Howdy

B

Biggs

Dec 6, 2013
Well after a full year of research, I believe I finally found the SxS that meets all of my needs. I will purchasing a Honda Pioneer 4 seater in a couple of months. I was almost going to bite the bullet and get the Polaris ranger 900 but I decided to check the Honda SxS site one more time. I am sure glad I did!

Living in Alberta, I do my share of hunting in the fall(Elk/Moose/Deer) and camping throughout the year. Mountains and muskeg is the terrain I battle.
Why the pioneer 4?
- 4 seats. It will fit my wife and son. This was a huge plus. We camp a fair amount and have a extended family full of quads and rzr's. The 4 seaters I have researched would do me no justice when I hunt. You could fit 3 people in the normal ranger, but it would be tight. I need a unit that has a full deck for my equipment with the optional seats when needed. The folding seats and respectable length of the pioneer is exactly what I am looking for.

- Towing. Pulling an elk or moose from a remote area is no easy task. I need something that can take the weight, my quad just can't handle it. Mind you it is a older unit.

- Comfort. I'm a tall guy 6'3...I need some leg room. One of my concerns with the pioneer is the bench seat though. My back is not the greatest, so I am not sure how well it will do me for the long rides. If anyone has some experience or suggestions, please let me know!

- Quality. Honda has always produced dependable units. I need this piece of mind when I’m 16km in the bush and the sun begins to set. This is my main reason why I am going Honda. I'm hoping the pioneer can live up to their ATV's reputations. Polaris and others also have some great units, but for a camping/hunting guy like me, I believe the pioneer will suit me best.

Looking forward to post my own review!
Cheers

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
welcome to the site biggs i think the pioneer is the perfect choice i am also a big guy 6ft 5 and older the pioneer is comfortable for me plenty of legroom it is a great machine and its priced right you can go wrong with it if you have any questions feel free to ask away the crew here are top notch

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Biggs, seems you have found the right rig. And the right site to help you with it. The P4 will make for a long lasting sxs. I feel it will meet all your needs and be enjoyed by the family for years to come.
Look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
Thanks.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Biggs thanks for the review and your thoughts. Word of mouth from happy buyers is the best way to help people make their own educated purchasing decisions.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
The bench seat BACK leaves a lot to be desired......Oh my aching back after riding in it....anyone found aftermarket seats? The sitting surface is marginal but the seatback.....ummmmm, NOT so good!--- at least a SEATBACK replacement would help!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The bench seat BACK leaves a lot to be desired......Oh my aching back after riding in it....anyone found aftermarket seats? The sitting surface is marginal but the seatback.....ummmmm, NOT so good!--- at least a SEATBACK replacement would help!
@digbydog, I have talked to a few people who did not like the lumbar support. They turned the seat back upsides down to reverse it.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
just remember to lean back! my back will start hurting and then I realize I am hunched over the steering wheel like an old man.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Lean back??????? That's what makes my back hurt! The setback is like a brick and I see NO WAY it can be reversed, it's molded to be in the position in which it's placed.....I was wondering if ANYONE dealt with this awful seat and found an aftermarket replacement? I am not an old man either......
just remember to lean back! my back will start hurting and then I realize I am hunched over the steering wheel like an old man.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@digbydog, I assumed we were talking about the 700 as it is held on by 5 bolts. The 500 on the other hand can not be flipped.
I know exactly what you are talking about with the hump pushing into your back. I felt it my first few trips and said the same thing... WTF. Now it am used to it and no longer find it a issue.
I have seen some pictures of bucket seat installs but can not find any info on them.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
I DO have a brand new 700-4 .... not a 500..... I too am thinking: "WTF? Why did Honda chince out and put in such an AWFUL seat?" the seat is contoured in such a way that I do not see how it could be reversed NOR how that would help...... Lumbar support? ....or LACK there of.........

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya.. lack there of.
Give it a try.
5 - 10mm bolts and few mins and ur done.
Fyi, you will not reuse the 5th, center bolt. Just screw it into the seat for keeping.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lean back??????? That's what makes my back hurt! The setback is like a brick and I see NO WAY it can be reversed, it's molded to be in the position in which it's placed.....I was wondering if ANYONE dealt with this awful seat and found an aftermarket replacement? I am not an old man either......
I have too blown out disks and spinal stenosis, I was just trying to tell you something that helps me out in order to help you out. and I am very sorry if you thought I was calling you an old man. I was tiring to refer to my own body falling apart "like an old man".
Sorry I have not heard of any aftermarket seats.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like old men to me

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!