H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Hp should be around 55 to 60, Width around 62 to 63 inches. I expect another 4 inches wheelbase. A sport model would have around 75 hp with a aggressive cam and another 10 inches of wheelbase plus around 13 inches of suspension travel. Most would buy a model like this except for the high end dune guys that need way over 100 hp for the sand and also the race guys. We may get the smaller 50 inch single cylinder sport model too. Hopefully next year and a high end high HP race/sand sport model. It takes about 5 years to develop and test a side by side like this so you count on the great design and build quality. It needed 6 speeds for a close ratio trans and slick shifting. Its easy for the Honda guys to get real happy with this Pioneer 1000.

The Commander, Ranger, Teryx, Arctic Cat, and Viking will lose sales to the Honda and the High HP sport models will take a hit from the 3 cylinder 135 HP Yamaha with paddle shifters. Most of the race and sand guys just hate belt drive.

Reactions: Ned
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If this engine is similar to the Africa Twins, they are talking 110hp. That doesnt mean this will be 110, but half? I'm thinking more around 75 -80

Reactions: ohanacreek
Mpnoonan

Mpnoonan

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Northeast Nebraska
I wouldn't think they would de-tune it more than 20% if the engine was derived from the Africa Twin.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I really like the 1000 but i'm only interested in a true sport take the engine from the 1000 add a turbo and the manual//auto shiftier with the paddles and better shocks. I would be all over that. The 700 does what i want so i just need to add a sport for trail riding. I think even if its 60-70hp or so you could get 100hp out of that engine i bet.

H

HAM hunter

Jan 31, 2014
HondaBob, I have to ask. Do you not think the 60" trail width thing would motivate Honda to keep the 1000 within that width? They kept displacement within the industry agreed on cap. I sold off trail bikes to include more younger members of my family and hunt elk around Flagstaff every year in drawn on Ntl Forest roads and trails. I need more umph than the 700 has at elevation but the 63" ish width of a Viking motivated me to wait for the new Pioneer. Is the 60" width on NF trails Not going to stick or be a big deal you think?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It might be 60 inches but the seats are high so for better safety with this kind of power I think 62 to 63. You could always add narrow wheel offsets to get it down to 60. I expect we will see a high hp about 80 version of this engine in a sport model next year.

chancesemar89

chancesemar89

Apr 3, 2014
louisiana
Wow , that's crazy. Detune a 1000/999cc engine so much that only makes 50-60 hp. Come on the new ranger 570, 800, and 900 have more hp Than that . Why even make a Inline twin. Or why not just revise the 700 single and my a 700 twin and have the same 50-60 hp. Just my opinion if your gonna release something that says Inline twin 999cc make sure you have the hp to back it up. Just cause that reason alot people will stick with the 700 or go some where else. I like it I want one just worried about the lack of power now . You should be able to have more hp out of a big bore twin cylinder . And you know that engine is capable of producing at least 115 hp. At lest put 70 hp in it

Reactions: catman
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow , that's crazy. Detune a 1000/999cc engine so much that only makes 50-60 hp. Come on the new ranger 570, 800, and 900 have more hp Than that . Why even make a Inline twin. Or why not just revise the 700 single and my a 700 twin and have the same 50-60 hp. Just my opinion if your gonna release something that says Inline twin 999cc make sure you have the hp to back it up. Just cause that reason alot people will stick with the 700 or go some where else. I like it I want one just worried about the lack of power now . You should be able to have more hp out of a big bore twin cylinder . And you know that engine is capable of producing at least 115 hp. At lest put 70 hp in it

If you listen carefully to the video, "....biggest in its class and PURPOSE built..." don't think its a detuned African Twin and then "...outstanding power and torque." <----read into that what you will.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Its a fairly short wheelbase with a high CG so 80 hp would make it a bit too fast. I expect the sport version will have 75 to 80 hp but Honda will need a 4 cylinder to compete with the Maverick and RZR 1000 Turbos. The sand dune and race market is small compared to the smaller sport and utility models. The 1000cc twin and a rear trans shows Honda is going after the other brands plus it has all the bells and whistles the customers want. The mud guys should like this Honda plus it will be about $10,000 less then the High Lifter RZR 1000. With the airbox intake up high behind the dash and the vents should also be high. The higher seats will be popular too. It looks like just add large mud tires and go riding.

C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
The powerplant for the new 1k was derived from hondas unicam design wich was developed for the fourstroke mototcross bikes, even in a mild state of tune this engine should be putting out close to 70hp. this very engine will be capable of much more hp. and will be the powerplant in the new sport sxs.For example hondas 450 crf motorcrosser puts out close to 60hp. with one cyl. honda didn't develope this engine for one applacation.

advertisement
chancesemar89

chancesemar89

Apr 3, 2014
louisiana
Yea I do understand. Just kinda of wow factor I guess I was expecting at least 70 with the machine I know torque is way up there. I don't know where all you guess are from. But where I'm from are guys take the rzr , mavrick. Do engine work and lifts for mud racing. So I guess it's where you live and depends on what application you will put the machine too. I still want that pioneer 1000. I bet you could open up that engine with a few modes

C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
Ya, 70hp. would suit me just fine too, but if this machine is much over 60in. wide it just might be a deal breaker for me. My xp900 was tight at 60in. on some wooded tree lined trails that i ride much wider would be a problem and i realy enjoythose type of rides, my fingers are crossed for a 60in. width!!!

C

celticknight76

Jul 29, 2014
I really like the 1000 but i'm only interested in a true sport take the engine from the 1000 add a turbo and the manual//auto shiftier with the paddles and better shocks. I would be all over that. The 700 does what i want so i just need to add a sport for trail riding. I think even if its 60-70hp or so you could get 100hp out of that engine i bet.
I think I red that it does have the manual shift option

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015

There's no hard info out there yet so there's no sense being disappointed about something HondaBob said. He doesn't know any more than you do at this point.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Honda is indicating class leading horsepower and torque, while the closest comparison would be the Polaris Ranger 900XP with 68 HP or the RZR 900 with 75HP each using the same design 875cc twin engine. So best guess is between 70 to 80 HP depending upon the class model they are comparing against. This Honda 999cc engine & DCT 6 speed transmission is nearly identical to the Honda Africa motorcycle also new for 2016 and it is rated at 110HP.

So if Honda has tuned this thing for say 70-75HP they still have 35-40HP easily to play with for future releases venturing into the pure sport market, this could be a heck of a base for them to build from. Given my riding style I will be tickled to death with the 1000-5 Deluxe as it is for trail riding I rarely get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time. But let Honda add 20-30 HP and 5" of suspension over the Pioneer 1000 in a pure sport chassis they will have a contender not everyone needs or can use the 120-140HP turbo setups for trail riding although great in the dunes the larger market share from the other 45 states doesn't live and play in a sandbox and this setup is in the right direction for recreational performance and reliability.

Reactions: catman and Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!