P500 I love my P520 but….

J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Well, I’ve put some 350km on our machine since new, I am thrilled with this SxS as it is my first venture into this type of ORV. It is most capable, light and agile, and with the 26inch tire and wheel upgrade and power steering addition, I can keep up with the bigger machines on the trails that I ride on, at least here in northern ontario, Lake Superior way. However there are some shortcomings that are of great concern to me, and that Honda should take note of. Number one being, the lack of a hard enclosure for all of the Pioneer lineup. Soft doors doesn’t do it for me. Secondly, interior storage space is virtually none existent, at least in the P520. Never mind the pathetic undersized cup holders, I mean come on, in the land of the Big Gulp ?!
I am concerned that Honda reliability and beltless transmissions as the main selling features, may not increase their market share any, especially in view of the lack of a diff lock on the P520…totally unacceptable IMO. The competitions beltdrive systems and reliability have improved greatly in the past couple of years, and some even offer full hard enclosures on their small to midsize utility side by sides. For me, and my wife, coping with the dust is bearable and part of the ORV experience sure, but the cold weather is coming, never mind the biting season come spring, not looking forward to those riding experiences. For us, a hard enclosure is a must. We’ll keep this P520 and perhaps repurpose it somehow, maybe as a fair weather trail machine. We have researched and will be ordering a NorthStar edition shortly, just deciding on the SP570 or the 1000. An under 60” track is nice, so we are leaning to the smaller capacity UTV.
Share your thoughts, we’d like to hear.

63329CB2 3CB6 4825 99F0 FA4BE46F8368 5075634D 38D0 4FF3 A06A E62169BD573A

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Good thing that Northstar Edition has a heater and full enclosure ... it will keep you warm as you wait for someone in a Honda to come tow you back home ... ;)

And I agree with Bmurray - the ONLY machine I'd buy with a belt system is a Yamaha - 10 year belt warranty. My 2014 700 Grizzly 700 EPS still runs the same belt from the factory.

J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
nice looking machine. I love my P520. The only belt system I'd buy for myself would be the Yamaha R-Max.
Had a 2006 Kodiak (just sold it) and put 12000km on the original belt. Only changed wheel bearings and brakes last year. Yamaha has prob the best belt drive system. Agreed, but Rmax Is too wide for us. The SP570 is 56” wide. Love your Goldens.

DFE4F6AD 4864 46E1 BB57 3DB792729A02

J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Good thing that Northstar Edition has a heater and full enclosure ... it will keep you warm as you wait for someone in a Honda to come tow you back home ... ;)

And I agree with Bmurray - the ONLY machine I'd buy with a belt system is a Yamaha - 10 year belt warranty. My 2014 700 Grizzly 700 EPS still runs the same belt from the factory.
Lol. Yes the Yamaha is great, put 12000km on my 2006 Kodiak with the original belt. Just sold it. Served me well.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
In my opinion the Honda p500/p520 is more reliable than other manufacturers. There are a lot of people with many miles on their p500. Look at this forum for p500/520 problems and than look at forums for other bands. The p500/p520 is just a basic utv that works.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My 2003 Yamaha Rhino was sold in 2020. Had the original belt that I bought it with .

It was driven LITERALLY daily, three times, at least . Before daylight, at lunch and after work. Each time was from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. No leaks or failures or disappointments.

Same story work my 2001 Rubicon 500, first edition with the HondaMatic auto/standard transmission. No leaks or failures or disappointments.

I looked at the Yamaha, but I've been a Honda man since 1966. At 3, I rode a bicycle without training wheels (my dad said they were for babies) at 4, I had a Fuji Go-Devil mini bike, then a Honda Z50R followed by an SL-70,. Infected with the Honda bug since.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We have researched and will be ordering a NorthStar edition shortly
Are you sure you researched enough? That is a PooPoo and you dont need that heater! it makes heat naturally with 🔥🔥🔥

From the book I just read, sounds like to me that you knew everything your complaining about before you bought it or should have! Those things you stated are not a buy blind then realize moment especially being a member on here!

Heres my book lol.
The Honda is a well build quality and capable machine. Id worry more not just the belt but the high rpm and sound out of the belt drive. Just wait till u have that hard enclosure! I have 3 sleds and there loud enough with just a helmet.

If you take the time to search on here, there are plenty of dam good heaters that will run you out of there with a soft enclosure. Plus there are many other enclosures besides Honda’s to consider That are better.

Finally, Make sure you do more research by 10 times on that North Star than u did on that Honda. Or you may be doing this again on a PooPoo forum;)

J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Are you sure you researched enough? That is a PooPoo and you dont need that heater! it makes heat naturally with 🔥🔥🔥

From the book I just read, sounds like to me that you knew everything your complaining about before you bought it or should have! Those things you stated are not a buy blind then realize moment especially being a member on here!

Heres my book lol.
The Honda is a well build quality and capable machine. Id worry more not just the belt but the high rpm and sound out of the belt drive. Just wait till u have that hard enclosure! I have 3 sleds and there loud enough with just a helmet.

If you take the time to search on here, there are plenty of dam good heaters that will run you out of there with a soft enclosure. Plus there are many other enclosures besides Honda’s to consider That are better.

Finally, Make sure you do more research by 10 times on that North Star than u did on that Honda. Or you may be doing this again on a PooPoo forum;)
Thank you for your input. We did buy the P520 blind, and have no regrets on our first venture in to a side by side. We bought it for the reliability and belt-less transmission as I mentioned. In today’s market one has to order expecting 4-10 months delivery. We were impatient, so our research was just to find one available now. At the time (mid-September) there were only 2 side by sides in the showrooms within a 500 mile radius from us, that required a splits moment to act upon in order to purchase. One was a Polaris RZR and the Honda P520. Guess what we bought?
The Honda was a good learning experiences, and as I said we will keep it. Perhaps just to tow our NorthStar edition out of the bush when it breaks down.

Last edited:
W

Wiley

Nov 14, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Doors or an enclosure are of no interest for me, in fact I removed the nice hard doors off my Pro MX. But I agree on two things Honda dropped the ball on:
1) lack of storage and cubbies to stash stuff is especially puzzling since Honda is so innovative and leads the segment for this in their cars and truck.
2) No rear diff is a head scratcher and is costing Honda sales for sure, well it would be if production ever caught up. I certainly would be using mine unlocked most of the time on my trails to "Tread Lightly" because other than in snow my Mule is in 4WD maybe 15% of the time and the rear diff is locked maybe only1% of the time. And there is a pretty big segment who use small SxS's almost like a golf cart for buzzing around or a powered wagon for lawn tasks, and for many this crosses a P500 or P520 off their list because of hard steering and jerky turning on pavement and skidding on gravel or lawns.

Honda's 5-speed is kinda fun to shift but in all honesty it does so a bit clunky like an old ATV, I actually prefer a CVT which has a wet clutch with two ranges for most applications. I've never had to replace a belt in any of my three different SxS's, but I think I would rather do so than replace the clutch on my P520. Or change the hydrostatic transmission fluid and filter in an RTV.

Edit to add ride quality as one more area of improvement if they could. I realize there's only so long of suspension arms that can be packaged in a 50" wide machine and I haven't ridden a Polaris Razor for comparison.

But even with what I consider to be shortcomings I like how it runs, it has ample power and speed for my uses. It's comfortable, the 520's bed is a huge benefit, it's a nice looking machine and fun to ride.

Last edited:
J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
If you MUST have have a hard cab and heater, doesn't the Can Am defender have a version? I don't think it's as reliable as the average honda, but I'd buy one over a Polaris.
Yes, I am researching both forums for Can-Am and Polaris, to identify problem areas and owner impressions. Of course, taking into account owner bias as well.

J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Doors or an enclosure are of no interest for me, in fact I removed the nice hard doors off my Pro MX. But I agree on two things Honda dropped the ball on:
1) lack of storage and cubbies to stash stuff is especially puzzling since Honda is so innovative and leads the segment for this in their cars and truck.
2) No rear diff is a head scratcher and is costing Honda sales for sure, well it would be if production ever caught up. I certainly would be using mine unlocked most of the time on my trails to "Tread Lightly" because other than in snow my Mule is in 4WD maybe 15% of the time and the rear diff is locked maybe only1% of the time. And there is a pretty big segment who use small SxS's almost like a golf cart for buzzing around or a powered wagon for lawn tasks, and for many this crosses a P500 or P520 off their list because of hard steering and jerky turning on pavement and skidding on gravel or lawns.

Honda's 5-speed is kinda fun to shift but in all honesty it does so a bit clunky like an old ATV, I actually prefer a CVT which has a wet clutch with two ranges for most applications. I've never had to replace a belt in any of my three different SxS's, but I think I would rather do so than replace the clutch on my P520. Or change the hydrostatic transmission fluid and filter in an RTV.

Edit to add ride quality as one more area of improvement if they could. I realize there's only so long of suspension arms that can be packaged in a 50" wide machine and I haven't ridden a Polaris Razor for comparison.

But even with what I consider to be shortcomings I like how it runs, it has ample power and speed for my uses. It's comfortable, the 520's bed is a huge benefit, it's a nice looking machine and fun to ride.
Thanks for identifying additional areas of improvement that could be had of the P520. Ride limitations of the P520 suspension is unnecessary and could be enhanced in areas of suspension travel and softness. Other 50 inch track manufacturers have demonstrated a much more compliant ride.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Information is out there before you buy any utv. Hondasxs.com is the reason why I bought the p520 over the p700. When the p520 was sifting hard, Hondasxs.com had information that this is normal for a new p520. If anyone is not happy with their p500/p520 it should be an easy sell to get their money back.

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'm with DG Rider. I would hands down buy a Can Am Defender instead of a Polaris. This is based on extensive research of many UTVs and lurking on various forums. I picked my 2020 P500 because I came from the 50" trail-riding world and wanted to have something where my wife could sit beside me and I could still be small and nimble.
Even though a person can dress for any kind of riding weather, I get why you want something with a little more protection. Have you looked to see if there any aftermarket solutions to enclose your 520?
When everything is said and done you should buy what you want and works for you. Life is too short.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Well, I’ve put some 350km on our machine since new, I am thrilled with this SxS as it is my first venture into this type of ORV. It is most capable, light and agile, and with the 26inch tire and wheel upgrade and power steering addition, I can keep up with the bigger machines on the trails that I ride on, at least here in northern ontario, Lake Superior way. However there are some shortcomings that are of great concern to me, and that Honda should take note of. Number one being, the lack of a hard enclosure for all of the Pioneer lineup. Soft doors doesn’t do it for me. Secondly, interior storage space is virtually none existent, at least in the P520. Never mind the pathetic undersized cup holders, I mean come on, in the land of the Big Gulp ?!
I am concerned that Honda reliability and beltless transmissions as the main selling features, may not increase their market share any, especially in view of the lack of a diff lock on the P520…totally unacceptable IMO. The competitions beltdrive systems and reliability have improved greatly in the past couple of years, and some even offer full hard enclosures on their small to midsize utility side by sides. For me, and my wife, coping with the dust is bearable and part of the ORV experience sure, but the cold weather is coming, never mind the biting season come spring, not looking forward to those riding experiences. For us, a hard enclosure is a must. We’ll keep this P520 and perhaps repurpose it somehow, maybe as a fair weather trail machine. We have researched and will be ordering a NorthStar edition shortly, just deciding on the SP570 or the 1000. An under 60” track is nice, so we are leaning to the smaller capacity UTV.

View attachment 302142 View attachment 302143
I actually did the reverse, I owned several different Polaris units and when the Pioneer became available sold the Polaris and got a Honda. At the time, I was concerned with the long-term reliability of the Polaris. Now, the fit/finish, as well as the ride, are very nice on the Polaris and I suspect the Northstar is extremely nice and do not believe anything of that level of comfort is available from Honda as a factory option. Before buying a Northstar, I would spend time on a few other websites and get some feedback from owners before jumping in.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

View attachment 302142 View attachment 302143
This guy offers a pretty nice full enclosure, all aluminum & glass.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!