Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
All sxs's have short comings, the P5 being no exception. The aftermarket has addressed most of the issues. Like Jackal linked, that Alumilite enclosure is BA but pricey. Turf mode on such a short wheelbase would lead to lawsuits, it lurches too much. Interior storage is an easy fix. Between the glove box, console, under dash storage and the Honda cargo bag we have room to spare for within reach storage. Throw a lockable box in the back and recovery equipment stays dry and secure. Better tires and some aftermarket shocks transforms the ride quality. EPS and Torq Locker are available as well. Had Honda addressed these issues up front it would've driven the price point too high for an entry level sxs. As for clunky shifting and such just hammer it, it'll get better with break in.
My '15 is going on 7 yrs old and has been put through hell on the trail. It's also my plow mule and I've even pushed stone with it. Other than routine maintenance and endless mods, I've never put a dime into it. At $8000...I stole it.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All sxs's have short comings, the P5 being no exception. The aftermarket has addressed most of the issues. Like Jackal linked, that Alumilite enclosure is BA but pricey. Turf mode on such a short wheelbase would lead to lawsuits, it lurches too much. Interior storage is an easy fix. Between the glove box, console, under dash storage and the Honda cargo bag we have room to spare for within reach storage. Throw a lockable box in the back and recovery equipment stays dry and secure. Better tires and some aftermarket shocks transforms the ride quality. EPS and Torq Locker are available as well. Had Honda addressed these issues up front it would've driven the price point too high for an entry level sxs. As for clunky shifting and such just hammer it, it'll get better with break in.
My '15 is going on 7 yrs old and has been put through hell on the trail. It's also my plow mule and I've even pushed stone with it. Other than routine maintenance and endless mods, I've never put a dime into it. At $8000...I stole it.
8k plus 45k in time and accessories. 😂🤣
my apologies if I’m low balling that.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have a Honda atv and P500 and a Polaris Ace 570. Had Polaris atvs, ‘97 250 and ‘96 400 two stokers with original belts after about 18 years. P500 engine braking on hills and utility design for chores a plus. Popo suspension smooth ride and speed a plus. No plans to sell either.

Last edited:
J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you for the honest review of these shortcomings in the P5 series. You and your contributions to the forum are invaluable as I’ve noticed while browsing for information on the 500 series. Regarding interior fixes, the competition offers a more useable interior for the same price point. Ride quality could also, IMO, be improved without deviating too far away from a competitive price point. Yes, EPS and diff lock would Increase the price possibly making it less competitive. Your explanation for lack of turf mode makes sense, thanks.

Spindle

Spindle

Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2019
Chesterfield, Va
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you for your input. We did buy the P520 blind, and have no regrets on our first venture in to a side by side. We bought it for the reliability and belt-less transmission as I mentioned. In today’s market one has to order expecting 4-10 months delivery. We were impatient, so our research was just to find one available now. At the time (mid-September) there were only 2 side by sides in the showrooms within a 500 mile radius from us, that required a splits moment to act upon in order to purchase. One was a Polaris RZR and the Honda P520. Guess what we bought?
The Honda was a good learning experiences, and as I said we will keep it. Perhaps just to tow our NorthStar edition out of the bush when it breaks down.
You've got the power steering and upgraded to 26" tires. Get the torq locker diff lock for the front and it's a new beast. I'm running 28s on my 500 and it goes anywhere.

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
Good thing that Northstar Edition has a heater and full enclosure ... it will keep you warm as you wait for someone in a Honda to come tow you back home ... ;)

And I agree with Bmurray - the ONLY machine I'd buy with a belt system is a Yamaha - 10 year belt warranty. My 2014 700 Grizzly 700 EPS still runs the same belt from the factory.
Any of the Japanese machines have the same belt durability as the Yamaha. I've had them all and no issues whatever. There's nothing special about the Yamaha ...

J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
This guy offers a pretty nice full enclosure, all aluminum & glass.

Nice, looks solid and like Honda should build. Price high, but you get what you pay for.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Any of the Japanese machines have the same belt durability as the Yamaha. I've had them all and no issues whatever. There's nothing special about the Yamaha ...
If they did, they wouldn't hesitate to give a 10 year belt warranty like Yamaha does.

But they don't.

Because they don't have the same belt durability as the Yamaha. The problem isn't the belt, either.

C

Cal1953

Jan 27, 2019
Saskatchewan
Ownership

1. 500
You forgot to mention its lack of air conditioning as well. Give me a break. You buy a machine for the purpose you intend it for. If your looking for a full enclosure, buy a jeep or something. My P500 has exceeded in every aspect I could imagine and Honda reliability has never left me in the Saskatchewan bush in 25 years. I have thousand of kilometers on my P500 now and as with all my previous Honda, which insidenly we still own, have always left me with a smile at the end of the day. On another note I have rescued numerous other makes broke down on the trail. In my opinion the first word to come to mind when talking performance in reliability.

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I ran a RZR for a while and never had trouble with the belt! If you use low gear when your supposed to the belt is almost a non issue. I always carried a spare belt with me but never needed it, they are pretty easy to change if you have to. I’m not sure about the Ranger but the rzr required twice the maintenance compared to the Honda but the rzr is more high performance oriented so it’s expected

Last edited:
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
If they did, they wouldn't hesitate to give a 10 year belt warranty like Yamaha does.

But they don't.

Because they don't have the same belt durability as the Yamaha. The problem isn't the belt, either.

That’s like saying Hyundai or Kia is the best vehicle you can buy because it has a 10 year 100k mile warranty

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
That’s like saying Hyundai or Kia is the best vehicle you can buy because it has a 10 year 100k mile warranty
Exactly! Was 10 years picked by the engineers or by the bean counters.
Bean counters will estimate how many belts are needed and add that to the cost of the vehicle.
Engineers are too stupid to realize there is more than one way to think about it.

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I’ve put some 350km on our machine since new, I am thrilled with this SxS as it is my first venture into this type of ORV. It is most capable, light and agile, and with the 26inch tire and wheel upgrade and power steering addition, I can keep up with the bigger machines on the trails that I ride on, at least here in northern ontario, Lake Superior way. However there are some shortcomings that are of great concern to me, and that Honda should take note of. Number one being, the lack of a hard enclosure for all of the Pioneer lineup. Soft doors doesn’t do it for me. Secondly, interior storage space is virtually none existent, at least in the P520. Never mind the pathetic undersized cup holders, I mean come on, in the land of the Big Gulp ?!
I am concerned that Honda reliability and beltless transmissions as the main selling features, may not increase their market share any, especially in view of the lack of a diff lock on the P520…totally unacceptable IMO. The competitions beltdrive systems and reliability have improved greatly in the past couple of years, and some even offer full hard enclosures on their small to midsize utility side by sides. For me, and my wife, coping with the dust is bearable and part of the ORV experience sure, but the cold weather is coming, never mind the biting season come spring, not looking forward to those riding experiences. For us, a hard enclosure is a must. We’ll keep this P520 and perhaps repurpose it somehow, maybe as a fair weather trail machine. We have researched and will be ordering a NorthStar edition shortly, just deciding on the SP570 or the 1000. An under 60” track is nice, so we are leaning to the smaller capacity UTV.
Share your thoughts, we’d like to hear.

View attachment 302142 View attachment 302143

this place makes a hard cab for the pioneer 500

Reactions: rtn001 and JRF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lol. Yes the Yamaha is great, put 12000km on my 2006 Kodiak with the original belt. Just sold it. Served me well.
Only just replaced the original belt on my 2008 Polaris Ranger this past summer. Nothing has ever broke down on it and it’s never stranded me on the trail, and it once pulled in my Pioneer 1000-3 when (as discovered later) a wire fell off….So no, I’ve never really had a honda break down on the trail either…😎👍

Reactions: Dave75
Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Only just replaced the original belt on my 2008 Polaris Ranger this past summer. Nothing has ever broke down on it and it’s never stranded me on the trail, and it once pulled in my Pioneer 1000-3 when (as discovered later) a wire fell off….So no, I’ve never really had a honda break down on the trail either…😎👍
What model Ranger? Some had zero options and not much to break.

BDBDA577 CDF5 40CD 9634 429D9B0F78F7 C700533E 4695 4E77 BB11 2CE9A9A3253F

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What model Ranger? Some had zero options and not much to break.

View attachment 310889 View attachment 310890
That one looks a bit older than mine. I have a Ranger 700. At any rate, a belt isn’t an option and options are not what people typically complain about failing on a Polaris. Too be 12 years old with never a mechanical failure is a feat for most any UTV/SXS.

The only photo I could find of it right now…

540624DF 6C9A 45EC 8F7D C270A4370DCD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!