HOW TO! I-4WD Delete (4x4 override/bypass) for Honda Talon

A

Aj_381

Mar 29, 2021
Yulee, fl
Ownership

1. Talon R
Th
You don't "need" the bypass if you have the TL, It will provide some redundancy in case the i4WD goes out but it won't do anything different than the i4WD switch. As a matter of fact, you lose a couple features with the bypass...

The bypass only engages the front diff clutch

i4WD engages the front clutch, enables the traction control (but really only anti-lock brakes) and enables the power steering boost.

With the TL, the i4WD traction control is still active but it no longer does anything because the front tires will no longer spin at different speeds.
the Bypass still helps eliminate the torque management.

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
the Bypass still helps eliminate the torque management.
A bypass doesn't just "help" eliminate it, it completely eliminates it and is only relevant if you DO NOT have a Torq Locker installed.

With the Torq Locker installed (that is what my post was all about), the torque management is (allegedly) a moot point because the computer, (allegedly) sees nothing is turning at a different speed in 4WD when you have a TL installed so it (allegedly) never activates the torque management.

Here is some real life testing (not just hearsay). I now have the TL and a bypass (not a delete) so I can go back and forth between i4WD and bypassed 4WD with the flip of a switch. I tested multiple times (with DynoJet log files) puling a 700 foot dune climb (that I have never successfully done before installing the TL) and there is absolutely no difference between i4WD and bypass. Not even a timing difference that has been mentioned before.

And in other testing where I can do a smaller (but still challenging) hill in 2WD, the machine is almost always faster in 2WD than 4WD. Apparently, 4WD eats a ton of power regardless if you bypass i4WD or not.

By using a bypass or delete, you lose your PS Assist Boost unless you bypass that too and as far as I know, I am the only one that even figured that our or knows how to manually enable it.

WITH a Torq Locker, the bypass or delete is not needed for normal driving and does nothing for you but makes your steering harder when you are in 4WD unless you bypass that too. Not saying it is useless, it does provide redundancy in case your i4WD system stops working but that is about it.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
in your testing BEFORE installing the TL, does a Hess switch disable the power steering boost if you have both switches On?

Again in testing BEFORE installing TL, With a Hess switch installed, if you turn Hess Off & I-4w On does everything about I-4w work as normal (including the power steering boost)?

Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
With a locker, this is more of a backup option to engage 4x4 in case of a fault.
Even with the locker installed, if your rig goes into i4wd fault mode, you will be stuck in 2x4 otherwise.
This override prevents this by giving 4x4 clutch control to the user, not the machine.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!