How To Tie Down A 500 In 8ft Pickup Bed

S

smitty42

Jan 20, 2015
Very seriously considering purchasing a 500 for the wife and I and have a question on securing it in the pickup bed. Have a 2006 Silverado HD with 8 foot bed. Only tie down points I have are on the side (4 front and rear each side) but it appears that the wheels will block them. It also appears that I will have to leave the tailgate down due to the 102.5 inch length. Would like to know where the best tie down points on the 500 are and where you attach them to the pickup bed.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Smitty42, welcome to the community.
Tough the wheels block the hooks they still can be used. Hook the long end up before pulling the Pioneer on. Once you pull the straps tight they will conform to the tires. Same for the rear. You could also use the tail gate latches on each side if it works better.
As for the tail gate. I too think it will need to be left open. Wheels should clear the gap, it just want go shut.
When I get home I will look at what Honda recommends as tie down points and let u see. You can also use the ROPS as points.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
One item I used for years when transporting my Rubicon in the truck bed was a device known as a "Louisiana Guard Dog". Essentially it connects to your class 3 receiver, tube runs vertically up, then forward with a boat trailer style coupler to attach to the ball mounted on the SxS's receiver. Rear tires ride on the tail gate. Mount it up, lock it down and go about your business.

Reactions: JACKAL
S

smitty42

Jan 20, 2015
BigRiver said:
One item I used for years when transporting my Rubicon in the truck bed was a device known as a "Louisiana Guard Dog". Essentially it connects to your class 3 receiver, tube runs vertically up, then forward with a boat trailer style coupler to attach to the ball mounted on the SxS's receiver. Rear tires ride on the tail gate. Mount it up, lock it down and go about your business.

Yes, I have looked at the "Guard Dog" and it is a good option. However, I have a 8ft bed and would like to keep the 500 as far into the bed as possible. The horizontal section that attaches to the rig is only 9" long plus approx 2" for tailgate clearance for vertical section. I really do not want the 500 that far out on the tailgate. I think I have come up with my own solution. My brother can weld and we think we can design a "modified" Guard Dog that will do away with the extra receiver and lengthen the horizontal arm to the desired length. Will use 2x2 inch square tubing and 4X4 inch square tubing to make the adjustable part of the device. We also have access to material at dealer cost so pretty sure cost will be less that the original.
Thanks for suggestion though.

S

smitty42

Jan 20, 2015
BigRiver said:
The Guard Dog Series does have a device to be applied to trailers, such as the method you described. Here's the link and check out the atv/trailer tie down model.

http://www.laguarddog.com/content.asp?CatId=222

Yes it is a excellent device for use on trailers. However, I am going to be using my pickup and the trailer tie-down system would not work.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I have one of these I used for my Rincon, had not gotten it out in years (since using a trailer), I'm going to have to dust it off and start using it. The biggest benefits, 1. it can take some weight and strain off of the tailgate, 2, absolutely no side to side or fore and aft moving of your machine, 3. you can lock it and it isn't going anywhere. Now where did I put those three sets of lock keys that fit it, hmmm.....

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
You mean these things cant fit in the back of long bed with tailgate up? thats the only reason I would buy one of these 500's cause I thought they would fit in nice and tight like a quad. I pull a camp trailer so it needs to fit in bed. hhhmmm.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You mean these things cant fit in the back of long bed with tailgate up? thats the only reason I would buy one of these 500's cause I thought they would fit in nice and tight like a quad. I pull a camp trailer so it needs to fit in bed. hhhmmm.
I know the FORD Superduty beds are 98.2" inside tailgate closed the Pioneer 500 is 102" long, add front bumper and winch get longer depending on type of bumper / winch mount.

Reactions: Remington
Misterrobert

Misterrobert

Sep 6, 2018
Melrose, NY
Ownership

1. 500
im going to take the bumper off and then i can close the gate.

IMG 20180907 173909

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
That was my thought as well, or get those shorter DG tailgate supports.
Those shorter DG supports are also great for hauling long lumber home at an incline to keep from sliding out. So quick and simple.

Reactions: trigger
Misterrobert

Misterrobert

Sep 6, 2018
Melrose, NY
Ownership

1. 500
i took the bumper off today. mine was held on by only 4 bolts, i read on here that its six normally? anyways it fits in. i had to put the rear tires up on a couple scrap 2x10s to raise the muffler safely over the gate but it fits in with the gate closed. i tied it off on each side in my rail pockets and was good to go. road tested and all is good. for me it beats towing a trailer around.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know the FORD Superduty beds are 98.2" inside tailgate closed the Pioneer 500 is 102" long, add front bumper and winch get longer depending on type of bumper / winch mount.
Your right, when I load mine on my 8’ Super Duty, I also have a brush guard and winch. The tires are about 3/4 to the end of the bed. I can close the tail gate about 3/4 shut

Reactions: trigger
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500

I just tie it down to the front mount points in the truck bed. Even with the 30" tires I can nearly close it. I back it in because my tailgate closes a bit more like that, and the bumper will not hit the glass. My Rear tires contact before anything else when I back in, also better weight distribution by 100 lbs.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Yes, I have looked at the "Guard Dog" and it is a good option. However, I have a 8ft bed and would like to keep the 500 as far into the bed as possible. The horizontal section that attaches to the rig is only 9" long plus approx 2" for tailgate clearance for vertical section. I really do not want the 500 that far out on the tailgate. I think I have come up with my own solution. My brother can weld and we think we can design a "modified" Guard Dog that will do away with the extra receiver and lengthen the horizontal arm to the desired length. Will use 2x2 inch square tubing and 4X4 inch square tubing to make the adjustable part of the device. We also have access to material at dealer cost so pretty sure cost will be less that the original.
Thanks for suggestion though.

You can get it into the bed a little further if you back it in rather than forward, as the front bumper sticks out so far on them. Also less weight hanging on the gate with the front wheels.

Reactions: Gassygordo
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Why does everyone feel the need to have a tailgate on, I just removed mine. Finally designed my own tailgate that the rear tires can sit on as I put a 35 gal fuel in the bed up front. I'll take a pic of how I secure my 500 in my 8' foot dodge pickup bed in the next day or so when I make it back home. I can load it, secure it and be on my way in 10 minutes. Oh yeah, and I can pull my 25' trailer at the same time, been working great so far.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!