbors field roads to my farm and there is a pretty nice woods trail system there that I share with a buddy from school that owns adjoining property. This property is only about an hour and a half from my house now. Bikini Bottoms OHV Park is only about 5-6 miles from my house but I don't have a way to get there without having to trailer it or potentially get pulled over for driving on the road. I have been to Turkey Bay and back in one day, I have been to Sugar Creek in Drummonds and back in one day easy plus I only live about 10 miles or so from the Mississippi river and there is an extensive trail system that people ride on down there.

I have plenty of places that I could ride, but I just don't know that I WILL ride.

Of course, my wife is now a little perturbed that I have sold her Recon. But then I asked her when the last time was that she rode it, which she just looked at me without responding. (Probably because she can't remember and I have been the one keeping the battery charged and the oil changed in it).

Still need to think about it some more I guess.
It's kind of hard to compare an atv to a sxs. The sxs to me is more comfortable, you can talk to each other easier, carry gear and cooler, more people etc. they both are fun a will get you out into the woods.

advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sold my RZR because of this very reason. It was great to take trail riding, but realistically I only trailered it out to the trails once a month. On the other hand, I used it all the time for hunting purposes but it really wasn't meant for that. So I got the pioneer. So, I may not use it as much as I would like for the fun stuff, but I do use it much more than the rzr because I can haul 5 people, perform hunting tasks, pull a trailer, haul equipment, etc. that my RZR could not do.

If you are just going to use the rig for recreational trail riding maybe 10 times a year, it would be hard for me to justify owning one.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it boils down to the individual preference. Me personally I don't judge purchases solely on how much I'll use it. I can't count the tools I own that have never been used or only used once. Tranny jack used once, chopsaw used once, strut spring compressor used once, etc. My thinking is i have it in case I might need it lol. Like my never been used tailpipe expander. As much as I fool with cars, bikes, and such...sooner or later I'm gonna need that puppy.

Reactions: DRAGFOOT and sharp
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was ready to buy in February. Looking at the investment, having 2 4 wheelers and only using 1 for hunting and going on maybe 1 family ride a year, and having other things to pay for I delayed. Now I'm waiting for the news on the 2017 models, but I'll have one this year. I'll mainly use it for hunting with my kids. Having 2 kids to take nearly all the time, they won't fit on a 4 wheeler together. While I won't use it much for riding, and depending on weather maybe not getting to hunt much, but it will sure make my life much easier doing what my kids love. This is what life's all about. Spending time with my kids and wife is what it's all about. We all work hard enough, enjoy your time off.

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I only use my hunting rifle 2 months out of the year.
I only use my SCUBA gear about twice a year.

If you try to justify toys you won't have any.
You dont justify toys by need
...Its Want.....so if you dont have it...keep your Rincon.....I bought mine cause the want was irresistable...I didnt realize the need till after I had it home and got used to what I could use it for.Now I couldnt be without it.My wife,Kids,and dog would disown me if I parted with it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You won't ride it if your sitting on the couch! With that many places to ride that close and you like the sport of atving, you'll love the sxs. A world of difference from an atv. Plus it will get you out of a slump and get you going on the important things in life. Family and being outdoors. Plus you will meet new friends and go more than you probably imagined.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I only use my hunting rifle 2 months out of the year.
I only use my SCUBA gear about twice a year.

If you try to justify toys you won't have any.

I don't use my hunting guns most of the year, but they don't cost ~$15,000. :D

On top of that, if I don't use them, they can just sit in the safe and nothing happens. If I don't use the SXS, it still needs the oil changed, the battery will die, the gas will go bad and mice will build nests in it.

That being said, I understand your point but I am actually looking at getting rid of a bunch of my guns that I never use and that have no sentimental vale for me because they are tying up resources for no reason.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't use my hunting guns most of the year, but they don't cost ~$15,000. :D

On top of that, if I don't use them, they can just sit in the safe and nothing happens. If I don't use the SXS, it still needs the oil changed, the battery will die, the gas will go bad and mice will build nests in it.

That being said, I understand your point but I am actually looking at getting rid of a bunch of my guns that I never use and that have no sentimental vale for me because they are tying up resources for no reason.

I have a lot of things tying up resources that I don't need/use, the question that is important is are those resources needed for something else that is more important? Money just sitting in the bank is no different than an asset that isn't getting used. Obviously we all should have some money in the bank but you get the point.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!