Talon I 4wd

J

John_Ross-1000R

Apr 19, 2019
usa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a talon R red and ever since I got it it seems something is wrong with the four wheel dig I live in va mountains this is the first sxs I have ever owned say I start up a steep hill that’s muddy my talon will spin you out on the hill with just the rear wheels digging come to a complete stop and let it roll back just a little and then all four will kick in but if you go a good distance it will come back out and start digging again it’s in been this way since I bought it in April well got to searching in the service manual and found where to plug in the jumper to read the codes and sure enough had a 1-5 code on it that is a rear abs sensor code pulled it out the sensor and a had a couple little tiny metal flakes cleaned it off cleared code test drove thought it was better guess it was in my mind at any given time I get stuck in a mud have to keep letting off the gas sometimes several times to get the front wheels to dig. Still thinking in my mind something not right well this evening took it for a spin started up a really steep place after a huge rain and same thing had to play with it to get the wheels to kick in got them in and half way up this really slick place I literally feel the front wheel kick out under a strain and yelp spun me out it was to steep to try to let off and get started again it wouldn’t pull out turn it around backwards and it’s right on every time you hit the gas it’s in all four but not forward. Never fells it will always dig backward as far as you wanna go almost like something is wired up backwards because it should go forward as good as it does backward Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone out there can help me other than that I love the machine but I've got to get the 4wd figured out I have a appointment with the dealer I bought it at on june 7 hopefully we can figure it out I’m ready to trade this pos off

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I have a talon R red and ever since I got it it seems something is wrong with the four wheel dig I live in va mountains this is the first sxs I have ever owned say I start up a steep hill that’s muddy my talon will spin you out on the hill with just the rear wheels digging come to a complete stop and let it roll back just a little and then it’s in been this way since I bought it in April well got to searching in the service manual and found where to plug in the jumper to read the codes and sure enough had a 1-5 code on it that is a rear abs sensor code pulled it out couple little tiny metal flakes cleaned it off cleared code test drove thought it was better guess it was in my mind at any given time I get stuck in a mud hole have to keep letting off the gas sometimes several times to get the front wheels to dig. Still thinking in my mind something not right well this evening took it for a spin started up a really steep place after a huge rain and same thing had to play with it to get the wheels to kick in got them in and half way up this really slick place I literally feel the front wheel kick out under a strain and yelp spun me out it was to steep to try to let off it wouldn’t pull out turn it around backwards and it’s right on every time you hit the gas it’s in all four but not forward. Sorry for the long post hopefully someone out there can help me I’m ready to trade this pos off
I don’t blame you... I’d get rid of that piece of s***... I’ll be there tomorrow with $2500!!

Reactions: sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
There is some kind of clutch assembly #20 that connects the front diff to the driveshaft. Pretty sure it is electrical and probably allows slip for shock loads. I would have the dealer check that out.

Clutch

J

John_Ross-1000R

Apr 19, 2019
usa
Ownership

1. Talon R
well I got a date to take it to the dealer hope I can get this resolved I have watched a lot of videos and I don't think no one is having issues with there 4wd the videos I watch looks like the wheels are digging, but that's my luck have the only talon with 4wd issues lol

H

HondaTech

well I got a date to take it to the dealer hope I can get this resolved I have watched a lot of videos and I don't think no one is having issues with there 4wd the videos I watch looks like the wheels are digging, but that's my luck have the only talon with 4wd issues lol

Our first X had the light pop up and woulsnt go off, had to replace the VSA and that fixed it. The right front solenoid valve was malfunctioning.

J

John_Ross-1000R

Apr 19, 2019
usa
Ownership

1. Talon R
well I've checked the computer several times after I cleared the one code and nothing has came back I have checked every thing I know and cant find nothing

T

THUNDERMAN

Jun 22, 2019
SW VA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just to let everyone know I got my talon back yesterday from the dealer and they changed the front clutch assembly and that fixed it. The 4wd works as it’s supposed to now
Good to hear John and glad they figured it out. Now get on them S H trails and ride. was good to meet you in grundy.

Reactions: John_Ross-1000R
T

TalonOwner

Nov 6, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Talon R
Our first X had the light pop up and woulsnt go off, had to replace the VSA and that fixed it. The right front solenoid valve was malfunctioning.
What is a VSA? my Talon R keeps getting the i4WD light popping up and won’t come off. I’d like to fix mine but don’t know what it is your calling a VSA. thanks.

H

HondaTech

What is a VSA? my Talon R keeps getting the i4WD light popping up and won’t come off. I’d like to fix mine but don’t know what it is your calling a VSA. thanks.

VSA is the technical term for the i4wd actuator, the big block under the passenger side hood that operates the brake function for the i4wd.

The customer I spoke of had the i4wd light that wouldn't go off. I cant remember the exact code, but it was for an internal circuit failure. We assumed that some debris got in the passage when it was made and clogged a passageway up.

You can pull codes, if there are any by shorting the connector under the drivers seat.

Reactions: Plumber32
T

TalonOwner

Nov 6, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Talon R
VSA is the technical term for the i4wd actuator, the big block under the passenger side hood that operates the brake function for the i4wd.

The customer I spoke of had the i4wd light that wouldn't go off. I cant remember the exact code, but it was for an internal circuit failure. We assumed that some debris got in the passage when it was made and clogged a passageway up.

You can pull codes, if there are any by shorting the connector under the drivers seat.
Awesome! Thank you for the reply. I got my Talon last month. I’ve got 200 miles on it now. Went for a ride this morning in the snow. About 4-5” deep and my i4WD light came on and stayed on for about a 1/2 hour then it went out and stayed out. I’ll have to check for error codes and if it comes on again hopefully I can replace the bad VSA. Where do I locate the codes? Is it the ESU? Also where is the ESU? Lol. I haven’t tore into anything yet but will look around tomorrow. Thank you so much for the quick reply. Happy thanksgiving

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!