P500 How Much Weight Have You Hung on Your P5?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
As I've been adding items to the Critter (TM, patent pending ;) ) I've been keeping a loose tally of the costs (ouch) but not the weight additions; they are considerable.

Roof, windshield, tires, Moose hitch, Strongmade front bumper, winch, rear storage, rear bumper, any loose gear (recovery, cooler etc). On the other hand, I did remove the netting, ha.

Curious if anyone has kept a running total of their added weight. Probably seventeen threads on it, knowing you guys! Any original question on here should win a prize. The dedication and helpfulness here is impressive, especially considering a relatively small population. Extremely responsive.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As I've been adding items to the Critter (TM, patent pending ;) ) I've been keeping a loose tally of the costs (ouch) but not the weight additions; they are considerable.

Roof, windshield, tires, Moose hitch, Strongmade front bumper, winch, rear storage, rear bumper, any loose gear (recovery, cooler etc). On the other hand, I did remove the netting, ha.

Curious if anyone has kept a running total of their added weight. Probably seventeen threads on it, knowing you guys! Any original question on here should win a prize. The dedication and helpfulness here is impressive, especially considering a relatively small population. Extremely responsive.
The things I added since I got the shocks are second battery, small one, light bar, rear bumper, whips and back up lights, I went light on every thing so I believe my shocks/ springs are still good. I haven't added weight to the top, except for the back up lights. I don't run wheel spacers and don't want a top heavy buggy, we ride in the off camber tight woods.

Reactions: Isaiah
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Really?! A lot!

Jed Clampett

Seriously though, have always wondered how heavy my machine is now? I'm betting pretty damn heavy! Curious as to the current COG too? Have seen posts where some guys are so concerned they were pondering the offset weight of a box, lol! :rolleyes:
P5's being geared so low, will always turn the wheels, even with all the weight I'm carrying. Accelerating speed in 3rd or higher is where it's really noticed. That's where the Dobeck made the most difference, it'll pull harder through 3rd and 4th. Might help in 5th too but she takes her time getting to the limiter.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'm not that concerned about it, just thought it would make for fun conversation right about now, lol! Figured some of ya's had been keeping up with it. I don't intend to add mine up.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The things I added since I got the shocks are second battery, small one, light bar, rear bumper, whips and back up lights, I went light on every thing so I believe my shocks/ springs are still good. I haven't added weight to the top, except for the back up lights. I don't run wheel spacers and don't want a top heavy buggy, we ride in the off camber tight woods.
And none of it on a P5.......🙄

Reactions: trigger and Isaiah
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Some one needs to step up and explain to @Smitty335 the meaning of Honda Pioneer 500 forum.

Something to consider @futzin the P500 is no light weight to start with.
It's a tick over 1000 lb off the show room floor.
Then you fill the lower frame rail up with mud....
(I bet the lower frame rail molds more mud than the gas tank holds gas)

I have not calculated the weight nor put mine on a scale.
But I have not really got too far along on my build.
I did however switch to a synthetic winch line to save a little.
It was not on my original list due to cost and probably on a dollar per pound basis I would be better off drinking less beer.
But that didn't happen either.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Smitty wakes up in a different world every morning, just gotta get to know him....🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Some one needs to step up and explain to @Smitty335 the meaning of Honda Pioneer 500 forum.

Something to consider @futzin the P500 is no light weight to start with.
It's a tick over 1000 lb off the show room floor.
Then you fill the lower frame rail up with mud....
(I bet the lower frame rail molds more mud than the gas tank holds gas)

I have not calculated the weight nor put mine on a scale.
But I have not really got too far along on my build.
I did however switch to a synthetic winch line to save a little.
It was not on my original list due to cost and probably on a dollar per pound basis I would be better off drinking less beer.
But that didn't happen either.
HA! What I was saying weight up high on any thing is bad other than a women!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Full Aluminum Skids, Strongmade bumper and winch, Moose hitch, Power steering, roof, tools and a a 100+lb dump bed full of logs. No problem. Plus me. Pull a 2800 lb. trailer (hauling 275 gallon water tote and fire pump/hose). Its a tank.
Be nice to @Smitty335 as he needs to visit the better forum once and a while.

3CF5E0F2 2FEC 40E4 A992 B43128B7DEBC 60C1BD14 525E 493D B2A7 3BDD32EAD243 A9529F32 76EB 40A5 924A 68615E840354

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I had the opportunity to weigh my P5 at a local sawmill just outside the National Forest with all the mods I’ve added with my wife and I in it and we were at 1,900 lbs. I didn’t think to weigh without the two of us in it, and could do the math and post it, but that would be against my self interest.....

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had the opportunity to weigh my P5 at a local sawmill just outside the National Forest with all the mods I’ve added with my wife and I in it and we were at 1,900 lbs. I didn’t think to weigh without the two of us in it, and could do the math and post it, but that would be against my self interest.....
I have been threatened by her, can't imagine full fruition, it would be ugly!o_O

Reactions: futzin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I live in Smitty world, no change there, getting to know me???????????😜
Gotcha, that’s what I figured, but had to be sure ya ole skallywag....🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!