Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
While hunting in the 700 last fall, it seemed like I just didn't have enough room. Throw a couple tree stands in the back, a pop-up blind, and a cooler. NO ROOM !
Where the heck do you put the bow cases ? Our state requires a bow or firearm to be cased when transporting them. So I decided to try my luck at a "Front Rack".
Figured one made from aluminum would save on weight and make removing it easier when I need to access under the hood.

Using an old bow case as a pattern, I attempted to make an aluminum basket to hold the case. This was my first time working with 5/8" aluminum rod. So we won't talk about the practice bends, or what they cost! LOL ! Well, the basket finally took shape.

IMG 2601

IMG 2609

The basket is 48" wide x 24" deep at the widest part, with a 3 1/2" railing. Add a front mount that extends down to the top front bumper tube and mounts with two quick release clamps rated at 165 lbs. each.

IMG 2608

The entire basket and railing is made of 5/8" round aluminum rod. The mesh is 3/4 x 9ga. aluminum flat diamond stock. Two aluminum flat straps were bent into an odd "L" shape to mount against the windshield. These mounts and a tightening knob hold the rear of the basket. Off to powder coating to give it a good look .

IMG 2664

Above is a close up look at the windshield bracket.

IMG 2662

The entire project turned out much better than I expected. As a bonus, I now can tell exactly where the front corners of the 700 are ! This mod, along with the storage box, dual battery setup, electronics and dual winching capabilities posted in previous threads will make life tougher for the Elk !

Hope these ideas help you folks!

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
The QD Clamps that mount on the top bar of my 2018 front bumper are from B&H Photo :

Works great! I believe it has a 165 lb. rating per clamp. At $12 per clamp, not a bad deal.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While hunting in the 700 last fall, it seemed like I just didn't have enough room. Throw a couple tree stands in the back, a pop-up blind, and a cooler. NO ROOM !
Where the heck do you put the bow cases ? Our state requires a bow or firearm to be cased when transporting them. So I decided to try my luck at a "Front Rack".
Figured one made from aluminum would save on weight and make removing it easier when I need to access under the hood.

Using an old bow case as a pattern, I attempted to make an aluminum basket to hold the case. This was my first time working with 5/8" aluminum rod. So we won't talk about the practice bends, or what they cost! LOL ! Well, the basket finally took shape.

View attachment 204980

View attachment 204982

The basket is 48" wide x 24" deep at the widest part, with a 3 1/2" railing. Add a front mount that extends down to the top front bumper tube and mounts with two quick release clamps rated at 165 lbs. each.

View attachment 204983

The entire basket and railing is made of 5/8" round aluminum rod. The mesh is 3/4 x 9ga. aluminum flat diamond stock. Two aluminum flat straps were bent into an odd "L" shape to mount against the windshield. These mounts and a tightening knob hold the rear of the basket. Off to powder coating to give it a good look .

View attachment 204989

Above is a close up look at the windshield bracket.

View attachment 204988

The entire project turned out much better than I expected. As a bonus, I now can tell exactly where the front corners of the 700 are ! This mod, along with the storage box, dual battery setup, electronics and dual winching capabilities posted in previous threads will make life tougher for the Elk !

Hope these ideas help you folks!
Nice work, that looks great!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!