P500 P5 Nerfs Install w/ SSS Skids (Help)

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Having trouble (of course :rolleyes:) with the install of P5 nerfs. They are not intended to pair with other skids than Hondas, but here I am.

I have the SSS skids, which I really like. @trigger, I know you went through a similar situation in your install.

Two attachment points are the issue. The forward mounting plate (flat) of the nerf can probably be sandwiched between the frame and the skid. The rearward plate (not flat), per Honda, requires their skid plate to be cut/notched around it.

Since this attachment point occurs at a join of two pieces of skid, I really don't want to cut them.

What do y'all think of cutting off the rolled edges of the plate bracket, effectively making it flat? I would then also sandwich it like the other. I would not have to cut all the way back to the nerf bar.

Pics, such as they are, may help:

20240402 164037
20240402 165246
20240402 165230

20240402 165159

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having trouble (of course :rolleyes:) with the install of P5 nerfs. They are not intended to pair with other skids than Hondas, but here I am.

I have the SSS skids, which I really like. @trigger, I know you went through a similar situation in your install.

Two attachment points are the issue. The forward mounting plate (flat) of the nerf can probably be sandwiched between the frame and the skid. The rearward plate (not flat), per Honda, requires their skid plate to be cut/notched around it.

Since this attachment point occurs at a join of two pieces of skid, I really don't want to cut them.

What do y'all think of cutting off the rolled edges of the plate bracket, effectively making it flat? I would then also sandwich it like the other. I would not have to cut all the way back to the nerf bar.

Pics, such as they are, may help:

View attachment 424033
View attachment 424034
View attachment 424035
View attachment 424037
You’ll lose a surprising amount of rigidity in that mount taking the lip off. What’s the seam of the skid look like at that point?

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got three of them! 😅
I’d definitely trim the aftermarket skid then for the nerfs to fit as designed. You could cut a healthy strip from one of your factory g-strings to tie the seam together. Maybe a 4” to 6” square or so. RTV (or silicone caulk or an adhesive glue that’ll stick to the plastic) and a couple of small screws on one side and just a couple of small screws on the other side. Thinking this seam patch would be on top of the skid. It’s really just an insurance thing to make it move as one piece and not let the seam catch. You probably wouldn’t have to do it all though.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Not have seen how these nerf's install on the P5 - but could it be possible to just mount them under the skid? Then just drill through the skid for the nerf bolts? Like I said- I've not seen them installed so not sure why you would absolutely need to notch the skid.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Not have seen how these nerf's install on the P5 - but could it be possible to just mount them under the skid? Then just drill through the skid for the nerf bolts? Like I said- I've not seen them installed so not sure why you would absolutely need to notch the skid.

Three mounting points, pretty sure it wouldn't align.

Here's a pic of what will need to be cut.

20240403 184057

Will have to drill two new mounting points, and +nuts.

20240403 184200

Reactions: KyGal83 and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!